Sign in to follow this  
Neonski

Object hanigin form a rope.

Hi guys,

To skip the excuse how stupid this question is I need to find how to make an object hang from a spline with dynamics. The only tutorial is on c4d caffe an they have a registration policy like you are applying for the CIA. (never trying to register on that page again)

Can u help. Please.

I need just s simple object to sway slowly on a string. Thats it. Cant seem to make it work.

TNX

he tnx..

But I want it to be a rope/thread. This is a different technique, witch would be to hard on my scene.

If you dont know how FAKE IT... TNX peeps i figured it out.!

Fake solution:

1. Make object

2. Make string (its tense when something is hanging form it so you dont need dynamics)

3. Move anchor point to the top end of the string.

4. Parent object to string

5. Put Vibrate on string on H and P...

PRESTO! A dangling thingy.

Edited by Neonski

You mean like spell out your name correctly, supply a valid email address

and wait a short while for approval?

The owner, 3DKiwi, is one of the most devoted in the Cinema community

doing his outmost running his site (donation driven) with tons of newbee(*)

and common(*) questions all in one place.

If that's not working for you,

[JOKE]

head over at gorillas place, make a remark

about his hairdo and he'll steal something out there and make a

shiny sphere dangle in HDRI in a sec.

[/JOKE]

(*) Questions from the "do not ever ask yet again" list, i.e. :

- How to attache an object to a spline

- How to attache an object to a deformed spline

- Can I use a picture series as animated material?

- Why is my .aec file not working?

- I'm using Vray, why's my renders black?

- I checked -everything- , promise, why isn't this f***ing working?

- Funny things happen with DOF….

- When is Maxon ever going to fix xxxx…..

- ..to be continued at any time…..

Cheers

Lennart

DISCLAIMER, this reply is written after a week of tropical heat

never heard of in ages here in Scandinavia, my brain is dripping

out of my ears……

In OP's defense, I've yet to hear of another forum that bans gmail addresses on site. Rather, that has put a new rule in place since October last year to ban gmail addresses without an email update.

The site is golden, but that is strict, and I would have preferred an email stating I would need to reregister. It's his well-built sandbox though, so he can have his rules, and good on him if it limits spam.

(He's quick on response time too, so he's got that going :) )

Edited by planetfour

The owner, 3DKiwi, is one of the most devoted in the Cinema community

doing his outmost running his site (donation driven) with tons of newbee(*)

and common(*) questions all in one place.

If that's not working for you,

[JOKE]

head over at gorillas place, make a remark

about his hairdo and he'll steal something out there and make a

shiny sphere dangle in HDRI in a sec.

[/JOKE]

(*) Questions from the "do not ever ask yet again" list, i.e. :

- How to attache an object to a spline

- How to attache an object to a deformed spline

- Can I use a picture series as animated material?

- Why is my .aec file not working?

- I'm using Vray, why's my renders black?

- I checked -everything- , promise, why isn't this f***ing working?

- Funny things happen with DOF….

- When is Maxon ever going to fix xxxx…..

- ..to be continued at any time…..

Cheers

Lennart

DISCLAIMER, this reply is written after a week of tropical heat

never heard of in ages here in Scandinavia, my brain is dripping

out of my ears……

Wow. This post was like gospel. Every sentence more true then the one proceeding it.

BTW: You notice how there are a lot less AE questions now? Is C4D (or 3d) the current sex du jour, or is after effects like photoshop now and everyone just figured it out?

c

Yeah i've been hearing c4d cafe have been introducing some pretty strict rules, but i think that's coz of all the spam they where getting.

I've been with em for ages now, and it's a great community. So i'd really reccomend figuring out the registration process.

BTW: You notice how there are a lot less AE questions now? Is C4D (or 3d) the current sex du jour, or is after effects like photoshop now and everyone just figured it out?

c

I was just thinking about this myself, seems odd.

I was just thinking about this myself, seems odd.

I think the general mass of newbs, and professionals alike, are hanging off the Gorilla's every word. And he hasn't been doing a lot with AE on his site as of late but putting out really good C4D eye-candy tutorials.

Reel Roulette used to have a big portion of reels with his tutorials in them. Not so much lately most likely because of the influx of professionals but there's still a good amount.

I think the general mass of newbs, and professionals alike, are hanging off the Gorilla's every word. And he hasn't been doing a lot with AE on his site as of late but putting out really good C4D eye-candy tutorials.

Reel Roulette used to have a big portion of reels with his tutorials in them. Not so much lately most likely because of the influx of professionals but there's still a good amount.

So you're saying that Greyscale Gorilla is the barometer for what software programs get talked about it in the professional motion design community?

I highly doubt there are any professionals “hanging off the Gorilla's every word”. No doubt he's a good resource, but that's a little much right there.

So you're saying that Greyscale Gorilla is the barometer for what software programs get talked about it in the professional motion design community?

I highly doubt there are any professionals "hanging off the Gorilla's every word". No doubt he's a good resource, but that's a little much right there.

well i meant that more for the newb. i'm sure no professionals would need to be hanging off the Gorilla. that'd be climbing up the wrong branch. swinging on the wrong banana tree of knowledge. i know gorillas don't climb.

and i was also being slightly sarcastic as i'm assuming neonski's a professional, he asked a C4D question, and the first response was a GSG tutorial. a barometer no. a good resource yes. that's not to say that he isn't ushering in a whole new generation of "professionals" who would still be in the shadows had he not graced the public with his material. i see his influence in reels, i see his name all over sites like this, and reelroulette is gaining momentum among my peers, even those working at big name studios who don't need help finding work.

in my opinion, GSG is the best thing to happen to the common motion guy (maybe not for uber-pros like yourself) in a while. sure there've been others before him (kiwi, clapham, motionworks, etc.), but i don't think any of them have had a viewership like his.

I am starting to think my site(base80.com) has the wrong philosophy about teaching.

The purpose of most of my tutorials is to help people figure out the software and find solutions to their problems.

Although my site is very popular, it seems people want (video) tutorials that are much more pre-mashed and often about one specific example.

Imho these specific example-based tutorials don't teach you as much as the more general problem-solving tutorials I prefer.

But I am letting my facial hair grow... B)

I am starting to think my site(base80.com) has the wrong philosophy about teaching.

I know your post had a big pinch irony, or I hope so. Base 80 has taught me more useful tricks with xpresso and intricate bits of cinema than anywhere else but there's not a chance in hell you could watch someone's reel and say 'Base 80 tut' like you can with GSG or VC. However when you start out there's room for copying stuff to learn the ropes (excuse the pun), I learned a hell of a lot from creative cow and andrew kramer when I started a while back but didn't seem to have a glut of motion graphics focused C4D stuff to learn from. As a result it took a while but I got here the right way and know my way around the tools properly and now feel much more comfortable in cinema than after effects for pure content creation.

This tutorial stuff (or the discussions about them) isn't going away, nor would I want it to because if a studio can't tell a reel full of tutorials from good design work then its not likely worth working for anyway so the pesky kids can steal those jobs all they want.

Do keep that up though, I find any amount of beard does help to convince many people that you are infact jesus, or atleast a badass ;)

The purpose of most of my tutorials is to help people figure out the software and find solutions to their problems.

Although my site is very popular, it seems people want (video) tutorials that are much more pre-mashed and often about one specific example.

Imho these specific example-based tutorials don't teach you as much as the more general problem-solving tutorials I prefer.

i'm sure i speak for the general board, but base80 has been really helpful and as good a resource as GSG, if not more so. we all owe what we know to people and sites like yours. GSG has a few more bells and whistles, and mr. Gorilla is a very charismatic personality, which is a good reason he has such a broad viewership. that aside, those looking for more in depth, more focused answers, look to sites like yours.

base80 is a common household name to guys who've been in the game for a while i'm sure.

Well, froj there was some irony in my post, nevertheless it seems a lot of people want very concrete tutorials they can simply execute.

Usually I prefer to give general directions and some hints that enable people to teach themselves to solve their own creative ideas.

I have no problem at all with GSG's tutorials but I have a problem with MotionGraphics becoming more of the same everywhere.

That is in part the direct result of the great tools we all get, they are all the same for everybody too.

So I'll continue to give tips and tricks to problems you can't imagine unless they suddenly occur.

Oh and btw I am not a motion graphic designer, I am only doing the rigging part for other studios. (I've never made a reel or something)

Well, froj there was some irony in my post, nevertheless it seems a lot of people want very concrete tutorials they can simply execute.

Usually I prefer to give general directions and some hints that enable people to teach themselves to solve their own creative ideas.

I have no problem at all with GSG's tutorials but I have a problem with MotionGraphics becoming more of the same everywhere.

That is in part the direct result of the great tools we all get, they are all the same for everybody too.

So I'll continue to give tips and tricks to problems you can't imagine unless they suddenly occur.

Oh and btw I am not a motion graphic designer, I am only doing the rigging part for other studios. (I've never made a reel or something)

Base, your blog has challenged me to problem solve, ideate, and experiment. The results haven't always been sexy but they have always been useful. Thanks for your generosity.

I said it before back when the topic at hand was VC, and it's twice as true now that its GSG. - A "demo reel" is a demonstration of visual and technical problem solving skills and creative talent. How in the world can you "demonstrate" your ability to excel in those areas if you are presenting the solutions of someone else?

In a bizarre turn, often the tutorials showing the knowledge earned are now reverse engineered step - by - steps of some other artist or studios development.

Andrew Kramer and GSG have worked their butts off building established brands and platforms. They really earned their followings. And I think both do a great job of inspiring the kids that check out their sites to push themselves (5 second projects, make your own action movie, etc). But do project based and "rip-off" tutorials (tuts+ network, et al) help everyone learn? - or is it really watering down the industry because the perceived value of video and motion graphic design goes down? No one really knows.

c

One personal anecdote: Back when I was in school, we submitted our work to a spring show awards (I instruct at the same university I attended, and this is still the case). I remember the fiery intensity and jealousy I felt when a video got recognized that was completely derivative of another work when my less polished and more conceptually difficult video work got passed over. I was frustrated because I really had to earn my video- I was trying to figure out the techniques for my concept, while the other artist had a template of something polished to follow, so the art direction was done and proven. I seethed that I would never use simple drag and drop tools or shortcuts to make work.

I was shocked when I entered the real working world that the tropes and tutorials I would supposedly never want to have my name attached to became essential for client work. This is because deadlines are harsh, and it's really easy to drop a ton of energy and time into a concept or design to only have the client dismiss it. So, do apply "shine". Do have glowy HDRI balls with dynamics. You absolutely have to "rip-off" by nature of the job and task at hand. Your clients and studios posses neither infinite time or infinite money and they are very uninterested in you working under the assumption that they do.

Finding the balance of utilizing known techniques that can be quantified and billed hourly for and investing in the time to find innovation and personal voice is a balance we all seek to achieve in every stage of our work as commercial artists. Even if our goals are modest ones.

Edited by Colin@movecraft

Here we go again. Design politics. Try to evolve like everybody else. Design is the most sifting field you can work in. Today, everybody has a computer, everybody can try to make a carrer out of motion, web whatever. The bad thing is that there is to many of us. The good thing is that with the internet motion graphics are no longer limited to tv. There is a need for them like never before. So you wont go hungry for lack of work anytime soon.

Just, work, explore, do the "hard shit" like Nick says and love your job.

Personally grayscalegorilla changed how I use Cinema 4d, and I am really grateful for a site like it.

Edited by Neonski