Sign in to follow this  
samwelkertv

My portfolio!

Your not a web designer or even a designer. Focus on 3d modeling / animation.

Ok I wasn't going to post in this thread but I'm waiting on a client call and I think this needs some balance in the other direction.

Of course everyone who has posted in this thread is right but... I think it's a bit silly to say just focus on this or that,to someone who is seventeen. Part of what you need to do at that age is to try lot's of stuff and learn, and discover where your passion and talent really lies. Agreed you cannot, be a webdesigner, tutorial maker, motion designer VFX artist, filmmaker, etc. you have to focus and put in the time to get anywhere with any one of these disciplines. And yes you need to take your time and not post a dozen revisions in the same mograph thread but...

I wouldn't say give up any of these (except the tutorials you need more experience before you can teach something) just because your first few attempts weren't great. If you enjoy doing something just do it day in and day out and you will get better at it.

I wasn't doing anything remotely constructive (more like destructive) with my time when I was seventeen. I started with all this stuff much later and the first things I made sucked real bad (a lot of the stuff I make still sucks:). If Sam has a passion for design or filmmaking or whatever and keeps working at it he'll develop his chops and will be miles ahead by the time he is ready to enter the workforce because he started so young.

I don't want to sound like an after school special, or pick on AromaKat's comment. Just sayin seventeen is a good time to try lots of different things and make lots of mistakes, I don't disagree with the points made by the previous posters but I wouldn't give up on anything you want to pursue just because your first few attempts didn't get a good response.

Ok I wasn't going to post in this thread but I'm waiting on a client call and I think this needs some balance in the other direction.

Of course everyone who has posted in this thread is right but... I think it's a bit silly to say just focus on this or that,to someone who is seventeen. Part of what you need to do at that age is to try lot's of stuff and learn, and discover where your passion and talent really lies. Agreed you cannot, be a webdesigner, tutorial maker, motion designer VFX artist, filmmaker, etc. you have to focus and put in the time to get anywhere with any one of these disciplines. And yes you need to take your time and not post a dozen revisions in the same mograph thread but...

I wouldn't say give up any of these (except the tutorials you need more experience before you can teach something) just because your first few attempts weren't great. If you enjoy doing something just do it day in and day out and you will get better at it.

I wasn't doing anything remotely constructive (more like destructive) with my time when I was seventeen. I started with all this stuff much later and the first things I made sucked real bad (a lot of the stuff I make still sucks:). If Sam has a passion for design or filmmaking or whatever and keeps working at it he'll develop his chops and will be miles ahead by the time he is ready to enter the workforce because he started so young.

I don't want to sound like an after school special, or pick on AromaKat's comment. Just sayin seventeen is a good time to try lots of different things and make lots of mistakes, I don't disagree with the points made by the previous posters but I wouldn't give up on anything you want to pursue just because your first few attempts didn't get a good response.

I agree. I too was in a completely different gear at that age, which was only 8 years ago. I don't mean to sound discouraging, and I am pretty sure nobody else on here does either. Sugarcoating everything won't help anyone. I hope that you (Sam) take all of this criticism well - and use it as fuel to "prove us wrong" in the long run.

You are starting out extremely young - and if you keep at it for a few years, you will eventually be running alongside pros at a younger-than-average age.

Still, I stand by my opinion that you need to tone down the self-publicity a bit. I really think 2-3 years down the road it will haunt you, for reasons you might yet not understand. But hell... with facebook, myspace and everything these days maybe I'm practicing old rules.

Sam, really - keep at it, but really ingest everything said on here. Good luck, and godspeed.

Edited by AromaKat

I'm not a motion designer.. I would like those jobs but My passion is film.. My site isn't supposed to be a portfolio right now.. Its my blog.. Its for those who choose to go look at it... thanks for the advice on it though! I'll take that and think about it! I have a webshow I've done for years.. That's half of it... I will keep up my work and see how it ends up.. but I'll be in film and My site is a personal thing.. Its not my professional contact site.. Just a thought.. Thanks for all the help!

Sam Welker

this kid is going to be the opposite, burn out on the self destructive nature of motion graphics and get hard core into graffiti and drinking and smoking weed at 23 when lots of us started doing stuff

i think nike got it right with just do it. good on so many levels of branding and life advice

i think nike got it right with just do it. good on so many levels of branding and life advice

So true.

I just saw Art and Copy, and found out the inspiration for that slogan:

Mr. Gilmore, the notorious spree-killer, uttered the words “Let’s do it” just before a firing squad executed him in Utah in 1977. Years later, the phrase became the inspiration for Nike’s “Just Do It” campaign.

Somehow knowing this makes it even more awesome.

this kid is going to be the opposite, burn out on the self destructive nature of motion graphics and get hard core into graffiti and drinking and smoking weed at 23 when lots of us started doing stuff

lol

"My story

I am Sam. I like Visual FX. I want to work with Pixar or ImageWorks. I go to Full Sail University. That's it. Bye :)"

I dont think this is gonna help you buddy; neither your fiver account:"I will make a 3D/CGI (pixar like) video for you for $5"

God Speed !

Yah, I spelled enginear that way on purpose.. and I am going to be successful buddy.. not drinking and smoking weed. I have 0 intention of ever smoking or drinking... Just so you know.. I've gotten all of this criticism to use now.. I'll probably accept more.. but I think the point has been made.. Thanks.

Sam Welker

Oh and the fiverr thing is half hobby half practice.. its not for the money, however the money doesn't hurt..

Nope.. I'm a good mormon.. I'm going to leave it at that.. Do you guys know where I can get a good cheap site running?

Don't really understand your question.... If you are looking for hosting, Dreamhost all the way.

Edited by AromaKat

it's getting close to Scrill status

I don't think Mr.Welker is even close to the skrillah. Sam is taking this like a champ, skrillz started losing it two pages in,

I would like to see him make it to page 5 myself

Five pages is easy! Haha.. Oh and to get a real understanding of my true work when I actually try look at this! http://vimeo.com/11934121 I took about an hour on this.. Now I want to make an animation that is 30 seconds long and work on it for a day or two.. Just make something really cool :) What do you guys think of this video? And what do you mean by troll?

Five pages is easy! Haha.. Oh and to get a real understanding of my true work when I actually try look at this! http://vimeo.com/11934121 I took about an hour on this.. Now I want to make an animation that is 30 seconds long and work on it for a day or two.. Just make something really cool :) What do you guys think of this video? And what do you mean by troll?

yes, you're getting better, Sam. No you're not that good though. Sorry. fwiw I probably will never really think I am either.

Try working for more than an hour on a 5 second piece, don't settle until you've hit your deadline, and then make it better all through that time.

studios of 5-20 people spend weeks on 30 seconds.

Create to create, not for anyone's approval.

You haven't listened to any of us have you? This video proves you don't have any interest in improving your skills. You're just biting off other peoples tutorials.. Ok, you made a slick looking render in c4d. So what? If you can do it.. Anyone can do it! Why? Because you don't know what you're doing. Why are you trying to get gigs for small amounts of money? Why not just enjoy the ride of trying to become better at this craft. You have a lot to learn but you're trying to skip the fun part. The fun part is not having to worry about client dead lines and just making you're own awesome art/work..

I agree with silatix. Your impression with that video really illustrates exactly how low the bar is on what you consider to be 'wow' material. Take your time, learn, and really absorb yourself in the industry publishings as much as you can so you can develop an understanding of how it works, etc. You can't expect just jump to Pixar after school. The people you hear of doing that went INTO schooling with bad-ass skills... One of those freak kids I envy that spent their childhood fiddling with the stuff / grew up into a family that works in the field.

Don't take side gigs right now. You crazy? On FS's schedule? Not to mention that having a Fiverr account is just... smelly... Rubs off the wrong way to working professionals. Treat each month / 2 month block like its a new hiring for a gig, and spend all your time on that without straying. I know some things may interest you more than others, but the whole reason you go to schooling is to get an all-encompassing introduction to all aspects of the industry. You need this to be as understood as possible for when you graduate and need to choose which path you are going to take.