Sign in to follow this  
Atom

Extrusion From Alpha Video In C4D

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new to C4D.

I have a project that supplied a series of animated people walking, silhouettes. These silhouette videos have an alpha channel, but I am wondering if it is possible to create an extrusion from the video so I have actual geometry in my scene, instead of an image mapped plane?

Thanks

You will never be able to extrude silhouettes from flat planes and make them look convincingly like "3D people".

You can however feed an image sequence through a Vectorizer to create a spline, which can then be extruded.

-m

I know I can live trace an image sequence using Bridge, but will C4D honor an .AI sequence? Or is there a script that will take a series of AI files and create some kind of animated spline that I could then extrude?

I know I can live trace an image sequence using Bridge, but will C4D honor an .AI sequence? Or is there a script that will take a series of AI files and create some kind of animated spline that I could then extrude?

You're not hearing me.

C4D > Help > Vectorizer

-m

You're not hearing me.

C4D > Help > Vectorizer

-m

I've also gotten results using the relief object with a high contrast source image sequence and a masking material with transparency. This is useful if you don't want splines, just geometry with some grays for falloff.

also, "Help" is next to "Window" :D

c

Edited by Colin@movecraft

Hmm...

It looks like Vectorize will do a single frame, but I need an animated sequence. I tried an image sequence that works with After Effects but Vectorize did not display anything except a rectangle in the aspect ratio of a single image.

I tried supplying a single quicktime.mov with alpha to Vectorize and got nothing (or perhaps only the first frame which is blank).

Is there some clever way to make Vectorize process a sequence? The help for Vectorize is like 2 lines long.

Is there some special format that frame numbers need to be in for Vectorize to recognize the sequence?

Edited by Atom

That texture slot in the Vectorizer is for single picts not movies

(not as in a Material slot).

You either script or simply keyframe a picture serie.

For some extra fun you can use a MoSpline using the vectorizer as

source and then use MoGraph effectors such as the DelayEffector.

You do need super contrast picts i.e Black and White, to get anything

remotely useful out of it.

The best vector extractor I know is www.vectormagic.com.

It lets you batch process a pict serie.

Cheers

Lennart

I've been working on getting the Vectorizer to update from an image sequence myself. Been reading the COFFEE bible and I think Im getting close to loading the images in an array and then passing them with the time node to the texture channel. No luck so far. If I figure it out Ill post up my finds here.

I've been working on getting the Vectorizer to update from an image sequence myself. Been reading the COFFEE bible and I think Im getting close to loading the images in an array and then passing them with the time node to the texture channel. No luck so far. If I figure it out Ill post up my finds here.

YESSS! I cracked this one! I've always wanted to do make a script to automate this - ie to be abled to create Vectorizer animations. So far I've done it manually typing the name one frame at a time, but finally I had to make that (a project needed it)...

And it's SOOO simple!

What you gotta do is first of all make the image sequence you want to vectorize, usually an alpha of an image. Make them psd sequences with the actual alpha being the rgb information (easy to do in AE). Name your file say (mykeyout_#.psd) - remember to make only one # in the name (that will be replaced by the frame number in the filenames).

Then you go to Cinema 4d and create a vectorizer node. Then add "xpresso" node to it. Then right click the xpresso window to create a "New Node -> Xpresso -> General -> Time". Then right click on the red part of that new node and select "time". After that right click on the xpresso window grid (like you did with the time node) and select "New Node -> Xpresso -> Math -> C.O.F.F.E.E.". Double click on the blue balloons next to Input1 and Input2. They'll disappear. Then click on the blue cube left to the name of the COFFEE node. Select: "Integer". Then double click the red Output 1 balloon to the right. It'll go away. Click on the red cube above that (right hand side to the coffee name). Select: String.

Then in the object inspector (usually in the bottom right corner of the window) paste this code:

main()

{

var a = "mykeyout_"; //this is the main filename

var b = tostring(frameinput); //this is the frame number

var c = ".psd"; //this is the .psd abbreviation

Output1 = tostring(a+ b + c); //this is the output from the node

}

Then drag the Vectorizer object from the object console on the right onto the xpresso window. It'll create a node for that. Click on the blue cube on that node and select: Object properties -> Texture.

Connect the frame node to the coffee node and then the coffee node to the vectorizer node. And bam. You should have an animated vector graphic that you can abuse in soooo many different ways that it makes me dizzy at this hour...

I hope this lil' tutorial will give as much joy to you as it gave me (first time I needed this was 2 years ago, but never had the time/need to make the effort to figure out the automation technique!!!! Now: super-excited! I don't want to sleep!!!

T

Nice way, but for me is not working, I supposed to get an animated vector in the time line? Because I am still getting a static vector (depends which frame number I enter in the var b = tostring(10); //this is the frame number). I am I doing something wrong? Anyone else tried it? Thanks, Daimon <BR><BR>ps. Can you please post your .c4d file

Edited by daimon