Sign in to follow this  
Jacques // An1ken

New Mac or PC?

Hey Everyone,

How you all doing?

Its time for me to buy yet another computer for the Agency and I'm not sure what I would like to get.

We are currently PC users, but the rendering time on our latest PC that we bought the beginning of this year ain't that quick.

I am looking to buy a beast this time.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm looking for something that handles Animation and 3D rendering well.

I don't mind paying for quality!

Do you guys suggest Mac Pro or a iMac or should I stick to PC and get a $5000 machine?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm new here, don't know why I haven't joined earlier. I've been using Mograph as a Resource for quite some time.

Cheers

Jacques

buy $5000 worth of 6 core amd's and make a render farm. they should cost you around 500-600 each.

but get someone who knows hardware, since you don't seem to be too knowledgable ( comparing imacs and mac pro's)

buy $5000 worth of 6 core amd's and make a render farm. they should cost you around 500-600 each.

but get someone who knows hardware, since you don't seem to be too knowledgable ( comparing imacs and mac pro's)

Haha, I haven't really been a MAC fan boy, so the difference in power delivery still remains unknown to me.

I will be sticking to a PC. I have thought about putting together a Render Farm, as we do have quite a few still standing pc's this side which just needs upgrades in forms of CPU's and RAM.

You are correct when you say not too knowledgeable regarding MAC's. Only thing I love about Apple is my iPhone 3GS.

I will post out the system on here tomorrow which I will be getting.

Laters

Go PC. Build it yourself. Save a ton of dough now, and in the future when you need to upgrade something. You can't salvage mac shit. Drop about $2000 - $2500 now, and it will cost you only ~$1000 / year thereafter to constantly have a top-notch, 'latest and greatest' machine.

For the hardware noob, as I suggest every time this comes up, Tom's Hardware is an excellent resource. If you need help or have questions, just shoot me a message.

Building a PC is actually stupid easy, as long as you make sure you order parts that go together.

Buy your parts on NewEgg or Tiger Direct, save a public shopping cart / wish list, and post the links to it here so we can check it out before you order.

Edited by AromaKat

Go PC. Build it yourself. Save a ton of dough now, and in the future when you need to upgrade something. You can't salvage mac shit. Drop about $2000 - $2500 now, and it will cost you only ~$1000 / year thereafter to constantly have a top-notch, 'latest and greatest' machine.

For the hardware noob, as I suggest every time this comes up, Tom's Hardware is an excellent resource. If you need help or have questions, just shoot me a message.

Building a PC is actually stupid easy, as long as you make sure you order parts that go together.

Buy your parts on NewEgg or Tiger Direct, save a public shopping cart / wish list, and post the links to it here so we can check it out before you order.

Thanks for the links.

I have been building my PC's Custom since I started, you are right it does save a lot of money.

I will post up links to a saved shopping cart to show you what I will be buying. I have used Tom's Hardware in the Past for research on hardware.

Thanks for the advice ;)

ok sweet. i'm not a mac fan either, but i know that a mac pro is an eightcore machine, while the iMac is consumer level and if you're lucky has an i7. and it's all built into the screen for imacs.

That's what threw me off. If you've been building your own pc's then you clearly know enough about them to save money and not buy a mac, unless you have someone in your office who insists on using a mac ofcourse.

so yeah, the 6 core AMD's a great power for money. Especially if you have a couple of them with onboard video and all.

I agree with the PC route. I have built my past 3 machines and have saved a ton of money and have had 0 problems. But again, you just need to make sure everything is compatible with each other. I have nothing against macs at all, but if i can save half my money for the same, if not faster hardware, im gonna do it!

Just my two cents...

Jim

I work on both, and like most designers, will only buy a Mac in my personal studio.

There are several reasons for this.

1. pcs STILL cannot handle deep, complex AE files. I have work simpler at work or risk

ending up with a project that won't render, or major glitching.

On the positive side, I get more overtime because of the above problems.

2. Still have 5 times more time consuming technical problems with pcs.

2. Tech support for Macs is free and usually excellent.

In short, I cannot afford a pc, no matter how cheap it may be initially. Hours and days

and weeks are eaten up in caring for their delicate woes.

Most designers, will only buy a Mac for their personal studio.

1. pcs STILL cannot handle deep, complex AE files. I have work simpler at work or risk

In short, I cannot afford a pc, no matter how cheap it may be initially. Hours and days

I work on both, and like most designers, will only buy a Mac in my personal studio.

Pretty ridiculous post. Like any other tool, if you don't know how to use it properly of course it won't work properly for you. I split my time 50/50 between Macs and PCs and have an equal amount of problems on both. I've seen the beach ball of death just as many times as I've seen the blue screen of death. The Mac has crashed under heavy loads just as many times as the PC. Unwavering loyalty to either brand is stupid, they're pretty much the exact same thing. People who notice any significant difference in the performance of one over the other are people who simply have put more time into learning how to use one tool over the other.

To the OP: Buy what you're comfortable with, and be open minded when it comes to switching later on.

Pretty ridiculous post. Like any other tool, if you don't know how to use it properly of course it won't work properly for you. I split my time 50/50 between Macs and PCs and have an equal amount of problems on both. I've seen the beach ball of death just as many times as I've seen the blue screen of death. The Mac has crashed under heavy loads just as many times as the PC. Unwavering loyalty to either brand is stupid, they're pretty much the exact same thing. People who notice any significant difference in the performance of one over the other are people who simply have put more time into learning how to use one tool over the other.

To the OP: Buy what you're comfortable with, and be open minded when it comes to switching later on.

It's, unfortunately, not a ridiculous post. If you're a designer who also likes to tinker constantly on their machine, than a high end PC may work out fine with you. But tomcat is right, the extra time wasted troubleshooting costs you something, and as a designer I'm not a hardware-wiz and so it ends up costing me a lot.

Mac fanboys are usually fanboys for a reason, we like the way Apple products work, feel and look, for us the price is worth it, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. Like I said, if you enjoy, or at least don't mind, constantly tweaking and fixing your machine, a PC is a whole lot cheaper. I find you end up getting what you pay for.

It's, unfortunately, not a ridiculous post. If you're a designer who also likes to tinker constantly on their machine, than a high end PC may work out fine with you. But tomcat is right, the extra time wasted troubleshooting costs you something, and as a designer I'm not a hardware-wiz and so it ends up costing me a lot.

(I really hate that I always feel the need to participate in these garbage threads :lol: )

More ridiculousness. The idea that PC owners need to "tinker constantly on their machine" is pretty laughable. I tinkered for about 2 minutes when I first fired my PC up to get things working the way I like them. I did the same when I fired up my Mac. Neither has required any extra effort or tinkering for years because I knew how to use the tools properly from the get-go. Besides, about 99% of my time is spent using C4D or an Adobe product, which is the same across any OS.

Mac fanboys are usually fanboys for a reason, we like the way Apple products work, feel and look, for us the price is worth it, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. Like I said, if you enjoy, or at least don't mind, constantly tweaking and fixing your machine, a PC is a whole lot cheaper. I find you end up getting what you pay for.

Well the Apple marketing is obviously working. Nothing wrong with using what you like, but neither has any significant advantage over the other, they're almost exactly the same anyway. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people saying which they prefer, I just think people who see, and are vocal (and kind of dickish) about a supposed major difference between the two are usually people who identify with the brand over the product (or worse yet, actually believe advertising). The ads have young hip people using the product, and they want to be young and hip by association. Both machines do the same thing. It's like Coke vs. Pepsi - everyone buys whichever one they personally prefer (as they should), but the people who are actually vocal about which they prefer are huge douches.

(also seriously? You really don't think Tomcats first two points are ridiculous? really?)

Edited by beau+++

I totally agree with Biggie Boy. I have been using mac/pc 50/50 for 10 years now. They both suck. I always love the shoot people down that start talking about all the latest catch words for their mac that the sales people are spewing. More user friendly? That's hilarious considering my boss has been solely using macs for the last 15 years and he can't navigate OSX to save his life. Yet he always talks about how macs are so much better, and admits he can't even turn a pc on. If you've never used a pc, how do you know it's better? Cause a 15 year old genius in the apple store told you so? Also I want to kick in the balls whoever claimed that macs don't crash near as often as pc's. My mac crashes just as much as my pc.

On the other hand I also like rip apart PC people that have total mac hate, not for what it does or doesn't do, just because it has an apple logo on it.

I totally agree with Biggie Boy. I have been using mac/pc 50/50 for 10 years now. They both suck. I always love the shoot people down that start talking about all the latest catch words for their mac that the sales people are spewing. More user friendly? That's hilarious considering my boss has been solely using macs for the last 15 years and he can't navigate OSX to save his life. Yet he always talks about how macs are so much better, and admits he can't even turn a pc on. If you've never used a pc, how do you know it's better? Cause a 15 year old genius in the apple store told you so? Also I want to kick in the balls whoever claimed that macs don't crash near as often as pc's. My mac crashes just as much as my pc.

On the other hand I also like rip apart PC people that have total mac hate, not for what it does or doesn't do, just because it has an apple logo on it.

Shit, I can't tell if you're actually agreeing with me or if this is a sarcastic rip on me. Ugh, I hate this thread.

I'm an Apple hater. Don't like the company, their policies or their CEO. But I wouldn't touch a PC to do my job if they offered me double the rate.

However, the only real advantage of Macs is you can just buy a MacPro with two internal hard drives and boot into Windows if you want. Best of both worlds.

I appreciate the attention and thought that is put into the construction of mac hardware. I find most PC designs to be uninspired at best (boxx) and hideous at worst (alienware). As a designer, this is relevant to my interests. I want my workspace to look as nice as my work does. As far as OS goes, use what you feel like using. You can run Windows fine on a mac (most of the machines at my work are dual-boot) so why not splurge on a sexy piece of hardware to satisfy that lust for nice things? You know you've got it, otherwise you wouldn't be in the biz ;)

well firstly that dude double posted... says alot about his computer skills... or maybe he thought that way it would be more true.. :unsure:

Secondly. i honestly had to go look under my desk right now, to even remember what my pc looks like. I just have it far in the corner now. boot up from keyboard ( 123 ), and extension usb cables to table. I really could not care less what it looks like. by quality monitors if you really want to.

but yes its true, if you don't know how to use a pc, a mac will probably work much better for you. OP, does use a pc, so not an issue.

thirdly, buying dell, boxx, and alienware systems in indeed kinda not the best idea, since they are massively overpriced. the OP was going to build his own.

forth: windows on mac hardware is not best of both worlds. you still payed a shitload, and now you have hardware restrictions. YAY.

fifth: Razer naga ( mouse with 17 buttons) does not work under mac... much like a butload of software and plugins.

otherwise great stuff..

why am i participating... coz i came home after sitting the airport for 5 hours, and now i need to vent.... so enjoy =)

It's not really about computer skills though. Computer skills alone won't save you in this cutthroat world. You have to have an eye for beauty. My point is super abstract, but I'm trying to approach this debate from an original angle. I agree with your points generally though, Vozz. Hope the flight wasn't too grueling.