Sign in to follow this  
neosushi

3D Packages

Hello Folks,

i was just curious what kind of 3D Software Package you guys'n'gals are using.

This is not to start a "this is better than..." Thread. I'm just interessted :)

Thanks in advance for your help

cheers

::neosushi::

i'm gona tell you straight off everyone here uses atleast cinema4D. it's just the fastest to work with. those who need some features that c4d doesnt have ussually go to maya. (mainly coz it's mac compatible i'm guessing)

Wow, i mean till now it's only 6 Votes. But all are C4D.

Is there a reason why ? Is it the MoGraph module and if so, what is so special about and it and is it worth the cash ?!

Cheers

Neosushi,

I can only speak for myself, but I work in a really fast-paced environment and C4D is the fastest and most efficient package for the kinds of 3D needs I have. I was a Maya user for a couple years before I picked up Cinema and now I barely touch it. I can get things do SO much faster in C4D.

R

Wow, i mean till now it's only 6 Votes. But all are C4D.

Is there a reason why ? Is it the MoGraph module and if so, what is so special about and it and is it worth the cash ?!

Cheers

Hmmm, something smells fishy (excuse the pun).

Um, aren't you *the* neosushi?

Aren't you a beta tester for Maxon?

-m

Hmmm, something smells fishy (excuse the pun).

Um, aren't you *the* neosushi?

Aren't you a beta tester for Maxon?

-m

No i am not a beta tester :)

I'm working for MAXON actually and i'm really curious what drives the users to use C4D. I'm really interested in stuff like that, it's more a personal thing and has nothing todo

with MAXON at all :)

What do you mean with "the" neosushi :) Sounds quite hero like :) muahhaha :)

cheers

PS: This is personal and no official MAXON poll. I'm just a CG freak that want's to know what's up out there.

No i am not a beta tester :)

I'm working for MAXON actually and i'm really curious what drives the users to use C4D. I'm really interested in stuff like that, it's more a personal thing and has nothing todo

with MAXON at all :)

What do you mean with "the" neosushi :) Sounds quite hero like :) muahhaha :)

cheers

PS: This is personal and no official MAXON poll. I'm just a CG freak that want's to know what's up out there.

Well as I'm sure you're aware... your work is in the Abstracts presets of the Content Browser.

Once your work comes included in C4D's Content Browser... yea... you get a "the" prefix. ;)

That's why I find the poll a little odd... don't you already know why people use it for motion graphics?

Power, speed, ease of use, and the best AE integration of any 3D application?

-m

EDIT: I don't mean to slow down the polling or comments... just curious.

Edited by the_Monkey

As Winston Churchill might have put it:

"Cinema4D is the worst form of 3D program except for all those others that are out there".

Basically , there are parts in the app that simply steal quality time of your life instead of

just "doing it", aka absurd work arounds.

Cheers

Lennart

Neosushi,

I can only speak for myself, but I work in a really fast-paced environment and C4D is the fastest and most efficient package for the kinds of 3D needs I have. I was a Maya user for a couple years before I picked up Cinema and now I barely touch it. I can get things do SO much faster in C4D.

R

I have had the same experience. I used Maya for years and one day gave C4D a shot. It took me only a few weeks to transition. As others have stated, the 3d>Compositing workflow is the best. Maya to my knowledge still has lame MEL scripting hacks to get the same results. I love Maya but in a fast paced environment where you are the only person on the project ... you will fall behind on delivery.

Yeah, probably the maya maniacs dont saw the post, i work with maya since 2004 and since maya 2009 the workflow improved and became way more faster (the render passes are awesome now, you quitters should try it heheh) but definitly cinema 4D is pretty fast and easy to work with tight deadlines.

I started in Lightwave, refined in Maya, and tried C4D (because of all the hype). Maya gets my vote. Once you work with a nodal workflow, it's tough to give up all that control to check boxes and slider bars.

If you're good in one, what's the point of moving?

If you're doing MoGraph and you need 3d software, C4D is your choice.

What sucks is some companies are forcing all the full timers to move on to a different app. Now that's terrible.

I started in Lightwave, refined in Maya, and tried C4D (because of all the hype). Maya gets my vote. Once you work with a nodal workflow, it's tough to give up all that control to check boxes and slider bars.

And what exactly were you able to achieve with a nodal workflow that you were unable to accomplish without it?

-m

See, I feel like the only idiot that stuck with lightwave this long. Yes, I voted the 1 vote in this poll. I am actually surprised that lightwave is in there at all. I am currently trying to learn C4d but I am learning slowly due to only having time at home to study the program. Eventually I will be incorporating c4d into my work flow but not until I have a good handle of the program.

Edited by C-FU

I love c4d, because it is the most customizable of all the apps i've tried. It lets you set up everything the way you want, and the stuff that it can it does it very quickly. And preceudrally if you need be. It's like the perfect mid ground between the traditional 3dapp and houdini. you can do ALOT of stuff with xpresso, that just makes your life incredibly easy.

yeah the dynamics module is a massive let down, and the particles leave a lot to be desired. But everything else is just great!

And what exactly were you able to achieve with a nodal workflow that you were unable to accomplish without it?

-m

Working with nodes in a graphical application can accomplish anything you want it to without limitations. One big advantage of a node-based workflow lies in the clarity of your scenes. Very complicated scenes can be followed very easily, because you just follow the flow chart (hypergraph:connections). Given it is a flow chart, at any part in a branch, you can branch off again, do some adjustments and then just come back into the main flow. This allows you to experiment very quickly and efficiently and get the results you desired, not just the results the app lets you get.

I"m not trying to ruffle feathers with a message board that has 90% C4D users, but I feel that once most of you dove into this workflow fully, you would not look back.

Working with nodes in a graphical application can accomplish anything you want it to without limitations.

I'm aware of what node based workflow is and it's advantages.

I just didn't see anything in your reel that couldn't be done with any 3D package (including lightwave).

That's why I was curious what limitations you felt you ran into in C4D without the use of nodes (expressions? materials?).

If it's just a matter of preferring the workflow I totally get that, but I'm not seeing the limitations in the results.

-m

Npower brep plugin and 3ds Max = the shit. Haven't used maya too much, don't like the interface and no history/modifiers. C4d is pretty sweet, just haven't put it through intense production yet. I'm usually working with 50+ million poly files. Can it handle it?

The only thing I dislike about C4D is it's Depth of Field settings.

Anyway to make it better? Plugins? Etc?

Depth pass and frischluft lenscare, not used cinemas DOF since my first render in it, so slow

C4D can be very nodal, in a great way. It's called xpresso. Why type code when you can plug in in a box that does the same.

Analogy: would you rather build your own synth or experiment and play with modules already in existence?

A good basic understanding of 3D goes reallllllly far in C4D. I don't prefer it for modeling complex geometry, but in every other area rock on! Fully customizable hot boxes would fix that I think.

1) The interface is eye friendly, so it's inviting. It says, "Hey! Look at all these shiny buttons!!!"

2) The instruction manual is short and to the point , and for the most part intelligible .

3) It’s stable