Sign in to follow this  
samwelkertv

My portfolio!

Hey guys!

I'm a 3D, film, visual, motion media enthusiast. I'm passionate about my work and getting so much better everyday! I am currently learning the Computer animation industry standards. I will be posting either daily or every other day. I do keep up on my site. I do live shows too! I have plans to keep tutorials running and showing off my work. I might be adding a piece to the page where you can get your work posted! Make sure to check out my site and tell me what you think!! Thanks guys!! I need all the critique's I can get! I love the constructive criticism because I can build off of that and be better. I truly love it!

I'm glad to be here on this forum with all these awesome people!

Thanks for being supportive and amazing!

The PsychoChromatic Enginear!

or

SamWelkerTV

Yeah, I don't really know where to begin.

Are you baiting us, or is this for real?

All apologies for being incredulous, but there's a lot of weird shit out there on the interwebs.

Yeah, I don't really know where to begin.

Are you baiting us, or is this for real?

All apologies for being incredulous, but there's a lot of weird shit out there on the interwebs.

haha this made my day. anyway, hi Sam. your site weirded me out since the domain redirects to a dropbox url (I know what dropbox is... it just looks weird to see it in the url of your site). I like your enthusiasm though :)

This isn't bate. I know what you mean. I am being 100% serious. I work in maya, cinema 4D, Adobe CS4 (CS5 soon), Final cut studio, and Zbrush. I am learning and I'm a huge enthusiast with amazing passion. I have a ton of talent and creativity ready to be put to use! I will be putting out amazing work for sure! Thanks for the comment about my site by the way... yah it's weird.. Drop box has free hosting and I'm 17 so I need free hosting. I am going to be working hard to have amazing content on the site for you guys! I want to be up there on blog lists with Graymachine, Greyscale Gorilla, Video Copilot, and all the others! I want to be your guys friend on here so for starters I'm sam, I'm glad to meet you! How has your day been?

Thanks

Sam Welker

The PsychoChromatic Enginear!

Where to start.

Im pretty sure you arent going to get many votes on that poll...and if you do, they arent going to be what you hope to see. I think people are trying to restrain themselves from total flaming because you are clearly just starting out and have good intentions.

...but it might be a nice reality check to hear some input.

The first time I posted my reel was on a similar dropbox site and youtube. I sent it to a studio guy in the city for feedback...(Hoping to hear how it was an awesome reel and that I had some ultra skills) Needless to say, my reel sucked big time, and I had packaged it in a crappy unprofessional manner. I was in no way ready to show off anything to anyone, or enter the workforce as a freelancer. It took a while, but i finally got some feedback from the studio guy...and it was a big wake up call. 1. I needed to get my own website. 2. I needed to skill up before showing anything else (no one wants to see tutorials in demo reels... 3. I needed to reevaluate where my skill level was.

It seems that if you post something on here and its generic and meh, no one will say anything. If its really terrible or bizarre, then you will have the trolls come out. There are other websites that you can go to and post anything, and you will have swarms and swarms of people congratulating, praising, and telling you how much talent you have. This is not that place. There are a lot of mega pro dudes here, (way more skilled than i will ever be) you will be lucky to get some positive critique without being super humble or ready to hear the truth.

Some major stuff:

1. The work you do have up isnt super bad (this site has definitely seen much worse, even from people with more years of experience, but its lacking in a lot of areas...typography, design, color theory, animation. These are things you will learn along the way /@ school.

2. You seem to be promoting yourself too much, too soon, but I do like the idea of a blog about learning the basics. You shouldn't be promoting tutorials or skills of any kind because you come off as irritating and cocky. Dont post fails, and dont expect to get feedback on something that you shouldnt be showing to the public. (Hey guys check out this shitty thing I made lol is not a way to get recognized)

3. You're 17...I thought I had my shit on lockdown at 17..but in college I changed professions about 10 times...then I happened to land a flash animating gig while looking for a job at a radio station. Now I work for as an animator at a video game company. (and my corporate reel still blows ass) Who knows what you will be doing in 5 years from now.

4. Just be chill, your enthusiasm is cool, but you could tone down the "I want to be your guys friend on here for Make Benefit the Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" We are all regular people here. And being a regular dude is probably more important than a good reel (in terms of getting hired)

5. Get a website...I paid like $10 for a year of hosting on my first site and it helped me get a job.

6. I'd drop the live webcam stuff unless you need it for something.

Closing thoughts

You have a lot of time to get better, you are starting out early, and software/computers are much more user friendly nowadays. So you have a headstart. Read some design blogs (gsg is pretty cool and i see you are trying to emulate him)...check sites like behance.net for inspiration...check videocopilot for tutorials (but for the love of sweet raptor jesus, do not put any of it in your reel)

Sorry, ill also have to agree. It reads unprofessional, and much more like the sites when the times free webhosting like geocities and angelfire were popular.

Design is just a major factor that I think you need to take more time into before showcasing your work. First impressions matter right? And i think youll want to grad peoples attetion who are coming to your site in hopes of a professional giving quality tutorials.

The nav bar seems to be a different color than your welcome page. I don't know if this is intentional but the nav bar is barely visible, grey on grey with a darker shade of grey rollover isnt a great combination.

Also a bit that throws me off is the use of quicktime, then vimeo, It doesn't looked streamlined, and more of a collage.

I see where supaidaaman gets the "irritating, cocky" tone, Its a bit unnerving to see your picture on almost all pages, sometimes a couple times cause of the vimeo preview.

I definitely see where the influence of GSG comes from. Im not sure if this is his thing but your title up on the header of your welcome page duplicated on top of another, reads to me like a huge bite off of the GSG blog. (you can correct me if im wrong though) And his influence is

I don't mean to be rude, my apologies if i come off that way.

Edited by JeffreyM

on that url note, what I meant is that since you paid for the domain, most domain companies allow you to keep the url to mask whatever host you are forwarding it to. Usually it is just a simple option in your control panel (for example, in GoDaddy it is called forward masking or something to that effect. So, you don't need to buy hosting for what you're trying to accomplish, just enable url masking. Your site will still be hosted for free on dropbox or whatever you choose and you will keep samwelkertv as the url on every page. Just adds a slight bit to the professionalism. 

Sorry, ill also have to agree. It reads unprofessional, and much more like the sites when the times free webhosting like geocities and angelfire were popular.

Design is just a major factor that I think you need to take more time into before showcasing your work. First impressions matter right? And i think youll want to grad peoples attetion who are coming to your site in hopes of a professional giving quality tutorials.

The nav bar seems to be a different color than your welcome page. I don't know if this is intentional but the nav bar is barely visible, grey on grey with a darker shade of grey rollover isnt a great combination.

Also a bit that throws me off is the use of quicktime, then vimeo, It doesn't looked streamlined, and more of a collage.

I see where supaidaaman gets the "irritating, cocky" tone, Its a bit unnerving to see your picture on almost all pages, sometimes a couple times cause of the vimeo preview.

I definitely see where the influence of GSG comes from. Im not sure if this is his thing but your title up on the header of your welcome page duplicated on top of another, reads to me like a huge bite off of the GSG blog. (you can correct me if im wrong though) And his influence is

I don't mean to be rude, my apologies if i come off that way.

No, your not being rude, I asked for every bit of this and I'm grateful for it. I'm aware of the Nav bar issue.. my HTML editor is being dumb and I'm having issues changing it.. I also do realize the title looks like a GSG knock off.. I'm currently planning to completely renew my site, the entire look needs redone. and it is overwhelming i guess.. Too much me.. I am glad you guys weren't afraid to be honest. Thanks for all of this input! I will work on that and hopefully soon I'll have an amazing site.

I am 17, I know I'm going to get a LOT better.. but I also know that I'm FAR better than i was a year ago.. I didn't know this stuff existed then.. When i'm 18 I'll be 100 times better and 19 I'll be 1000 times better and so on. I learn new stuff every day! I'm excited to keep getting better.. I'll be buying better hosting when I can afford it.. I can't right now so I use dropbox.. Where can you get cheap or free hosting? I have a domain but I need to be able to get great hosting and be able to manage my site from my desktop... not have to be online while editing.. I hate that..

Thanks guys for all the help!

Sam Welker

Thanks for the tip on Domain masking.. Now you can go to http://www.samwelkertv.com/ and not have to see the drop box domain. I didn't know I could do that.. I'll be working on professionalism later today too.. and I think I'll keep up the tutorials.. I know After effects pretty well and I know Cinema enough to at least teach the new comers a lot. I know the basics. Thanks guys! I love the help, and you're right about how I came into this whole thing..

I guess I sounded like I was trying too hard to be your friend..

Thanks again for everything

Sam Welker

The best advice I can give you is....

Shut down your site, quietly work for a few years on getting better at communication, typography and design in general, then bust the door in and set up shop.

The reality is, when you think you're the shit, you're usually not.

Also no offense to people at Full Sail, but there isn't much innovation at that school. Mostly technical know how. Design requires more than technical knowledge. There's plenty of posts about that.

Take a look at Binky's post history and read up some of his feedback towards other members. It's spot on, 95% of the time.

As far as my viewpoint on what you're doing...I think it seems a little pretentious, but I don't think you know what you're doing right now, but that's normal.

There's a butt-load of amazing work out there. You shouldn't only look at tutorials. Check out what the big boys are doing, or even what top end schools are doing and what their graduates have in their portfolios.

Good luck!

Edited by hyp3

Keep in mind this is a blog.. a blog doesn't have to be perfect.. I don't think I'm the coolest thing ever.. I know for a fact that I'm not.. Doesn't mean I can't be confident and Know that I do have the ability to work. I do have some good stuff, not great, not AMAZING stuff.. but I can make great stuff right now. I also know that full sail doesn't teach enough of the art side.. but I knew that going in.. No matter there.. I'm learning that from many different other blogs.. Thanks for all of the opinions.. I am going to completely restart my website.. it needs it.. you guys are right.. I'm not going to close down for a few years though.. I don't want to do that.. I want to keep up a blog.. Even in it has only semi decent content.. My blog doesn't need to be perfect.. just saying I'm here to stay.. I am glad I got your guys opinions.. i'm going to restart and my site will be much better this time around.. Thanks!

Sam Welker!

Keep in mind this is a blog.. a blog doesn't have to be perfect.. I don't think I'm the coolest thing ever.. I know for a fact that I'm not.. Doesn't mean I can't be confident and Know that I do have the ability to work. I do have some good stuff, not great, not AMAZING stuff.. but I can make great stuff right now. I also know that full sail doesn't teach enough of the art side.. but I knew that going in.. No matter there.. I'm learning that from many different other blogs.. Thanks for all of the opinions.. I am going to completely restart my website.. it needs it.. you guys are right.. I'm not going to close down for a few years though.. I don't want to do that.. I want to keep up a blog.. Even in it has only semi decent content.. My blog doesn't need to be perfect.. just saying I'm here to stay.. I am glad I got your guys opinions.. i'm going to restart and my site will be much better this time around.. Thanks!

Sam Welker!

good luck with that

Hey, your enthusiasm is definitely a good thing and having goals etc. is really good but the way it comes across in your blog is a tad James Bond villain-esque like you want to take over the world one animation package at a time. I'd chill out a bit on the excited puppy outside :) keep the enthusiasm there and have it on tap to talk like you're excited about your work when the time is right but for me personally it's a bit too much sorry.

Also I know it's been said and noted already, but Nick Campbell's already doing a decent job of being Nick Campbell ;)

Good luck with everything I'm sure the constructive comments will do you good, listen to people here as you are doing and they will continue to help!

Matt

Yah... didn't mean to sound like the gorilla on my site.. and Okay.. I will drop it down a bit.. I'll go with a calmer feel.. I think more planning is in order.. then revision.. thanks guys! I'll definitely take your advice and fix up everything to where it needs to stay at for a great site!

sincerely

Sam Welker

Adding a piece, are you guys suggesting that I just stop and wait or are you suggesting I restart now?

Okay, I put together a color scheme. It's in an adobe illustrator file.. It might be possible to be viewed with a PDF.. What do you guys think of these colors? http://ia331229.us.archive.org/3/items/AdobeIllustratorSamwelkertvColorSchemeTest/

I want a fun, softer, easy feel to my site, a little electronic and automated feel too.. And some edge thrown in.. just a little..

Edited by samwelkertv

So do you want to be a designer or a person who does tutorials for a living?

Because those two do not cross paths, most of the time.

Edited by hyp3

So do you want to be a designer or a person who does tutorials for a living?

Because those two do not cross paths, most of the time.

Very true.

this has to be some sort of hilarious data mining practical joke parody operation...

LOL