Sign in to follow this  
Atom

C4D Copy/Paste Texture Between Material Channels?

Hi All,

I can not figure out how to copy and paste a texture between material slots in Cinema 4D.

Say I have a gradient on the color channel. I want to use that same gradient in the BUMP channel.

How do I copy from one channel to another?

Also, is there a way to have texture instances in Cinema 4D just like 3DSMax has?

That way, if I edit the gradient in the BUMP channel, the COLOR channel is updated with the same exact parameters?

Thanks!

BTW: I did notice that if I select a channel and right-click on it, I see a menu option called "Copy". I have tried this, but it never works. I select the Color channel and right-click, then choose Copy from the menu. Then I select the BUMP channel and right-click and choose Paste. Nothing happens?

Edited by Atom

I can not figure out how to copy and paste a texture between material slots in Cinema 4D.

You copy & paste the channel, like this:

copy_channel.jpg

Also, is there a way to have texture instances in Cinema 4D just like 3DSMax has?

That way, if I edit the gradient in the BUMP channel, the COLOR channel is updated with the same exact parameters?

Three ways: you can wire it up manually in xpresso (tedious), you can grab a copy of ReferenceShader, or you can shout at Maxon's suggestion page until they finally implement this obvious feature...

I've been burned by Reference Shader a couple times in production.

I was excited when it came out and I bought it right away (and reluctantly paid for the marginal upgrade in the second version).

There has been more than one occasion where the reference shader stops working and I've spent more time hunting down reference shader links than it would have taken to do it by hand in the first place. That's not even mentioning all the nonsense necessary with keeping multiple versions of files... ones with reference shaders and one with transformed reference shaders to share with others. Maxon needs to kill that plugin with a native replacement. I'm throwing in another request just cause I'm all riled up.

-m

I've been burned by Reference Shader a couple times in production.

I was excited when it came out and I bought it right away...

Yeah, I was always a bit wary of this one, it sounded fine in theory but I really think this sort of feature needs to be 'embedded' deeper than a plugin. Plus my experience of Blackstar products (Cinapsis) hasn't been great. I sent my feature request in again yesterday, just for old time's sake. It's been a while coming...

Lennart,

For some reason the file crashes my system ( "Your display driver has stopped responding" ) in windows vista 64-bit (on both 32- and 64-bit c4d).

not complaining or demanding support or anything.

just to let you know.

seems to work ok on other systems.

douwe