- Personal Projects

Hope guys like it :)

Cheer!

PS. please give me some constructive feedback

sorry for my bad english

Edited by quasiquadrate

http://vimeo.com/1904533

But besides that, all else is fine.

In that part is my final thesis project, and OFFF lisbon from Dstrukt was just my mood and tone references.

the real different is subject and object I used in my thesis, I mean it completely different in term of subject and point

So u call this rip(copy) ???

Thanks for the comment :)

In that part is my final thesis project, and OFFF lisbon from Dstrukt was just my mood and tone references.

the real different is subject and object I used in my thesis, I mean it completely different in term of subject and point

So u call this rip(copy) ???

Thanks for the comment :)

To be fair I would call this biting someones style. Which in my book is not great but not as bad as a rip. To be fair although the look is the same as DSTRUKT it's not a direct rip. And all though dstrukt did a fantastic job with this "look" it's not as if they invented it either. It's always good if you have credits with your reel and you could point out the inspiration in the credits which would make it much more above board.

A bit disapointing it was for a thesis piece since I'm geussing you had total creative freedom and could have really done your own thing, if you had a director saying give me that dstrukt look maybe would be a bit more understandable.

I liked the reel though.

I don't think it's a great thing to do but personally I'd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this.

I would say a lot of your stuff has a pronounced look I have seen somwehere else before (which is a criticism that can be leveled at whole lot of mograph). Maybe the takeaway is work on developing your own voice a bit more and try and take the best of the stuff you like and synthesize it into something new that's original to you.

Edited by anothername

To be fair I would call this biting someones style. Which in my book is not great but not as bad as a rip. To be fair although the look is the same as DSTRUKT it's not a direct rip. And all though dstrukt did a fantastic job with this "look" it's not as if they invented it either. It's always good if you have credits with your reel and you could point out the inspiration in the credits which would make it much more above board.

A bit disapointing it was for a thesis piece since I'm geussing you had total creative freedom and could have really done your own thing, if you had a director saying give me that dstrukt look maybe would be a bit more understandable.

I liked the reel though.

I don't think it's a great thing to do but personally I'd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this.

I would say a lot of your stuff has a pronounced look I have seen somwehere else before (which is a criticism that can be leveled at whole lot of mograph). Maybe the takeaway is work on developing your own voice a bit more and try and take the best of the stuff you like and synthesize it into something new that's original to you.

For my thesis piece I also had a freedom to do everything I wish, if you had a chance to see my process and thinking process.

you will notice that I created my original already, you all know that thesis is not that easy and I can say that I do a lot of hard work with my idea and the whole concept, and story come from my inside(my mind), even though the final piece is look a bit like the references.

but before i color correction my footage, I start to experiment with a various style, and finally end up with the hospital feeling style (which you guys said i'm rip from Dstrukt)

before I decide to go for video style which I really familiar with, I have a lot of strong contents (my advicers said that), and they ask me how can I communicate my strong contents to the audience.

frankly I saw OFFF LISBON in 2008 and I started my thesis project on 2009, may be it still in my mind by the sight, that why some shot is still look like references

at least not all of my thesis project are look like OFF LISBON though, and I have completely different content and subject compare to OFFF LISBON 2008

yeah I do agree, it look like what Dstrukt created

(let's just said i'm not own my original in term of mood and style, but I do own in term of subject and contents )

but I wil improve myself and make it better next time :)

sorry for my bad english

Edited by quasiquadrate

Sawadeekrap Quasi!

I thought your reel was awesome! So when are we going to open a studio in Bangkok? =) My wife is Thai and we want to move to Thailand soon. I hope we can talk soon. I am very interested in the industry in Bangkok. I miss drinking Yadong!

Sawadeekrap Quasi!

I thought your reel was awesome! So when are we going to open a studio in Bangkok? =) My wife is Thai and we want to move to Thailand soon. I hope we can talk soon. I am very interested in the industry in Bangkok. I miss drinking Yadong!

hahaha sound like you know a lot of good stuffs in thailand, isn't it

if you are interested may be we can talk soon

thank for the compliment anyways :)

hahaha sound like you know a lot of good stuffs in thailand, isn't it

if you are interested may be we can talk soon

thank for the compliment anyways :)

Yea man. I went to a film festival at HOF art gallery in Bangkok in 2003. That festival is what got me into Motion Graphics. I;ve talked a little with Thee Tosayanond who is a motion designer in Bangkok. But yes I'd love to hear your perspective sometime. Every year I organize a big BMX competition at the Hua Mark Stadium so maybe we can meet up for coffee and talk motion.

Yea man. I went to a film festival at HOF art gallery in Bangkok in 2003. That festival is what got me into Motion Graphics. I;ve talked a little with Thee Tosayanond who is a motion designer in Bangkok. But yes I'd love to hear your perspective sometime. Every year I organize a big BMX competition at the Hua Mark Stadium so maybe we can meet up for coffee and talk motion.

sure man, let's talk motion

For my thesis piece I also had a freedom to do everything I wish, if you had a chance to see my process and thinking process.

you will notice that I created my original already, you all know that thesis is not that easy and I can say that I do a lot of hard work with my idea and the whole concept, and story come from my inside(my mind), even though the final piece is look a bit like the references.

but before i color correction my footage, I start to experiment with a various style, and finally end up with the hospital feeling style (which you guys said i'm rip from Dstrukt)

before I decide to go for video style which I really familiar with, I have a lot of strong contents (my advicers said that), and they ask me how can I communicate my strong contents to the audience.

frankly I saw OFFF LISBON in 2008 and I started my thesis project on 2009, may be it still in my mind by the sight, that why some shot is still look like references

at least not all of my thesis project are look like OFF LISBON though, and I have completely different content and subject compare to OFFF LISBON 2008

yeah I do agree, it look like what Dstrukt created

(let's just said i'm not own my original in term of mood and style, but I do own in term of subject and contents )

but I wil improve myself and make it better next time :)

sorry for my bad english

Sorry if my original reply came to be a bit harsh. I was just pointing out the obvious :)

You have good work, no doubt about it. And that style is not Dstrukts. It's been done before. However, what caught me off guard is the exact same look that they did.

Now, if I had seen your piece without any names, I would have said this is Chris Hewitt's new work. That's how close your work is to his (and Rob Chiu.) They have a distinctive style that is truly their own, in a way.

Same color scheme and may I say even what was included in the shots. (Squid vs. mouth.) Very similar.

My honest opinion on this whole thing is that you can be inspired by work, but making things look exactly (or even really close to it) like other peoples work, it just comes off as unprofessional.

A lot of people have eyes and with the advent of the internet, it's really hard not to find who a certain person is mimicking, being inspired by, etc.

Regardless, your work is good and you know that. Just try to create your own style since you have the fundamentals down already.

Good luck!

Edited by hyp3

Sorry if my original reply came to be a bit harsh. I was just pointing out the obvious :)

You have good work, no doubt about it. And that style is not Dstrukts. It's been done before. However, what caught me off guard is the exact same look that they did.

Now, if I had seen your piece without any names, I would have said this is Chris Hewitt's new work. That's how close your work is to his (and Rob Chiu.) They have a distinctive style that is truly their own, in a way.

Same color scheme and may I say even what was included in the shots. (Squid vs. mouth.) Very similar.

My honest opinion on this whole thing is that you can be inspired by work, but making things look exactly (or even really close to it) like other peoples work, it just comes off as unprofessional.

A lot of people have eyes and with the advent of the internet, it's really hard not to find who a certain person is mimicking, being inspired by, etc.

Regardless, your work is good and you know that. Just try to create your own style since you have the fundamentals down already.

Good luck!

Yes, you're right, if I have seen someone work like this, Chris Hewitt with no doubt

but you said I making things look exactly or even really close to it, I didn't agree with this comment

I didn't watch OFFF Lisbon while I shooting my thesis, Can I said it accidentally look like because of my mind by sight?

it's like if you shooting stuffs on the light-box, will made your work look like Chris Hewitt's work?, seriously ?

even my camera perspective also look like him?, can we copy someone else camera perspective?

in fact because of Chris Hewitt did this stuff first, that why it make a very memorable in your mind

even me, it still on my mind by sight as well

that what I want to say, sorry if it a bit hard to understand, but I just what to say what I think

after I read your comment, it very stimulate me to create my original, and it help me a lot

your point is avoid to create something people did before.

create original style is hard. but I'll try my best

I will do my best to create my own impressive works

thank for the comment hyp3 :)

create original style is hard. but I'll try my best

This is probably one of the hardest things to do in mograph. I struggle with this every day. You have a solid reel and I'm sure with time and experimentation you'll find ways bring more of your own style to your work, sure for most of us this is a long hard process. Good luck!

audio = rave, visuals = bad acid trip.

there were some parts that made sense, but on the whole, most of it seemed very experimental or tutorial-ish. my suggestion would be to try to create some order in all that chaos. visual stimulation and visual mind-f*ck are two different things i think. but some people buy into it so good luck to you.

audio = rave, visuals = bad acid trip.

there were some parts that made sense, but on the whole, most of it seemed very experimental or tutorial-ish. my suggestion would be to try to create some order in all that chaos. visual stimulation and visual mind-f*ck are two different things i think. but some people buy into it so good luck to you.

very stunning and harsh comment

completely understand what you mean

but

audio = rave, visuals = bad acid trip. <<<< what's that mean actually

my eng ain't good so pls explain me

thanks

very stunning and harsh comment

completely understand what you mean

but

audio = rave, visuals = bad acid trip. <<<< what's that mean actually

my eng ain't good so pls explain me

thanks

the music doesn't match the visuals very well and that beat overpowers the animation. it's like hearing the soundtrack to topgun while watching legends of the fall. if your animations were on beat then it wouldn't seem like such a pretentious load? stuff like dstrukt's reels is almost perfectly edited and his musicality is logical. yours not too much.

and i'd leave out all that cloner stuff. that's been done to death and i guess some might like that stuff. but unless you can use them in some original way, it just looks like a total rip of a tutorial or someone else's reel and you come off as an amateur who got too excited when he discovered how easy it was to make cool looking stuff with c4d.

and what i meant by experimental was like with the cloner/metaball part. sure it looks cool the first couple times you've seen it. but it really doesn't show much technical skill. any discerning person's gonna ask themselves "ok so what was the point of that?" where's the composition, where's the focus, what is this person trying to tell me by showing me this? if you're trying to showoff your chops in segments like this, then i think you're shooting yourself in the foot.

i thought that laser part was your strongest, but you've also got some very basic stuff like that mario part. that totally discredits your other work. keep it short and sweet. 10 seconds of awesome will always beat a minute of eh.

i'd leave the live action stuff out totally. any monkey can film some worms and then add a vignette and curves in post. the way you cut is nothing to write home about either. that segment is probably what the other guy meant by saying you were ripping dstrukt. the reason those sections worked for dstrukt was due to his impeccable tastes and not that he had access to a camera. and what's up with the teeth on the meat? what's that supposed to show me? your natural eye for pointless? because that's all i'm getting.

so what i'm saying is your reel, to me at least, is very pretentious. and the only reason i'm being so harsh is because i had a similar reel when i first started and i got chewed out like no other. but it saved my ass from making the wrong first impression to a lot of important clients. and i don't know if you got the memo, but most clients have no patience for ego in the form of a reel. when they don't like it they don't give you a crit, they just never hire you or call you again.

Edited by killkillakillyo

the music doesn't match the visuals very well and that beat overpowers the animation. it's like hearing the soundtrack to topgun while watching legends of the fall. if your animations were on beat then it wouldn't seem like such a pretentious load? stuff like dstrukt's reels is almost perfectly edited and his musicality is logical. yours not too much.

and i'd leave out all that cloner stuff. that's been done to death and i guess some might like that stuff. but unless you can use them in some original way, it just looks like a total rip of a tutorial or someone else's reel and you come off as an amateur who got too excited when he discovered how easy it was to make cool looking stuff with c4d.

and what i meant by experimental was like with the cloner/metaball part. sure it looks cool the first couple times you've seen it. but it really doesn't show much technical skill. any discerning person's gonna ask themselves "ok so what was the point of that?" where's the composition, where's the focus, what is this person trying to tell me by showing me this? if you're trying to showoff your chops in segments like this, then i think you're shooting yourself in the foot.

i thought that laser part was your strongest, but you've also got some very basic stuff like that mario part. that totally discredits your other work. keep it short and sweet. 10 seconds of awesome will always beat a minute of eh.

i'd leave the live action stuff out totally. any monkey can film some worms and then add a vignette and curves in post. the way you cut is nothing to write home about either. that segment is probably what the other guy meant by saying you were ripping dstrukt. the reason those sections worked for dstrukt was due to his impeccable tastes and not that he had access to a camera. and what's up with the teeth on the meat? what's that supposed to show me? your natural eye for pointless? because that's all i'm getting.

so what i'm saying is your reel, to me at least, is very pretentious. and the only reason i'm being so harsh is because i had a similar reel when i first started and i got chewed out like no other. but it saved my ass from making the wrong first impression to a lot of important clients. and i don't know if you got the memo, but most clients have no patience for ego in the form of a reel. when they don't like it they don't give you a crit, they just never hire you or call you again.

ok, let's do it this way

if I were you, I would not consider only technical skill even though it very necessary in motion/VFX industrial.

if I got a very high-end quality of showreel that shocked people all over the world about my god skills, then i wouldn't feel so much proud about it.

because no one is the best of technical skills in the world.

in the other hand, what I concern and approach was about try my best to communicate interesting contents alongside aesthetic. that 's my point!

my point is create a strong and impressive contents that everybody can understand, that's my point, not only showing oh! hey look I am a god of c4D , i'm so proud of it......ironic!!

and if I were a Professor in 3D/motion class or i wanna hire someone, I would consider from fundamental to advanced, not only advance advance and advance!

basic + good composition > advanced + crap composition

for the 3D part, i try to improve my skills everyday, a lot of 3d works you saw, is for live visual performance (Dance Festival)

and I working with pretty limited equipment and rather hard condition dude,

if I got high end desktop and huge amount of time, i'm sure that everything will change

I working only in 2D motion but just try to change in to 3D man

after I learned from the tutorial, I will consider to experiment and keep that experiment match with the music on the live performance

honestly i'm really new in c4D, but at least i'm sure that i not directly copy from the tutorials

for the live action footage, if you get a pointless from my works, then I will try to understand from the eye of technician like you

if I were u I will not judge like what you did, because it will make you look like retarded.

And for the music, are you a designer ?, did you experience a experimental works before?

don't be stick too much to Dtrukt style man, this is year 2010 not before BC. open dictionary and try to understand "experimental"

and hey I'm intend too use this song not randomly pick it from itune :)

I don't know how many experience you passed, but it's show that you only look at technical skill

then may be I have to change my showreel title to technical skills showreel or conceptual showreel.

I really appreciate your comments about technic, I know that's I'm so poor about technic right now

I will improve myself more

i know that you comment is very helpful if i have to work in the motion/VFX industrial and also with a big clients

i just wanna explain what I think, maybe you not see what I see

but you better keep you eye and your mind wider open dude! :)

sorry for my bad english

Edited by quasiquadrate