Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

Poly reduction of model in C4D

Hey there... I have a model of a crab that I got from turbosquid and is about 250K polys. I need to do a simulation of them filling up a container using mograph 2 dynamics in cinema. The actual simulation is not all that difficult, but it is extremely slow working with that ridiculous model. I tried using the poly reduction but even set at 2% it messes up all the UVW mapping. Anyone know of a method to reduce the polys and have the textures preserved.... baking the textures and then doing the poly reduction.... or is there some other way. Unfortunately I have an amazingly short deadline for this, but we also have XSI and MAX 2011 available as tools. Thanks in advance for any ideas.... I can upload the cinema file if that helps in any way possible, but prob not until tomorrow morning.

make a low poly mesh of the crab. use it in the simulation, and then use the inheritence effector to replace the low poly mesh with the high poly crab.

make a low poly mesh of the crab. use it in the simulation, and then use the inheritence effector to replace the low poly mesh with the high poly crab.

Ditto what vozz said... which is also the solution to more problems than you can possibly imagine.

-m

took a look at the inheritence effector and honestly I sadly do not know how that would work for me. I am trying an instance object with poly reduction right now and that is okay.... Any chance either of you could give me more details. I am looking up the help now for inheritence effector and also on Cineversity. Thanks

The method is less about the inheritance effector an more about solving dynamics with a LOW poly model and rendering with a HIGH poly model.

That means dynamics will calculate quickly with fewer polys and you needn't worry about changing textures.

Have you made a low poly crab yet?

And BTW, C4D's Poly Reduction Deformer is mostly for show... it will likely cause more problems than help.

-m

Yeah... right now I have a low poly model made and it is def speeding things up. Not sure if I am doing it exactly right, but it is working okay. Thanks for the advice

Maybe it's too late, but XSI have a very good polygon reduction tool (Model->Poly Mesh->Polygon Reduction). It maintains the UVs very well, but if there is a problem with the generated low-res mesh, you can use easily use GATOR to transfer the UVs and textures from the original high poly model.