Sign in to follow this  
joedonaldson

Chicago

Hello all,

I want to touch base with any Chicago based designers out there.

In August my wife and I will be moving to Chicago so I can finish my undergraduate at SAIC and for her to start her career.

I would love to find out how you all like the city and how the current state of mograph is in Chicago.

Possibly even meet up when we make the final move from Florida.

My email is josephpdonaldson@gmail.com

or you can IM me at vxroz. I am usually on.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

-Joe

It's not NY or LA, work-wise, but I like the city better. It's a smaller motion design community than those other markets, which can be nice. I suppose it may be the same everywhere, but I like the variety of people you meet in the Chicago design community.

Thanks for all the replies!

I follow Nick's blog as well ( as I'm sure many of us do B)) and I have been very impressed with the designers I have seen from Chicago. I have a long way to go but I am definitely looking forward to being a part of the scene there.

It's not NY or LA, work-wise, but I like the city better. It's a smaller motion design community than those other markets, which can be nice. I suppose it may be the same everywhere, but I like the variety of people you meet in the Chicago design community.

As of right now, I'm not too worried about it. I have about two and a half years until I finish my degree so I'm not 100% in work mode just yet.

Not to mention anything is an upgrade from Gainesville FL.

My wife and I are very excited about it! We were both born and raised in Florida and the only time we have seen snow was on our visit to tour the school.

This will be an interesting adjustment to say the least.

I live in Chicago, and am kind of new to the motion graphics scene as well. Its cool that your wife is going to SAIC, I graduated from the undergrad program there in 98. Welcome to Chicago!

Thanks ahschmidt.

I will actually be the one going to SAIC and am really looking forward to it. Over the last few years I have looked into just about every school you can think of and I have really clicked with SAIC.

I can't wait to start classes in September.

Do you use aim/ichat ?

Welcome to the city Joseph!

SAIC has some great teachers. One of my favorites just headed over there. There are also some great groups including Chicago C4D and an up and coming Motion Designers group headed by my buddy Brad @beerad.

Twitter seems to be the place where many of these things get organized now a days.

My name is @nickvegas and I usually try to announce local motion events and stuff.

Have fun with the move and I hope to see you around!

Cheers,

nick

SAIC has some great teachers. One of my favorites just headed over there. There are also some great groups including Chicago C4D and an up and coming Motion Designers group headed by my buddy Brad @beerad.

Twitter seems to be the place where many of these things get organized now a days.

My name is @nickvegas and I usually try to announce local motion events and stuff.

Cheers,

nick

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad you mentioned the Chicago meet up groups. I am really looking forward to being a part of them and contributing in anyway possible.

Hope to see you around.

Chicago is a great move in my opinion.

And it seems that the motion community is growing faster than ever.

This is partially due to helpful folks(Nick and Brad included) that have built a network that is newcomer friendly.

Good luck with the move, and give us a ring when you're in town.

Edited by KGB

This is partially due to helpful folks(Nick and Brad included) that have built a network that is newcomer friendly.

I have been blown away by how nice and welcoming everyone I have met in Chicago has been.

The move itself is scary because my wife and I will be leaving all our family behind and everything we know but we are both very optimistic about the move.

We visited during the winter and absolutely fell in love with the city and knew it was something we wanted to do.

I look forward to meeting you all and making some cool shit!

Well, i was avoiding twitter, but I may have to check it out to keep up with this stuff.

Cheers,

nick

I have been blown away by how nice and welcoming everyone I have met in Chicago has been.

The move itself is scary because my wife and I will be leaving all our family behind and everything we know but we are both very optimistic about the move.

We visited during the winter and absolutely fell in love with the city and knew it was something we wanted to do.

I look forward to meeting you all and making some cool shit!

Joseph,

My future wife and I are looking to make a move to Chicago next summer so I hope everything works well for you, you'll be our little guinea pig in a way! :)

Good luck!

Joseph,

My future wife and I are looking to make a move to Chicago next summer so I hope everything works well for you, you'll be our little guinea pig in a way! :)

Good luck!

Haha sounds good. If you have any questions along the way feel free to hit me up.

Glad to hear the Chicago scene is ever growing!