Sign in to follow this  
superegophobia

Mortal Kombat

Interesting take and polished (check it out in HD) for a fake trailer. The lack of hand-held motion in the fighting scene seemed to slow the pacing down but otherwise kept my attention throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&feature=player_embedded

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/06/five-questions-kevin-tancharoen--kevin-tancharoen------gb-the-trailer-is-a-sensation-and-one-reason-is-its-extremely-polish.html

There should be a scene in the movie where one of the fighter's is complaining about an opponents fighting style. Something like…"I don't get it…I know he keeps winning…but…it seems a little weak and amateurish to win by sweep kicking your opponent to death…he's got ONE freaking move!!!!"

i liked the concept, though kind of cheesy at times. i know it's a fake trailer and *should* improve if it ever goes into production (right? haha) but I liked the direction they went with; giving everyone a backstory based on semi-plausible (okay, okay) events. it's also really gritty which I like.. unlike the first two. reminds me of the direction batman went when chris nolan took over. 

Is this amateur?! It has proper actors in it (although B-list). If this maintains some of the original videogame character, i'm in!

@ superegophobia

The lack of handheld is because of the fact that it's a martial arts movie, not the Bourn Identity. You want to see the 'skill'. It could've been a bit more dynamic though, i agree.

Guest Sao_Bento

There's nothing worse than a movie where they think they need to "spice up the action" with a bunch of shaky cam. Take a lesson from Jackie Chan on that one - the camera / sfx rigs can never compete with real physical skill.

Is this amateur?! It has proper actors in it (although B-list). If this maintains some of the original videogame character, i'm in!

@ superegophobia

The lack of handheld is because of the fact that it's a martial arts movie, not the Bourn Identity. You want to see the 'skill'. It could've been a bit more dynamic though, i agree.

"Docu style" cameras can only be done by certain directors. Not everyone can do it.

I think unless you're Paul Greengrass or Tony Scott, you shouldn't try to do it unless you can do it really well.

"Docu style" cameras can only be done by certain directors. Not everyone can do it.

I think unless you're Paul Greengrass or Tony Scott, you shouldn't try to do it unless you can do it really well.

I just recently watched 'Children of Men', and thought they did a good job of using "docu style" cameras on only certain shots / scenes which called for it, without making it seem like a mixed-style film.