Sign in to follow this  
MortenSJ

How to build up a road in Cinema4D with mograph?

Hi :)

I am trying to build up a road like the image in the attachment, but i cant get it to work.

My first thought was to use the clonerojbect, and the splineeffector, but dosent look to good.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do it?

1069931267909218.png

I think you'll have better luck asking google than on this board.

Ask Google "Hi Google, how are you today? How do I create a road using a spline wrap deformer and some other crap?" in those EXACT words and you'll be surprised what you get.

If you want to get answers on this board, make it easier for the dudes to give you an answer. Basically this time, you just showed us a picture, and told us to animate it for free. Even multi-billion dollar clients know that's not how to get results.

And saying "I can't get it to work" is like saying "man I ain't doing this sh*t! You fools do it or else I kill you!"

Be more specific. Tell us that you tried to orient the clones correctly or have the falloff paper thin or something.

Edited by killkillakillyo

posting up a scene file of what you got so far always helps.

so does a link to the animation.

from what i see i'd say, it was done with particles, not mograph, though there is probably a way to do it with mograph, just takes some experimenting.

I think you can get away with a little tweaking of this:

- create a cube with the length of your road and enough subdivisions

- create an open spline with the shape of your road

- splinewrap of cube and spline

- create a cube the size of the pieces the road should be built of

- cloner object in object mode with the splinewrap-cube as reference

- spline effector on the cloner-object with the spline of your road to get the shape right

- a random effector for the Cloner Object

- a simple effector with scale set to -1 to let the pieces disappear

- animate the falloff of the simple and the random-effector

streetc4d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I´m sure there are far more elegant ways to do this, but it works.

Still interested in the video you took the image from though to see how it was animated.

You're unlikely to get many replies without linking to the original video so we can see how it was animated.

Sorry, you can wath the actual animation here - http://www.behance.net/gallery/TV2-Underholdning-Ayedrops/444715

I think you'll have better luck asking google than on this board.

Ask Google "Hi Google, how are you today? How do I create a road using a spline wrap deformer and some other crap?" in those EXACT words and you'll be surprised what you get...

What a ridiculous answer!

Please tell me were in my topic i ask people to do it for me for free!?!?

I asked, if anyone had any ideas how to build it!

If thats the only thing you can contribute with, please don't!

posting up a scene file of what you got so far always helps.

so does a link to the animation.

from what i see i'd say, it was done with particles, not mograph, though there is probably a way to do it with mograph, just takes some experimenting.

I have posted a link to the scene file i have been working on. Its fare from the effect i want.

http://www.solvstrom.com/diverse/road_test.zip

I think you can get away with a little tweaking of this:

- create a cube with the length of your road and enough subdivisions

- create an open spline with the shape of your road

- splinewrap of cube and spline

- create a cube the size of the pieces the road should be built of

- cloner object in object mode with the splinewrap-cube as reference

- spline effector on the cloner-object with the spline of your road to get the shape right

- a random effector for the Cloner Object

- a simple effector with scale set to -1 to let the pieces disappear

- animate the falloff of the simple and the random-effector

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I´m sure there are far more elegant ways to do this, but it works.

Still interested in the video you took the image from though to see how it was animated.

Thanks alot dom! .. I will definitely try your solution. It sounds like a good way to do it!

Dom, nice! Mograph feels like its getting better again recently. No need for paragraph long put downs killkillayo, you responded like he just came and kicked your dog.

I think that trying to build the road out of actual blocks is complicating it...I think the road is just a sweepnurb...and then the blocks have the road texture on them...but they are only on the front end of the sweep...that way you get a nice clean road with the appearance of it building out of blocks.

I think that trying to build the road out of actual blocks is complicating it...I think the road is just a sweepnurb...and then the blocks have the road texture on them...but they are only on the front end of the sweep...that way you get a nice clean road with the appearance of it building out of blocks.

Heavily agree.

yeah, that approach is going to get you no-where, go with tarzan-jesus's idea.

@TJ: dude, how did you come up with that screen name O_o

I think the road is just a sweepnurb...and then the blocks have the road texture on them...but they are only on the front end of the sweep.

Haha, maybe I took the "built the road with mograph"-part too literally. This sounds definitely like an easier way to do it, going to try it later.

How would you get the blocks to appear random in front of the road then? An emitter following the SweepNurbs?

Always curious to see how other people approach such things, I still tend to think too comlicated when it comes to c4d!

I put together this file really fast. It is untextured but it could work. This animation could be done a ton of ways ... this was the quick solution. I'd like someone else to put together another option. Curious their method.

<< DOWNLOAD >> Road Sweep Build

Hope this is of some use.

Enjoy,

Eric