Sign in to follow this  
samwelkertv

My portfolio!

I agree with silatix. Your impression with that video really illustrates exactly how low the bar is on what you consider to be 'wow' material. Take your time, learn, and really absorb yourself in the industry publishings as much as you can so you can develop an understanding of how it works, etc. You can't expect just jump to Pixar after school. The people you hear of doing that went INTO schooling with bad-ass skills... One of those freak kids I envy that spent their childhood fiddling with the stuff / grew up into a family that works in the field.

Don't take side gigs right now. You crazy? On FS's schedule? Not to mention that having a Fiverr account is just... smelly... Rubs off the wrong way to working professionals. Treat each month / 2 month block like its a new hiring for a gig, and spend all your time on that without straying. I know some things may interest you more than others, but the whole reason you go to schooling is to get an all-encompassing introduction to all aspects of the industry. You need this to be as understood as possible for when you graduate and need to choose which path you are going to take.

Well incase you didn't understand I meant wow material compared to my other work.. and I'm aware that this isn't great. oh and buddy this is fully original. I didn't look up a tut on this. I made it all on my own. Color and animation, color correction.. etc.. I Won't jump into pixar.. but I'll end up in a great studio whether you believe me or not.. I know I'm not great yet.. I really suck right now.. but I'll be getting better soon and I'll end up great.. I'll never be perfect.. I'll work hard and learn more every day!

Also I get practice through Fiverr.. My full sail online schedule is very empty believe it or not.. I don't have much work right now.. I don't do college on campus right now.. I'm working hard on my school work and on these gigs cause I get paid for it.. I have $55 on the way already.. I'm 17.. that's a lot in this economy for a teen ager.. that is why I have a fiverr account..

Edited by samwelkertv

Dude, your going to look back at this and cringe in a few years. I understand your just starting out and have no real experience in a professional enviroment, but fyi keep matters of your income to yourself. They arn't for public forums.

Dude, your going to look back at this and cringe in a few years. I understand your just starting out and have no real experience in a professional enviroment, but fyi keep matters of your income to yourself. They arn't for public forums.

I am well aware about the fact that I'll be looking back in a few years and see that this is absolute junk compared to what I'll be doing then..

Your coming off as arrogant, studios aren't going to look at your age btw, there going to look at your skill, and you have to face it, there are plenty of young talent out there now. It sure is great that your start out early no doubt about that. I've gotten a good place in the industry for starting out a bit early. But its truly about your work, dont flaunt it if your expecting people to agree with your opinion because your young..

And I'm sure your animation there is an "original" piece of work, something you didn't follow a tutorial too. But everything in that animation reads very amateurish and one trick. (which tutorials normally do, they show you a technique to incorporate in your work, not revolve around the technique. in this animation its just about the deformers you added) wheres the concept? wheres the polishing? I don't care if you only took less than an hour, in fact even more so if this is your personal work for yourself.

you put a cube fillet the edges, duplicated added a simple texture, made it look glossy and put some standard deformers on it and key framed a bit. added an unattractive light, and had an animation. You can go way further, i understand where everyone is coming from, since it is starting to seem like your looking for our approval, posting constant "updates" or videos which don't offer much for us to critique and help you BUILD upon but rather just lets us tell you to stop focusing on the thread and focus on your work.

We tell you, you have a bit to go, don't let it get you down and have yourself defend with, "i'm young." its arrogant the way you come off and come back.

From the way its starting to look (my guess) to some other posters in this thread is that your pretty much ignoring our advice to focus on your work. And its probably a bit more insulting that half way through the thread you say your passion is film, but you still come back at us with motion graphic pieces. (I understand you can do both, Im a film student myself, but when you mentioned your passion is film you made it seem like your not really all that interested in motion but rather as a pick up thing.)

I agree with silatix. Your impression with that video really illustrates exactly how low the bar is on what you consider to be 'wow' material. Take your time, learn, and really absorb yourself in the industry publishings as much as you can so you can develop an understanding of how it works, etc. You can't expect just jump to Pixar after school. The people you hear of doing that went INTO schooling with bad-ass skills... One of those freak kids I envy that spent their childhood fiddling with the stuff / grew up into a family that works in the field.

Don't take side gigs right now. You crazy? On FS's schedule? Not to mention that having a Fiverr account is just... smelly... Rubs off the wrong way to working professionals. Treat each month / 2 month block like its a new hiring for a gig, and spend all your time on that without straying. I know some things may interest you more than others, but the whole reason you go to schooling is to get an all-encompassing introduction to all aspects of the industry. You need this to be as understood as possible for when you graduate and need to choose which path you are going to take.

I just reread the second paragraph and i figured out I misunderstood.. Your right.. I'm going to disable my gigs right now and finish what i have.. then focus on school for a few years.. then maybe get back as a side hobby.. unless that's my actual job.. thanks for the help!

I thought I mentioned that. Yes I am doing the Full Sail online program.. I do have time for fiverr which gets me experience.. If you are truly serious about not doing it for my sake then I'll take it down for a while.

make us care and minimize the reasons to hate... thats what you should do in every piece, and with your time on mograph, unless you want to be an anonymous jackass like some of us just shooting the shit. but what youre doing is the opposite, you are 'animating' scorn and laughs in people you dont know, and thats not usually the goal

seriously good luck, but just have an even hand, be quietly ambitious and dont take over this forum with crappy posts and you'll be fine.

make us care and minimize the reasons to hate... thats what you should do in every piece, and with your time on mograph, unless you want to be an anonymous jackass like some of us just shooting the shit. but what youre doing is the opposite, you are 'animating' scorn and laughs in people you dont know, and thats not usually the goal

seriously good luck, but just have an even hand, be quietly ambitious and dont take over this forum with crappy posts and you'll be fine.

I'm not sure I understood that but are you suggesting that I am sugar coating their insults? if that's the case I am definitely not attempting too.. I'm tired of people being jerks to kids cause 'they're better than us' because they have more experience.. That doesn't mean I can't create something cool. Half of the posts under this topic were pretty lame and I'm not really excited about their opinions... Honestly that doesn't bother me.. and I'm not really doing the whole forum thing right now.. I just wanted opinions on my site..

Before this spirals out of control, read this thread on CGtalk:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=880504&page=1&pp=15

(courtesy of Dan_Hin last week - if you've not read this grab a coffee and settle down for 8 pages of a very surreal thread)

and remember, once again, that all everyone here is trying to do is to help you in the long run. Keep rockin the software, the concept stuff, all that and see you round here if you weren't scared off for good (I doubt you ever would be for some reason ha).

Cheers Matt

Wow that CGtalk thread reminds me of the scrilla!! That was horrifying and entertaining. Scratch that. That boy got scrill syndrome.

For the folks that don't know the "SCRILL" = http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=4871&hl=scrill&st=20

Memories!

Word to the wise. Don't catch the scrills. It's worst than any ego itch you can get. Rub some humble on it and call your doc in the morning.

What ever happened to that legendary thread with Artistitouch? Sweet memories.

"I'm tired of people being jerks to kids cause 'they're better than us' because they have more experience." -- Then it's time for a nap, I suppose.

I'm tired of people being jerks to kids cause 'they're better than us' because they have more experience..

I don't think because you are a "kid" anyone is being more of jerk. Shit, everyone has been really nice. You should of seen the forum years ago.

I got off pretty easy when I first posted my stuff and I'm much stronger now that I took the advice of the people more experienced then myself. http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3257

"Bio- I am Sam. I'm a student at Full Sail Online. I will be the next student in the hall of fame! I will never be forgotten by this industry! Computer animation!!"

REV

Bio- I am Sam. I love design and animation. I spend every waking minute learning and trying to better myself.

If you want to be good at something, you have to work your fucking ass off.

Leave the aspirations of fame to all the assholes on reality tv.

Thats my critique of your website.

Edited by palmer

I`m sure you have a passion for it, and I hope this is gonna make you thrive even more.

The props are nice: http://www.vimeo.com/11794999, and probably a hard pill to swallow, but, I`m sure you`ll do just fine in a couple of years.

Keep in mind, that is not about tricks and tutorials(sometimes they help). On most jobs, it`s about concept, fresh ideas and your own vision.

Cheers ;)

wrote a bunch but it was too harsh

lets just say this is the opposite of a few years ago when 18 y/o tyson ibele was dropping bombs

its amazing how many mograph regulars arent touching this one, even if this kid needs to hear just how far way he still is from his current life path of choice. (we dont need any more c4d tutes with basic primitives, thanks)