Sign in to follow this  
samwelkertv

My portfolio!

I think I know what I'm going to do.. I have my color scheme picked out.. I may revise it a little.. but i will be making a brand new site soon.. I know what I'm doing a little more now because of all of your help! thanks! I can't wait to get this project working!

Sincerely

Sam Welker

I think I know what I'm going to do.. I have my color scheme picked out.. I may revise it a little.. but i will be making a brand new site soon.. I know what I'm doing a little more now because of all of your help! thanks! I can't wait to get this project working!

Sincerely

Sam Welker

I like Sam for his passion. This kid is determined.

However, Sam, I honestly hope you take the critiques and learn you've got miles to go, and that you'll never arrive at any destination being a designer, everyone on here is still learning as we go. As new-age hippie as it sounds (and I've known a lot of hippies :P ) the joy really is in the (long) journey. Some have learned more, some have learned quicker, but the worst are those who let confidence stunt their learning.

So goals should be more to learn, make beautiful images, evoke feelings, catch and hold viewers' attention, and solve visual problems. Do that first, and I guarantee more people will be interested in what you have to say. Those people will be the Sam Welkers of 3 or so years from now.

Be confident in your abilities, but know your limitations.

I like Sam for his passion. This kid is determined.

However, Sam, I honestly hope you take the critiques and learn you've got miles to go, and that you'll never arrive at any destination being a designer, everyone on here is still learning as we go. As new-age hippie as it sounds (and I've known a lot of hippies :P ) the joy really is in the (long) journey. Some have learned more, some have learned quicker, but the worst are those who let confidence stunt their learning.

So goals should be more to learn, make beautiful images, evoke feelings, catch and hold viewers' attention, and solve visual problems. Do that first, and I guarantee more people will be interested in what you have to say. Those people will be the Sam Welkers of 3 or so years from now.

Be confident in your abilities, but know your limitations.

Such kind words Mars, you brought a tear to my eyes

I agree with everyone on here and hope you take these criticisms as a guide for improvement. Definitely focus more on the fundamentals of art/design/typography. All of the tools and programs we have available are great, but they won't make a bad design good. Any monkey (including myself) can follow a tutorial step by step. As supaidaaman said, tutorials are great resource, but don't post in your reel (or site for that matter).

Hmmm..... at Full Sail, eh?

Well, looks like your just starting out there - or you would have much different material. Things will change drastically month after month for you. But... gotta tell you, as a Full Sail graduate, that it is not "real world experience" by any means. You will need to learn A LOT on your own after graduation. Seriously.... a lot.

Basically, you need to relax, realize that your not going to be a pro after graduation, and use your time there to learn how to learn. Stop wasting time doing these blogs, thinking you have something to teach the world. You don't. You need to be in full-time learning mode. It is VERY important in that school to learn 5x more outside of school than you learn in it. They pump out a whole new class a month, and anything gets a passing grade. Out of 30 people that were in my class, only 2 of us are working within an industry related to our schooling there (without continuing education at a real college) - and it was long, hard road for us.

Your enthusiasm is great - you will need it when you continually get beaten down once you start trying to land gigs. But, for now - your kinda seen as a joke. Take your site down, no matter if its a blog or whatever. Its important that you keep your internet identity as squeaky clean and professional as possible - with the future in mind. Someone Googles your name when you apply for a job a few years down the line, see this archived (which you can't get rid of) and they will probably move on to the next guy.

If you want to make tutorials or something, fine... But don't tie your real name to it.

I think I know what I'm going to do.. I have my color scheme picked out.. I may revise it a little..

I think the website itself is the least important issue. Guys like Nick Campbell, Andrew Kramer, Harry Frank, and John Dickinson were established designers before they went on to start their sites. The 'if I build it, they will come' mentality is what kills it for me. Establish yourself in the industry before trying to conquer the world.

Sam,

Your passion and drive is infectious. Don't let any of this critique stuff do anything but help you get better and learn more. You seem like you have the right attitude so far. Keep it up.

PlanetFour summed it up perfectly. The journey is what is important. Keep playing, learning, and creating with passion and you will do just fine.

I agree also that the site design and how many followers you have is the least important thing right now. Having a blog won't hurt things, but don't let it be a distraction from the real work of becoming an artist.

Be open to everything, and learn from everyone.

Keep it up, Sam!

EDIT for misspelled words.

Edited by Nick Campbell

Your passion and drive is infections.

I assume you didn't mean "infections"? but rather infectious maybe?

smile.gif

But agreed, remember where your should direct your focus at different times.

Nothing like a hard kick in the nuts from the folks on mograph.net ;)

Haha words well spoken.. but they're right.. My site needs a huge revision.. I'm currently making my site a blog.. but I will switch it up into a portfolio with a side blog.. I am not going into design or tutorials.. I'm going into film.. I could happily be working in design.. but my dream is film and I'm going to work my tail off to get there!

Sam Welker

Hey guys,

just wanted to thank you for ALL of your help! All of this critique got me down for a little.. but now I'm doing way better than before.. I have been able to understand what all of you mean now.. I agree with nick.. A blog won't hurt.. I'll still do it.. I won't make it something that can hurt my career.. And I will keep school and learning my first priority.. Thanks for all of the critique and advice. I got exactly what I asked for and I'm thankful. I agree with everything stated especially about full sail... I know that they can only prepare me to a point.. that's why full sail is only half my education.. I'm looking everywhere online to get all of the real world understanding I can.

Staying optimistic and enthusiastic while learning right now is my best bet. I'm very glad to be on Mograph.net.. I believe that you guys only want to help. Thanks. And nick you're the man! Sorry if it seems I ripped you off a bit.. Not trying to do that.. My site didn't reflect enough of me.. I'm revising it to reflect who I am so I can have my personality shown instead of my web design skills (which suck right now)

Oh and the whole comment about "Be confident about your abilities, but know your limitations.." I've been told that so many times.. I have that as my life motto right now.. It's a very good piece of advice.. and hearing it on here reminded me to concentrate on that.. Thanks..

k.. I'm going to go get a drink.. probably some water.. Peace!!

Thanks

Sam Welker

Haha words well spoken.. but they're right.. My site needs a huge revision.. I'm currently making my site a blog.. but I will switch it up into a portfolio with a side blog.. I am not going into design or tutorials.. I'm going into film.. I could happily be working in design.. but my dream is film and I'm going to work my tail off to get there!

Sam Welker

You might want to check this place out (VFX Talk)

Oh and the whole comment about "Be confident about your abilities, but know your limitations.." I've been told that so many times.. I have that as my life motto right now.. It's a very good piece of advice.. and hearing it on here reminded me to concentrate on that.. Thanks..

Don't thank me, thank the mighty Del the Funky Homosapien on the classic 1993 Souls of Mischief track, 'Limitations'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-VI1Z3gGo

But I've been told often I sound like him when I rap, so I get that.

I've started the revision! What do you guys think of this version? i think the logo needs to be bigger.. but I'm waiting on your opinions before I go make anymore changes.. Thanks guys for all of the help! I'm definitely going to stick around on this forum for a long time!

Oh here's the link.. :: My link

Edited by samwelkertv

I think a word that was inferred a lot but not used in these critiques is patience. Honestly.. I don't want to see your website. I don't care if it looks better tomorrow. Its not going to change what we're telling you.. There's no reason for you to try and have a website that looks 'industry ready' or what have you. You said you didn't know this stuff existed a year ago.. Well, its going to take more than a year to get good. Its not about doing every tutorial online and reading every forum.. Its also about practice, learn from your mistakes and develop your "own" techniques & style. Be original/be creative. That should be the goal.

Also take this into consideration.. You downloaded a bunch of programs, watched a bunch of tutorials and some people you knew were impressed with what you did. How are you setting yourself apart from other people with the same access you have?

I've started the revision! What do you guys think of this version? i think the logo needs to be bigger.. but I'm waiting on your opinions before I go make anymore changes.. Thanks guys for all of the help! I'm definitely going to stick around on this forum for a long time!

Oh here's the link.. :: My link

Edited by silatix

Yeah, please just take all the crit and run with it. Get good at what you do, maybe get someone to design you a real good website or stick to one of the more professional looking gallery/template type sites. You're not selling web design, but it generally just needs to clean and easy to navigate to your reel, then to projects, and if anybody cares... your blog. Right now it makes me want to a) immediately close my browser a) buy some sunglasses incase I ever accidentally open it again.

That new design, in all honesty, and I don't want to keep kicking you in the balls.. is pretty awful & more offensive than before. The logo not being big enough is the least of your worries, in fact it could even be smaller but the colours and gradients look like a cheap tanning spa. And again I know you're not selling web design but to have those menu items as images is pointless, especially when they're just the default Illustrator font Myriad Pro. If you have to make your type out of images atleast make it some awesome experimental typography with the letters created from Chuck Norris and Jackie Chan's limbs. Sorry!

Matt

ps. is the lens flare at the bottom a joke? If it's done with irony I'd like it, but I'm going to guess it's just there to make your page all sunny

Sam, I found this 3 part article on color theory a good read/reference earlier this year. These are the things I'm thinking people are saying aren't going to be really focused on in your technical training.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/01/28/color-theory-for-designers-part-1-the-meaning-of-color/

Also remember, as you learn more about design and visual communication you'll be developing your own tastes/an eye for good design if you're doing it right. The words above about patience go a long way here. Do lots of research on your own time, and eventually you won't have to ask what everyone think of each revision of your work, because you won't settle for your own mistakes as much.