Sign in to follow this  
oeuf

10 hour workday

In all my years working, i've never questioned the 10 hour freelance workday. Lately though, some companies have been enforcing this rule, or offhandedly reminding me that they require 10 hours. I've always been a proponent of, if I get done the task given to me early, I should be allowed to go. However, companies seemingly want me to just sit there or perhaps jump onto another job that I was not brought in to work on.

I'm not getting any younger and now the time spent at the office is impeding on my time spent with my family. How do you guys feel? And is working 10 hours illegal?

In all my years working, i've never questioned the 10 hour freelance workday. Lately though, some companies have been enforcing this rule, or offhandedly reminding me that they require 10 hours. I've always been a proponent of, if I get done the task given to me early, I should be allowed to go. However, companies seemingly want me to just sit there or perhaps jump onto another job that I was not brought in to work on.

I'm not getting any younger and now the time spent at the office is impeding on my time spent with my family. How do you guys feel? And is working 10 hours illegal?

There have been numerous threads here about this topic and other labor abuses in our industry, as well as articles on Motionographer. Here is a site started by some people in our industry that you may find useful: http://www.motiondesignpractices.org/

It's bollocks! The employers that expect a 10 hour day are the same ones who have no problem asking you to stay 12 hrs for no extra compensation when it suits their needs. But would never tell you to take off a bit early because a job is done. It seems that a lot of employers care more about having a butt in a chair than about the work being produced. That and big piles of cocaine.

Edited by NastyJames

I guess that's the issue you'll have to deal with freelancing in someone-else's shop. i know if I'm going to pay someone else for ten hours of work, I'm going to have them work ten hours. If you get a given task done early the onus is on them to (if they want to be profitable) to find something else that you can work on. This is because there is risk on the other end. You could make choices in the execution of your task which cause you to take much longer than you should. I doubt you'd be offering to bill for only five hours because you didn't feel you delivered up to your potential. (although I did have that happen once... I paid the guy his full rate because he's a great worker and he deserved it).

This is why I prefer to work out of my own shop and base things more on a project basis. -although, under this scenario I seldom see anything less than a 12 hour day. -and yes, I often miss my family, but there are people who have it worse.

Linchpin by Seth Godin. Is a great book about working in the new Revolution. For the past century we have be scammed into working at factories. Either behind a drill presses or behind a computer. Companies want to break down task so they can be done by less skilled labors. It's called a VFX pipeline for a reason. It might as well be called an assembly line. Companies that don;t realize the human factor in there products are doomed to scale down. There is an interesting quote in the book "that only in the last 200 hundred years have human been sent of to work in factories." before that humans stayed in their village working with their families doing the same trade their families did. Generation after generation.

There use to be a time when the day ended and you would go home. If you wanted to work on a project to the next level you would stay and do it. But due to technology and increased competition you can't just show up and collect a pay check.

I am doing a horrible job on this thread. Go buy Linchpin for $20.

Guest Sao_Bento

REWORK is another useful re-thinking of business practices from the viewpoint of someone running a business. Because it's about very small businesses (and often graphic designers specifically), much of it is relevant to our fields. I can't say I agree 100% with everything they say, but I did find it to include some really solid idea based on the changes brought on by technology. It was somewhat motivating to say the least.

http://www.amazon.com/Rework-Jason-Fried/dp/0307463745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276281500&sr=8-1

Linchpin by Seth Godin. Is a great book about working in the new Revolution. For the past century we have be scammed into working at factories. Either behind a drill presses or behind a computer. Companies want to break down task so they can be done by less skilled labors. It's called a VFX pipeline for a reason. It might as well be called an assembly line. Companies that don;t realize the human factor in there products are doomed to scale down. There is an interesting quote in the book "that only in the last 200 hundred years have human been sent of to work in factories." before that humans stayed in their village working with their families doing the same trade their families did. Generation after generation.

There use to be a time when the day ended and you would go home. If you wanted to work on a project to the next level you would stay and do it. But due to technology and increased competition you can't just show up and collect a pay check.

My guess is that it started back when everybody was doing piles of cocaine at work in the late 70s->80s.

-m

So true, hahaha

And they all ended up like this.....

If they want to define a day as 10 hours and you want to work 8, then put your rate up by 25% and if they question it, offhandedly remind them that you're happy to be paid hourly. Either you'll make more money, get what you want or lose a client whose practices you no longer find acceptable.

Edit: I thought Linchpin was pretty dreadful. Shockingly badly structured and a good portion of it lifted from 'The War of Art'.

Edited by kitkats

Does the employer really win if they get you to do really long days just to feel like they are getting their monies worth. It's one thing if you are up against deadlines, ok then everyone has to do what it takes but otherwise they are just burning people out for no reason.

It doesn't even make sense for the employer really, are they getting your best work after weeks of really long days. Doesn't matter how bad ass you are at a certain point everyone starts to slow down and make mistakes. I really think people would be just as productive with shorter better organized days. Personally I want to keep some gas in the tank so I can be sharp for when the real crunch hits.

Seems to me there has to be some better way to organize rates and general practices so that everyone wins...maybe I am just hopelessly naive.

Seriously, That book is the new bible for creatives and creators. I have read it 4 times now. If you want a taste of the book before buying it, check out this audio file of Seth's "Linchpin Sessions". http://makecoolshit.com/linchpin-sessions-a-great-introduction-to-seth-godin/