Sign in to follow this  
levante

CS5 interface and MP glitches

So i finally tried out After Effects CS5 the other day and the first thing i've got is trouble (who would have guessed?).

First off all, when i activate the "render multiple frames" setting, the interface brightness instantly sets itself to zero (strange but not crucial).

Then when i try to do a RAM preview with MP enabled, i either get the message "not enough RAM - MP disabled" or the background processes do start, but in the activity monitor only the main App seems to render.

I've already re-installed the whole CS5 Production suite (and CS4 as well) without any changes.

Is anybody else having similar troubles?

I'm on a Mac 8 core, 14 Gigs of RAM, MP prefs are set to use 4 cores (tried 3 and 2 as well though), ATI Radeon HD 4870 - OpenGL is disabled, OSX 10.6.4

Project i'm working on was created in CS4 (also tried to import the project instead of opening it but it didn't change).

Edited by levante

First off all, when i activate the "render multiple frames" setting, the interface brightness instantly sets itself to zero (strange but not crucial).

I've not heard of that happening before. Please file a bug report.

Then when i try to do a RAM preview with MP enabled, i either get the message "not enough RAM - MP disabled" or the background processes do start, but in the activity monitor only the main App seems to render.

I've already re-installed the whole CS5 Production suite (and CS4 as well) without any changes.

Is anybody else having similar troubles?

I'm on a Mac 8 core, 14 Gigs of RAM, MP prefs are set to use 4 cores (tried 3 and 2 as well though), ATI Radeon HD 4870 - OpenGL is disabled, OSX 10.6.4

Project i'm working on was created in CS4 (also tried to import the project instead of opening it but it didn't change).

Start with a simple project and composition for the purpose of troubleshooting. My simple composition for troubleshooting this kind of thing is a single HD-sized solid with Fractal Noise animating. Try something like that and see if you get the same behavior regarding Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing.

There are case in which Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing is temporarily turned off. See this page.

You didn't say what your allocation per background CPU is. If that's too low for the frame sizes that you're working with, then you'll get the message that you mentioned.

My recommendations for memory and processor settings are gathered here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

Edited by Todd Kopriva

thanks Todd,

i tried to allocate 1, 1.5 and 2 Gigs per core. Once the "failed to render multiple frames..." error came up, i wasn't able to change the settings though. Instead the setting was stuck at zero Gig (thats when i thougt something might be wrong with my installation and went for a re-install).

Project is 1024 x 576 (old school - i know :)

I'm going to try a simple test project tomorrow, as you sugested.

Guest Sao_Bento

You aren't running 10.6.4 are you? I know there are some outstanding issues with CS5 apps and graphics cards (of course it's supposed to be Apple's problem to fix).

You aren't running 10.6.4 are you? I know there are some outstanding issues with CS5 apps and graphics cards (of course it's supposed to be Apple's problem to fix).

Indeed i'm running 10.6.4 - so what does that mean?

Indeed i'm running 10.6.4 - so what does that mean?

The Mac OSX 10.6.4 issues that I know of relate to NVIDIA drivers and any software that uses the GPU. It's not jsut Adobe applications. See this page on The Unofficial Apple Weblog about problems with Steam from Valve:

http://i.tuaw.com/2010/06/21/steam-doesnt-play-well-with-10-6-4/

I just did a few tests and everything seems to run just fine, as long as i don't use any incompatible effect. As soon as i try to render anything including an unsuported plug-in, the trouble starts. Even after deleting the effect from my test setup, MP rendering continues to not work and as soon as i change the MP settings the interface brightness goes rampant again.

Only thing that helps is to restart AE and not use any third party plugs at all. Great!

Todd: do you know if there is already a .0.1 release of After Effects on the way (correct question might be: are you allowed to tell us)? I'd love to use CS5 because it's supposed to be the end of the dreaded image buffer error but i'd also like to use more than one core for previewing / rendering...

I just did a few tests and everything seems to run just fine, as long as i don't use any incompatible effect. As soon as i try to render anything including an unsuported plug-in, the trouble starts. Even after deleting the effect from my test setup, MP rendering continues to not work and as soon as i change the MP settings the interface brightness goes rampant again.

Only thing that helps is to restart AE and not use any third party plugs at all. Great!

Your first paragraph made it sound like you were referring to effects that didn't work with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. Your second paragraph refers to third-party effects. This is confusing, since these aren't connected.

When you file a bug report, please be specific about which effects are causing this problem.

Todd: do you know if there is already a .0.1 release of After Effects on the way (correct question might be: are you allowed to tell us)? I'd love to use CS5 because it's supposed to be the end of the dreaded image buffer error but i'd also like to use more than one core for previewing / rendering...

Yes, there is a bug-fix update in the works. There's at least one bug that we've publicly stated is being worked on for that update (regarding AIFF audio files and scrambled playback).

Edited by Todd Kopriva

I was asked on this thread when an update would be out. The answer is "now".

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update is available:

http://bit.ly/9ex5Cf

If you have any problems with the update, or if you have bugs to report after you've installed the update, please let us know through the usual channels:

http://bit.ly/93d6NF