Sign in to follow this  
komix

'Studio' vs 'Production company'

What's the difference of 'Studio' and 'Production company'?

When you see page like;

http://motionographer.com/cream/

You can see different category- studio and production company.

Do you know more general categories of making-moving-image companys

and difference between them?

Actually, English is not my mother tongue,

and now I am writing about 'studio system' in moving image/motion graphics.

So, I am also wondering if you can give me more sense on the word, 'studio'.

'Studio' originally means a room with big windows?

Do you know brief hostory of the word?

It may be siily, but I found that some company use 'studio', and some others use 'studioS'

Can you explain it?

A production company facilitates the production of usually live action images. It can be a handful of people in a bathroom with some phones. Point is it's a group of production people that make shoots come together with usually a stable of directors associated with them.

A studio is where shit is actually captured or created. Like a live action studio is usually a sound stage. Or an animation studio would be a place where all the stuff is made. There are many times though that an animation studio has a built in production staff as well.

This is how I think about it:

Studio = company name slapped on all work regardless of who makes it as an "employee" of the company. i.e. Sony Midnight by Imaginary Powers

Production Company = Director gets credit for project, which is produced through his / her Production Company. i.e. Jack's Surprise Directed by Bob James Produced by Wasp Studios, Inc.

This is how I think about it:

Studio = company name slapped on all work regardless of who makes it as an "employee" of the company. i.e. Sony Midnight by Imaginary Powers

Production Company = Director gets credit for project, which is produced through his / her Production Company. i.e. Jack's Surprise Directed by Bob James Produced by Wasp Studios, Inc.

I think this is a great on the representation of both definitions.

Production companies I think are like a chain restaurant...Some care about the people working for them, but most of the time they expect you to do all the work with not as much recognition.

where as

Studios sometimes look at you as something "special" and don't take you for granted as much. (but then again, they can view you as disposable)

studio - Creative descisions, deal with clients, worry about brand identity and so on

production company - works to brief from studio or creative/cheap client who doesn't hire a studio.

as far as i've been able to deduce anyway.

studio ussually have production capabilities, but they are ussually less than that of dedicated production companies. so they will do small stuff themselves, but outsource heavier projects to a production company.