Sign in to follow this  
verydiscreet

How was this done?

Hi all,

Can someone let me know how this particular effect was done? Really cool...can someone suggest a site which has a similar effect making tutorial? I wanted to send Pariah Studios a tutorial request but am having problems registering there.

This was done by Royale. I guess it ain't polite asking studios how they do their work :)

Edited by verydiscreet

My thought on it would be something like the cubes all lined up and then blown left or right with an effector with falloff, and two sides of the cubes are alpha channels. Then you bring the background image through the alpha channels in AE. I think i'm close, but there might be an even better way to go about it.

isnt there a normal mapper plug for AE that would allow the photos to be laid in and replaced/edited in AE...

if it was pure alpha channel, the tilty bits of the blocks wouldnt rotate the image, it would look just like a window through instead of being actually mapped to the cube

on second thought... maybe on this is an alpha channel technique

isnt there a normal mapper plug for AE that would allow the photos to be laid in and replaced/edited in AE...

if it was pure alpha channel, the tilty bits of the blocks wouldnt rotate the image, it would look just like a window through instead of being actually mapped to the cube

on second thought... maybe on this is an alpha channel technique

Oh, you're right. I forgot, it does look like the images are attached to the sides of the cube.. hmm. Possibly a projection on to those cube faces then and then rotated along with the cube?

Oh, you're right. I forgot, it does look like the images are attached to the sides of the cube.. hmm. Possibly a projection on to those cube faces then and then rotated along with the cube?

Look again - as the cubes rotate the images don't rotate with them - you just get tricked into thinking they do because of the shadows & sweeping movement. For this I'd use just a solid black face on one side, a solid white face on the second side and render the transition without shading. This forms the matte. Then render again with pure white+AO for the shading, which is multplied over the transition.

This way the channel has a simple transition it can use over and over by just changing the foreground/background footage. Doing it in 3D is fine but fiddly, you can get away with it here as the cubes are quite small and quick.

Yup, you should trust your instincts Jedi...

But, with the blast shield down I can't even see! How'm I supposed to mograph?

*cue some snide remark from Harrison ford in the corner*

I realy like that although my c4d is rendering, I can still open a new project window and play...C4D only...rotation by random effector on Y axis

capturejh.jpg

@vozzz Thats my life story, 2 steps, one big drop :) )

@stoiqa: that is an absolutely awesome avatar =)

Edited by stoiqa

if you did want the images to rotate, you could do the whole AO pass thing, then do a UV pass and use re:map to swap out the images in after effects instead of re-rendering out of your 3d app every time.

On a related note, it seems the whole AO/boxes/rotating thing is picking up steam... its popped up more and more over the last year.

if you did want the images to rotate, you could do the whole AO pass thing, then do a UV pass and use re:map to swap out the images in after effects instead of re-rendering out of your 3d app every time.

Great, that's nice advice. I'd heard about Re:Map, but kind of dismissed it as '3D for people who don't do 3D' - but you're right it looks useful for all sorts of production trickery ;)

re:map is a gold mine for production trickery. I highly highly recommend it, especially if you are integrating graphics with complex 3d in after effects.

Its probably somewhat weak for a hardcore texture artist, but its applications in motion graphics very very deep.

I'm currently animating graphics on the surface of a globe with it.

The old way to do this would be to render the flat animated texture from AE, test render in 3d, tweak your AE map, test render in 3d app, et etc.

Now I just render the UV pass of the globe from the 3d app, bring it into AE, then interactively tweak the map re:mapped texture map on the globe with no additional 3d renders.

Edited by monovich

:rolleyes: Wow, so many responses. I am trying to work out one of the solutions posted.

But to speed up things, would someone be kind enough to make a sample scene with settings that one can follow?

I thought I was stupid when I posted this thinking why would people waste their time on a noob's question.

Thanks people :)

Guest Sao_Bento

:rolleyes: Wow, so many responses. I am trying to work out one of the solutions posted.

But to speed up things, would someone be kind enough to make a sample scene with settings that one can follow?

I thought I was stupid when I posted this thinking why would people waste their time on a noob's question.

Thanks people :)

Now that you're venturing into "do my work for me" territory, I imagine you'll start getting hints that your crossing the line.

@ Sao_Bento,

Lol, I wasn't drifting into that territory. It's just that I am a noob and would like to get started off in the right direction.

The first "hint" I'd take would be to go the C4D/any other 3D program way or completely AE?

And stoiqa did say that there was some kind of tutorial that would help me learn how this was done. Just thought I'd be lucky in getting a link to that.

Edited by verydiscreet

This thread pushed me to finally go try and figure this one out. I think I got pretty close with a combo of a Shader Effector with noise and a plain effector for the last part with the logo. I used a split up cube rendered with different Object buffers for each side to do the masking in After Effects. I will be recording a full tutorial for this one that should be out on monday.

Here is the video: http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2010/04/discovery-channel-rebrand-tutorial-sneak-peak/

Thanks for the push to finally get this one worked out!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Nick Campbell

Sounds good, lookin' forward to it. Although i'm interested in what Monovich was saying:

re:map is a gold mine for production trickery. I highly highly recommend it, especially if you are integrating graphics with complex 3d in after effects.

Its probably somewhat weak for a hardcore texture artist, but its applications in motion graphics very very deep.

I'm currently animating graphics on the surface of a globe with it.

The old way to do this would be to render the flat animated texture from AE, test render in 3d, tweak your AE map, test render in 3d app, et etc.

Now I just render the UV pass of the globe from the 3d app, bring it into AE, then interactively tweak the map re:mapped texture map on the globe with no additional 3d renders.

Sounds like a truer version of the effect that doesn't use alphas but actually has the pictures in slices on the cube faces.