Sign in to follow this  
spennyhatch

Animating Camera Along Spline in C4D?

Hello, i tried to do a search for this, but didnt find what i need. Is there a easy way to animate a camera alone a spline/path? I just want to draw a somewhat complex bezier curve/spline and animate the camera along that spline. I also want to try to parent it to a null so that i can controll 360 degree spins and stuff as well. Im sure this may be easy to do, but never done it and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Spenser

It is a pretty easy thing to achieve. First, draw your spline. Then right-click your camera in the object menu, then go to Cinema4D tags, and add an "Align to Spline" tag to your camera. Then merely drag your camera spline into the object field in the attribute manager, and you're good as gold. You can then keyframe the camera's position along the spline! Also, it's handy to note you can add an Align to Spline tag to any object. So, if you wanted your camera nested in a null, just apply that tag to your null object and you can have the entire Null Object/Camera travel along the spline.

Edited by bezoing

It is a pretty easy thing to achieve. First, draw your spline. Then right-click your camera in the object menu, then go to Cinema4D tags, and add an "Align to Spline" tag to your camera. Then merely drag your camera spline into the object field in the attribute manager, and you're good as gold. You can then keyframe the camera's position along the spline! Also, it's handy to note you can add an Align to Spline tag to any object. So, if you wanted your camera nested in a null, just apply that tag to your null object and you can have the entire Null Object/Camera travel along the spline.

Beautimus!!!

Thanks man for the quick and concise response. Im new around here, but digging the site, and allready learning a lot!

Oh.. quick question.... Do you think this is a good way to animate a camera for more complex move that involve twists and turns? Obviously a little new to C4D and trying to learn as much as possible, but any other ideas for a more complex camera move would be big help! Thanks Again!

Edited by spennyhatch

I'd suggest using a target null and an up vector. that gives you more precise control than just key rotation, mainly because it avoids all the gimbal lock problems.

I'd suggest using a target null and an up vector. that gives you more precise control than just key rotation, mainly because it avoids all the gimbal lock problems.

Thanks, but I am pretty new to C4D, so can you clarify what you mean by an up vector?

target is when you pick an axis of an object that points the object in a certain direction. rotating on all 3 axis.

up vector is similar but the object can only rotate on one axis to best aim at that point.

In the case of the camera the up vector would control the roll of the camera while it's being pointed by the target tag.

target is when you pick an axis of an object that points the object in a certain direction. rotating on all 3 axis.

up vector is similar but the object can only rotate on one axis to best aim at that point.

In the case of the camera the up vector would control the roll of the camera while it's being pointed by the target tag.

Good Stuff, thanks! I think i understand what you mean, but need to play around with it. I did bezoing said and animated a null with a cam as a child, on my spline and, wow! It worked like a charm! Now just need to keyframe the null rotaion etc and im good to go. Thanks for the info guys! Ive messed around with like 3dsmax and other packages, but it seems so much easier and intuitive in C4D.