Sign in to follow this  
Guest igorschmigor

Iran is next

Guest igorschmigor

It's funny, already during the iraq war experts speculated that Bush would attack iran next, they just didn't know what excuse he'd come up with.

So now Bush claims that iran has some secret plans for building nuclear weapons. We all know what comes next: Bush will give them the option to prove that they don't, force them to disarm, say that the Iran government is lying and trying to fool people, he'll attack iran once he's sure that they really did disarm and are totally defenseless, find no evidence of nuclear weapons, help american companies make lots of profit in iran, and in the end he will say "it was worth it". All americans will have been brainwashed by american media by then (again) and applaud.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!! Somebody stop that guy (No, i'm not suggesting to assassinate him. Just book him a looooong holiday on some remote island, please).

Guest yamirb

I don't think USA would ever attack Iran. Its not a sitting duck like Iraq. I don't think most of the bush supporters would support him for that. War in Iran is impossible.

Guest pixelthief
All americans will have been brainwashed by american media by then (again) and applaud.

Don't forget about the other 48% of us.

I'm already pondering leaving my country because of this insanity. Not to mention the fact that the return of the draft may well be just around the corner:

Despite statements to the contrary, quiet preparations for the return of the draft have been under way for some time. The Selective Service System's Annual Performance Plan for Fiscal Year 2004 -- despite a ton of obfuscatory jargon, acronyms, and bureaucrat-speak -- can't quite manage to bury all of its bombshells.

The 2004 plan commits the SSS to report to the president on March 31st, 2005, that the system is ready for activation with 75 days. If they manage the task, then the first lottery could happen as early as June 15th, 2005.

http://www.alternet.org/story/18225

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/111304I.shtml

Guest rockaway

I read that same quoted article (haven't checked out the links) for the past two years, it seems as if they copy and paste newer/upcoming dates...I'm almost certain that same article had the same March/June dates last year, quoting that it would be reinstated in June of 2004.

Regarless, I've heard this story before and I don't see anything happening. But with Iran on the horizon, who knows.

Out of the country might be the only way to escape it, either that or take some hammers to your own kneecaps. Or do like the VP did, get some random knocked up and pump out a couple kids...or start a company...or go back to school...

Guest BillD222

I for one am for the draft.

Not because I want to goto war or because I am sadistic. But, I do firmly beleive that when the populace actually has to get involved in a deadly war, then they will think a lot more carefully before shipping off their sons, brothers, neighbors or themselves to some fucked up, unnecessary war. They will have have to put down the x-box controllers, turn off American-Idol and actually think about what is going on in the world and with our government.

I think if there was a draft, Iraq would never have happened. Look at how split down the middle the country is now without a draft. A draft would awaken people from their media induced coma and put the government back in check.

People seem to forget that it is the government that is supposed to work for the will of the people, not the people working for the will of the government.

blah blah... preach preach... bitch bitch...okay I'm done.

Guest renlogik

the draft would probably caused the other 50% to sign up to prove their loyalty to bush. unfortunatly, most people don't care WHO they are fighting against as long as they are made to look like enough of a villain.

that's my 2 cents....

Guest pixelthief

I think if there was a draft, Iraq would never have happened.  Look at how split down the middle the country is now without a draft.  A draft would awaken people from their media induced coma and put the government back in check.

I hope you're right, but look at the growing list of appalling atrocities that have occured with virtually no backlash. Two stolen elections in a row and an illegal war waged on false pretexts and I'm still waiting...

If the draft is a necessary prerequisite to revolution, then I say bring it on.

Guest Sao_Bento

On the Barbara Wa Wa interview, when asked if there was going to be any accountability regarding the current situation in Iraq, He said that his re-election was the accountability (implying that he believes his re-election indicates that the american people are 100% behind whatever he wants to do).

Guest renlogik

"power corrupts and absolute power currupts asolutely"

-Lord Acton-

he's not crazy... he's powerfull there apparently is a difference.

Guest parallax

Bush will never launch an attack on Iran (and if he does, he is the most insane madman to have lived in the last century), and here's why:

-Iran's population is almost triple that of Iraq.

-Iran is mountainous and inhabitable, not a mainly flat desert as Iraq.

-Iran has a well oiled military aparatus, and almost 4 times the spending.

-Iran's population is 90% Shia, basically very conservative muslims. I doubt they are going to put the kettle on and wait for their new liberators to arrive.

Furthermore, Iran will never use a nuke against the US or one of their allies. Apart from the fact that Iranian Nukes would probably not even be able to reach the atlantic, it would be total suicide.

Nukes are overrated. Countries are only after them for their own power needs, a way of negotiation if you will, and maybe the protection of their sovereignty.

Oh, and finally, i don't think we need a 3rd world war just yet.

Reinstating the draft seems like a totally real possibility though.

Guest pixelthief

From the rumblings I've had the misfortune of hearing, an attack on Iran would be totally different in approach than the Iraq invasion.

If Bush attacks Iran, it will primarily be more of a CIA type operation than a military one. I'm sure the military will be involved, but not as an occupying force. Although I'm sure they'll drop plenty of bombs.

Instead, I think that they'll try to weaken the government in Tehran by attacking the infastructure, weapons sites, nuclear sites, etc...

As we've seen from the Iraq debacle, our bombs are anything but "smart". With Iraqi civilian casualties at an estimated 100,000 and counting, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the repercussions of war with Iran, a country with three times the civilian population. Many in the government agree that picking a fight with Iran would be disastrous, hence the leaking of the war plans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4180087.stm

Personally, I believe our only hope here is to cripple the Bush administration with an impeachment. It's the only way to put a leash on this puppy. Even if unsuccessful, it would effectively paralyze bushco for their second term. With the election past, many on the left are beginning to work this angle. The list of impeachable offenses grows longer with each passing moment...

I'd sleep a lot better these days if I hadn't read 1984 in grade school.

Guest MBX

i wonder how & how long bush's & co's politics can last by all the massive warfare & material costs. usa has more debts than all thirdworld countries combined...

i wonder where this money comes from and what happens with all the debts on this planet...

Guest parallax

As long as the US Dollar is the defacto currency in oil trade, the US need not worry. In fact, the US $$ might just be really worth only a quarter of todays value. It was one of the main reasons for Saddam's removal, albeit a hidden one. Saddam was contemplating a switch to Euro, wich would be a catastrophy for the US economy, as 56% of oil exports are for US domestic usage.

If OPEC would follow, it would be the end of the US, say hello IMF.

Ironically enough, it would also plunge the world into a global recession, as foreign investments would be worth fuck-all, and all markets are connected.

The system needs a serious overhaul, lots of top economics have already agreed on that topic.

Guest MBX

there would be no problem or much less on this planet if economy was balanced out for all. money is wasted, wasted & wasted... and it's a sad fact that 5 or less % of this planet has control over economy.

it's also a sad fact that greed & the hunger for power drives these megalomaniacs. those are the true satanists. destruction over creation. they rather fear the people to control & fool them than to inspire to something positive and creative for humankinds future.

and i hope before "1984" comes true in all it's glory that the sheeps wake up and we finally kill the all seeing eye.

Guest govinda

We're in a dreamworld of meat. Parallax and yamirb have it right. Iran is an impossible task. I think the invasion talk is for one thing to deter Iran from meddling in Iraq once the troops jet off back to Fort Benning. As if words will deter their interest in an oil-rich fellow Shi'a land with the holiest Shi'a site, Najaf, and holiest Shi'a personage, Sistani; and for another to keep his nutjob base happy. A vocal faction of wingnuts think Saddam's WMD got tucked away in Syria, so there's pressure to go there also. Just to prove it wasn't all a big lie.

Beginning in June of '05, we should officially rename Iraq 'Persia West,' in recognition of the situation in every part of Iraq further than 50 yards from a US field office. You could see this situation coming a mile off. We'll be stirring stuff up covertly in the meantime, funding and energizing the Iranian opposition.

But the frightening thing is that you can put nothing past this dumbfuck. 'Accountability' as Sao said is of no concern when he's proven that the public will buy anything as long as he hugs firemen, uses crypto Christian phrases and keeps pounding down that patriot card. He might go for it out of sheer boredom once the Social Security push is over. What major 'visionary' acts are on the agenda otherwise? What pooches are left to screw? He's a guy who needs to be doing the grand thing, remolding this, reshaping that. His idle hands are the devil's playtoys. Maybe someone will give him a busy box to work off the energy without doing any more epically stupid things.