Sign in to follow this  
Bard

The SSD advantage

Hard drives are still fine if you're doing a safe-RAID (ie RAID6, RAID10, etc).

I think SSDs are great for OS drives. That's about it for now.

These memory chips, especially high grade ones, are really expensive to make.

Edited by pix3l

If you make a living on your computer, or use it for a decent amount of time each day, you owe it to yourself to get an SSD for OS/applications. The little bit of premium you pay is completely worth it as of 2011 here.

This is telling: all of us were once on the fence about it. Now I'd venture to say that 95% of people who've installed and used an SSD will NEVER own a computer without one again.

Guest Sao_Bento

Yep, just bought a new MacBook Pro with a 512GB SSD, and it's lighting fast. Just ordered an SSD upgrade for my other machine as a result. Definitely the future. Definitely still very expensive.

If you make a living on your computer, or use it for a decent amount of time each day, you owe it to yourself to get an SSD for OS/applications. The little bit of premium you pay is completely worth it as of 2011 here.

This is telling: all of us were once on the fence about it. Now I'd venture to say that 95% of people who've installed and used an SSD will NEVER own a computer without one again.

Guest Sao_Bento

Just to follow through, I bought a 256GB SSD from Crucial for my MacBook Pro. Putting it in was ridiculously easy. Just popped it in, and then installed the OS from the discs that came with the machine.