Sign in to follow this  
Fred Camino

ROCKSTARS

I often see job postings looking for ROCKSTAR designers.

What does this mean exactly?

I guess if you have to ask, you're probably not one... right?

That being said, I'd love to hear from those who feel they meet the ROCKSTAR requirement. Is it about sheer skill? Do you have to understand every element of the Mograph module? I assume you have to be really good at expressions and xpresso. But, is it also about a crazy over-the-top attitude? Is it about tattoos? Is it about drugs and chicks? All of the above and more?

I don't have any tats but once my girlfriend and I "messed around" in front of a greenscreen while C4D was rendering. Does that make me a ROCKSTAR?

I don't have any tats but once my girlfriend and I "messed around" in front of a greenscreen while C4D was rendering. Does that make me a ROCKSTAR?

Yes. Yes it does.

to say that you are a rockstar is to also say that you're done learning and to be completely confident in your present bag of tricks. Since this field is always updating and changing, even the most experienced people have to stay abreast of what's going on, or they will get passed. One thing I always try to keep in mind is that somewhere across an ocean is a 17 yr old that could be learning the exact same thing as me.

I also strongly feel that the true Rockstars (not the drink) are not the ones with the best sense of design, but the problem solvers who can figure out the best way to achieve the desired results.

"Are You A Rockstar?" is really a question thats answer stems from where you, as a designer, are at now.

I am a self proclaimed non-rockstar, but to someone else in the field I may be. All depends on your vantage point is what I'm saying.

rockstar = grounds for low pay and abuse.

"Looking forsomeone who can do it all!! flash, after effects, maya, C4D, HTML, dreamweaver, CSS, cold fusion, Avid & FCP A MUST!!

Bonus points for:

scripting automation

MEL / python scripting

avid DS Nitris experience

DaVinci

inferno

smoke

pro tools

logic

on occasion a wiping of the inadequate team leaders behind is required (must supply own latex gloves). Must provide own system"

rockstar = grounds for low pay and abuse.

"Looking forsomeone who can do it all!! flash, after effects, maya, C4D, HTML, dreamweaver, CSS, cold fusion, Avid & FCP A MUST!!

Sounds like my last studio FT job... The low pay and abuse / lack of respect or understanding for what all of the above really entails was reason I went freelance.

I had another 2 mographs with me, but no pics ;)

I think it is really bad this term of ROCKSTAR.

We are designs, directors, illustrators, animators... I sound like the new kids that want to be a ROCKSTAR and think our field is a pop show.

I will tell my clients that don't pay or ask me to pitch for free that I am a rockstar and I am also thinking to create a Big Brother Design show for the ones that think they are a Rockstar.

Edited by guera

The hilarity with the 'Rockstar' term thrown around by everyone who thinks they're in the know is - it's less about what you think you are and more about how you're perceived.

Calling yourself a Rockstar is bunk. That's like giving yourself a nickname, and we all know that makes you look like a T-Bone.

On the other hand, to be referred to as a Rockstar is more appropriate - assuming your swooping 10's, slinging ridonk pixels and pulling hole-shots in the studio parking lot in your Porsche (or your fixie) while sipping a warm tallboy of whatever low end beer is considered hip this week. This adds a perceived awesomeness to your rep. Posting pics online of you sweating, sipping and puffing stuff with super hot chicks doesn't hurt.

But alas, all this skinny jeaned messy haired funky odored tomfoolery only gets you dubbed with Rockstar status if you can back up all the shenangans with work that's dead nuts every time.

Looking to hire someone who calls THEMSELVES a rockstar will only lead to heartache. And a blown deadline. Not to mention having to deal with the modern assery of people who speak every sentence in the form of a question.

The hilarity with the 'Rockstar' term thrown around by everyone who thinks they're in the know is - it's less about what you think you are and more about how you're perceived.

Calling yourself a Rockstar is bunk. That's like giving yourself a nickname, and we all know that makes you look like a T-Bone.

On the other hand, to be referred to as a Rockstar is more appropriate - assuming your swooping 10's, slinging ridonk pixels and pulling hole-shots in the studio parking lot in your Porsche (or your fixie) while sipping a warm tallboy of whatever low end beer is considered hip this week. This adds a perceived awesomeness to your rep. Posting pics online of you sweating, sipping and puffing stuff with super hot chicks doesn't hurt.

But alas, all this skinny jeaned messy haired funky odored tomfoolery only gets you dubbed with Rockstar status if you can back up all the shenangans with work that's dead nuts every time.

Looking to hire someone who calls THEMSELVES a rockstar will only lead to heartache. And a blown deadline. Not to mention having to deal with the modern assery of people who speak every sentence in the form of a question.

damn, i have no idea what you're saying but it sounds awesome.

there are "rockstars" (g-stars, raybans, lip-rings, flannel, and 100% copycats taking credit for other peoples' ideas/hard work) and then there are rockstars (sick ass slap-your-momma boards, no rips, all original gangster shit, come to work in bball shorts and slides, no shirt). nothing against skinny jeans, raybans, and lip-rings.

the first type are on every corner of the block. the latter, dark horses who'll never admit to it. i know guys with bowl haircuts, listen to country, and wear levis that are rockstars. but i know more overpaid posers who claim originality on shit they ffffound.

EDIT: and jon's right. there's no such thing as a self-proclaimed rockstar. humility is a huge factor in being a rockstar as the quality of your work has an inverse relationship to how much you let it get to your head.

i am not a rockstar because i post first, then read the thread, then edit accordingly.

Edited by killkillakillyo

I once was running in the Hollywood hills and a convertible full of blonde Swedish tourist girls pulled up beside me giggling and asked me if I could show them how to get to the Hollywood sign.

I once was running in the Hollywood hills and a convertible full of blonde Swedish tourist girls pulled up beside me giggling and asked me if I could show them how to get to the Hollywood sign.

and did you say its next to the pant's party and your invited? :D

I often see job postings looking for ROCKSTAR designers.

What does this mean exactly?

I guess if you have to ask, you're probably not one... right?

That being said, I'd love to hear from those who feel they meet the ROCKSTAR requirement. Is it about sheer skill? Do you have to understand every element of the Mograph module? I assume you have to be really good at expressions and xpresso. But, is it also about a crazy over-the-top attitude? Is it about tattoos? Is it about drugs and chicks? All of the above and more?

Those ads are such an immediate turn off for me, personally and professionally. Ads like that immediately make me think that the company posting may be a bunch of douche bags.

I've always disliked that term as a means to convey that someone is a good designer.

Edited by tvp