Sign in to follow this  
secretninja

Feathering one side of a solid in After Effects

Is there a way to delete a potion/side of a solid in After Effects and then apply a feather to that one side that was deleted? The deleted and feathered portion would be transparent. Something like if you would take a solid color in Photoshop use the marque tool and make a selection, then feather that selection. And then use the feather option to feather the deleted section and save as a PSD for transparency. I know I can create it in Photoshop and import it into AE.

Thanks

wouldnt you just mask off the area with no feather, and then add subtract masks as needed with some feather?

there isnt the sweet per vertex feathering like Nuke has, but you can easy add and tweak subtract/add/intersect masks in AE to get close to that

wouldnt you just mask off the area with no feather, and then add subtract masks as needed with some feather?

Kind of like layering different masks on top of each other to get one sided feathered and the others solid? If so, I didn't think of that...lol:)

You can always make a mask much larger than your layer, then deselect the constrain on the mask feather and just bump up the feather on the x. You just have to make sure that your mask shape is much wider than your layer tat you want to mask.

You can use the Linear Wipe effect for this. Steve Holmes used this technique heavily in a series of tutorials that he did, so I covered that in my write-up of the tutorial series. See toward the bottom of this page for some information and links.