Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

Agents / job placement companies

Are there any agencies that specialize in motion design/vfx production the way Aquent does with print and web? They seem to be the biggest creative placement agency out there; unfortunately they do not deal with VFX /motion / broadcast production. Preferable in the NY area. Thanks for any info!

Are there any agencies that specialize in motion design/vfx production the way Aquent does with print and web? They seem to be the biggest creative placement agency out there; unfortunately they do not deal with VFX /motion / broadcast production. Preferable in the NY area. Thanks for any info!

creativegroup.com

creativecircle.com

Edited by Trione

Meh.... I signed up with creative circle a while back and the few times they send an opening, they are extremely low paying ($20 / hour in LA.... ouch) for animation work. The couple times I submitted interest in a particular gig, heard nothing.

However, I am still moving forward with signing up with Aquent as well. Can't hurt

oh yeah forgot bout those... have u gotten work from them? Freelance or Staff FT?

They set up a couple of interviews for me, but I didn't get any work through them.

I did a few gigs through creative circle here in NYC.

The send out email blasts targeted to what skills you have and what programs you know.

The pay is low, which I suspect is due to a large cut that they take before you get paid.

CC bills the client and then pays you directly.

I don't know what the percentage of the cut is, but I suspect it to be somewhat high.

I often see ads that require FCP/AE skills but only pay $20-$25 hr.

I have also seen and gotten $40/hr jobs (I try not to think of what CC was actually getting paid).

They do also post a number of FT jobs as well.

I think they are worth checking out if you are slow or looking for FT.

creative circle takes over half of what they charge. don't ever ever ever use them.. or any other agency that offers such a low rate for this line of work.

I definetly do not need them for freelance. I would never except such a low rate. On the other hand if they can get me interviews for FT /staff work I def would give them a try...

I definetly do not need them for freelance. I would never except such a low rate. On the other hand if they can get me interviews for FT /staff work I def would give them a try...

Yeah but they take the same cut for your salary so if the posting for a salary gig is 65k, it sucks to know that if you had gotten it on your own it would have been much higher. I didn't have much luck with them, and the freelance rates were to low in my opinion.

I think Creative Circle charges more than double. The FT offers would be a better deal though, because they just get a single headhunting fee of around 10-20k for a 60-80k / year position.

I just think its bad practice to advertise all of these 45/hr jobs to reel you in, which don't actually exist. Then they ask you for all your current freelance clients when you get there, acting like its forced - then they email them offering their services. Never put down real clients.

I would never except such a low rate. On the other hand if they can get me interviews for FT /staff work I def would give them a try...

Definitely not trying to be a smart-ass here, but if you won't get out of bed for $X as a freelancer, why would you accept much, much less as a full timer? Are the benefits of being a full timer that great to take such a beating on the wallet?

my buddy just pulled an under the table deal... he got an interview for a company through a head hunter and then the company contacted him straight not through the agency... basically they offered him the gig and expressed that they did not want to pay the headhunter fee... my buddy was smart enough to also ask for more than what the job was being offered at... i think he got an extra 10K...so right there shows you these places pay fees up to and around 20k if he still got an extra 10 added onto the offer...

Guest Sao_Bento

Definitely not trying to be a smart-ass here, but if you won't get out of bed for $X as a freelancer, why would you accept much, much less as a full timer? Are the benefits of being a full timer that great to take such a beating on the wallet?

Don't underestimate the value of good benefits - particularly if you are the "breadwinner" in your family.

Don't underestimate the value of good benefits - particularly if you are the "breadwinner" in your family.

Just make sure you know exactly how much $ those benefits translate to. Shop for the same insurance plan under a small group, and make sure the employer doesn't pay you 20k less for what would have only had to cost 8k out of pocket for if it were purchased independently.

i wont except a low rate if the job isn't exciting and I feel that it wont improve my reel... I rather work on my own personal stuff than getting paid peanuts for a bad gig... and i think we all can agree that the clients who pay the least end up being the hardest to deal with and make happy... the ones who pay our full rates are usually the easiest to work for...right now I have a baby boy and I do a lot of work from home freelancing... and take care of my baby as well... my wife works FT in sales and at the time she can bring in more than me plus we have her benefits which i didn't care of having before but obviously you need them for children... call me old fashioned but I rather her stay at home with the baby and i work FT... even though i can do my job at home (being freelance) I feel that if I land a senior design position FT in NY it would be more than enough that she can stay at home and raise our kid... at this point in my life I need the security of FT.. i am not a bachelor anymore and can't live the freelance life where I can be working for a few months and off for a few more... a lot of things change when there's more than just yourself you gotta worry about...

I'm not sure i understand what you are saying?... i re-read your post after i posted my response... are you asking why would i accept less on a FT gig and why I wouldn't accept less on a freelance job?

Edited by FlipSwitch

such a tangent though, creative circle takes a huge cut. and there's no excuse to not be able to find the work yourself. you're looking in new york of all places! number two in the country for motion graphics! why would you need some two bit recruiter to hustle you out of your hard earned cash?

creative circle takes over half of what they charge. don't ever ever ever use them.. or any other agency that offers such a low rate for this line of work.

Ugh... really? over 50%???

Sickening.

Where is the barfing emoticon??

such a tangent though, creative circle takes a huge cut. and there's no excuse to not be able to find the work yourself. you're looking in new york of all places! number two in the country for motion graphics! why would you need some two bit recruiter to hustle you out of your hard earned cash?

duuuuhhh duh duh duuuuh duh dhuuuuu!

Edited by FlipSwitch