Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

Getting your own group health plan

Despite the fact that I am full time with Red Giant, I am technically a contractor with them and therefore not on a group plan. After much searching, I've found a pretty decent solution. I linked up with the VES Benefits Agency, the agency associatead with the Visual Effects Society. Currently, the VES is too small of a group to actually have a "group plan", but their agency has kind of a workaround, and they'll sit down and do it with you. This will allow you to secure a group plan, with no possibility of denial, including maternity coverage. The steps are simple:

1) set up a general partnership agreement between yourself and your spouse. This costs $23 to file in LA county.

2) Go to IRS.gov and obtain and Federal Tax ID number. This is free and takes 5 minutes.

3) With your partnership filed and your tax#, you can set up a group plan for your company.

The agency listed below will actually do this with you, all but signing your own name. Listed below is the contact info for the VES benefits agency.

Scott Brandt

VES Benefits Insurance Agency | Individual/Family Plans

19935 Ventura Blvd, Suite 300 | Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Phone: (877) 700-8415 | Direct: (818) 451-4642 | Fax: (800) 775-0224

Break a leg and have babies!

Nice. Thanks for sharing!

While I don't need it at the moment, I'm sure there will be more questions, such as:

• Strictly medical or are there dental / vision options?
  • What type of coverage options (%) do they offer?
  • How are the prices, compared to the individual blue cross plans?
  • Is it PPO, HMO, etc?
  • Coverage for lawyer fees in civil court cases?

Edited by AromaKat

Nice. Thanks for sharing!

While I don't need it at the moment, I'm sure there will be more questions, such as:

• Strictly medical or are there dental / vision options?
  • What type of coverage options (%) do they offer?
  • How are the prices, compared to the individual blue cross plans?
  • Is it PPO, HMO, etc?
  • Coverage for lawyer fees in civil court cases?

You can get anything that is available to any large group, including dental,vision, AD&D, life, etc. PPO & HMO are available. Prices depend on what you get... but, the cost is comparable to what you get independently. The value is, in my case, being able to GET coverage, and getting GOOD coverage.