Sign in to follow this  
Austin

2010 Motion Graphics Reel

Hello!

Would love feedback on my motion graphics reel: http://vimeo.com/9904574

I am fresh out of graduate school, doing freelance work while looking around for something more stable.

Would love feedback on the reel, particularly if there are gaps that I may need to fill, or of any particularly weak spots. Be honest, I can take it :)

More found at: http://austinlordmedia.com/

Thanks!

Hi Austin,

I just took a look at your reel...

My overall takeaway is that you have a good understanding of the technical aspects of motion design...In other words things like camera tracking, compositing, 3D Animation, etc..

I think one thing that is really hurting you though is your design aesthetic. By that I mean your work looks rather poorly designed (In terms of typography, Layout, Color, etc.).

In large studios sometimes different people work on design than do the animation, maybe you could look to some graphic designers you know as a means of finding better source material with which to work.

In the mean time, spend some time and energy learning about composition, color, type and looking at great design, architecture, photography, etc.. as a means to raise your 'taste level'.

Best of luck!

James Kirkman

Thank you for the critique. These are comments I wish I had been hearing much more during school - I think I 'got away' with too much.

This may not be the place, but do you have any suggestions on literature/websites/other resources I should get my hands on to improve these areas?

Thanks again.

-Austin

You should built out your logo/intro animation. make it more crisp, cleaner or whatever. Get rid of all of the videocopilot stuff like the floral stuff from the "evolution" dvd (if this is not the case...at least it looks like it and thats the same isnt it) or the animated glowing light stroke. otherwise people would notice it and that gives them a bad impress of u. Think u have enough technical skills so stop messing around crank up ur design stuff (i know its hard). Best way to do it is replicating VERY COOL stuff BUT make it UR way that nobody would notice the original idea behind it. peace

You should built out your logo/intro animation. make it more crisp, cleaner or whatever. Get rid of all of the videocopilot stuff like the floral stuff from the "evolution" dvd (if this is not the case...at least it looks like it and thats the same isnt it) or the animated glowing light stroke. otherwise people would notice it and that gives them a bad impress of u. Think u have enough technical skills so stop messing around crank up ur design stuff (i know its hard). Best way to do it is replicating VERY COOL stuff BUT make it UR way that nobody would notice the original idea behind it. peace

Thank you for the response!

I actually haven't seen the videocopilot dvd you mentioned, but I do want to avoid work that looks like it's straight from a tutorial. I know the glowing light stroke effect you're referring to, but I'm not sure which 'floral stuff' you're talking about. Do you mean the floral stuff in the intro animation?

Thanks again for taking the time. Everyone's critiques have been very helpful.

YES I mean the floral stuff in tha intro. I just think there is WAAAAAYYYYY to much floral stuff out there and u know why? cuz its easy to make :D.

just get rid of it OR as I said before make it different. do it in 3d or something but make it different cuz everyone is using it...what means it is a waste of space B)