Sign in to follow this  
hotbuttertrucker

New Mac Pros

Yeah I didn't mean to start that one again. Neither is unquestionably better that's clear. And really there's not much change in these new machines - we've nearly always had less-than-stellar GFX cards and a high-ish price point.

I'd be interested to hear any opinions about the Radeon HD 5770 and 5870, esp. for AE and C4D - and of the new cards in the i7 imac, the HD 5750 (although I don't think we know if it's the mobile or desktop version yet).

What machine/ GFX card do you use, Monkey?

Yeah, nothing earth shattering here, but I think incremental updates are what's in store in the pro market for the foreseeable future. I'm a bit surprised that there are no new I/O options (USB 3, Firewire 1600/3200, eSATA, 10GB Ethernet, Lightpeak, etc.). I am interested in the idea of 4 SSD drives; one for the system and the others striped in a RAID for project and footage files. I'm sure that will be expensive, but fast and quiet are two things that I'll pay for, within reason.

I am interested in the idea of 4 SSD drives; one for the system and the others striped in a RAID for project and footage files

Never thought of striping SSD's - it seems to work:

EVEREST_Disk_Benchmark_ICH10_RAID0.png

5x faster read than a WD Velociraptor. Neat! Not cheap!! Here's the full feature (from 2009 btw)

Edited by ChrisC

But for you to think I'm an idiot for a personal preference or that I'm "blowing Jobs"... man, what a dick thing to say.

If you think you're so much better than mac users then I will publicly challenge you to show me that your hardware choice makes you a better artist.

Ready when you are.

-m

Get 'em.. haha

It is pretty clear that the only reason people didn't switch to mac was simply because of the lack of Counter Strike. Now that the mac version has been released all the fighting can be over and we can all create great things and pwn noobs together on macs.

:)

You know what I think about PCs? I don't.

If it works for you, great. They aint my thing.

Absolutely right! This is a useless discussion (same as "wich 3D Software is better" by the way) - as long as a system/software/tool/car/bike/toaster/whatever works for you and doesn't slow you down, just use it and focus on your projects.

Just my two (euro) cents...

Edited by levante

Bald face lies.

The MAXON guys are almost all PC guys, but everybody they get to demo for them is a mac user (you can draw your own conclusions from that), so they bought that iMac for us. Autodesk had two iMacs right up front and I bet you I could give a list of others if I were actually looking for them. I'm deathly curious as to why PC people spend so much time hating on macs.

But for you to think I'm an idiot for a personal preference or that I'm "blowing Jobs"... man, what a dick thing to say.

If you think you're so much better than mac users then I will publicly challenge you to show me that your hardware choice makes you a better artist.

Ready when you are.

-m

What an unexpected angry response.. Go back and completely re-read the original post, and the question I was responding to. It may calm you down a bit.

I definitely did not mean to come across in a hateful manner - It was really aimed at kitkatz to ease his fear of crossing over. Not at all a mac vs PC thing... Just a "PCs are okay too" after seeing how pricey the new macs will be. Never called anyone an idiot, never said PCs are technically superior, or anything at all like that. Comon now.... thats old.

The end joke was a bit of a carry-over from the good ol' mac vs pc heated debates (anti "cult of mac"), and was maybe a bit inappropriately colorful, but jeez... Chill. I use both, since its what most studios run these days, but only spend my own dough on PCs, because I genuinely feel that Apple limits expandability / upgrades and feel a little locked into only the technologies that they endorse, and forces users to buy an entirely new system whenever they feel like forcing their user base to.

Like you, I don't care what peoples hardware choices are. If someone wants to drop 9-15 grand on a fully equipped Mac system that can be equivalently built for 3500-6000 going PC, more power to them. Price is the fundamental point I was driving there... I actually prefer the OS X environment, but not enough to abandon the third-party benefits of sticking with Windows, especially since W7.

Public challenge?? Everyone knows your the shiz and one of the top dogs in the game. No need to use / abuse that clout here. Its more about render speeds, etc to improve workflow, not artistry.

....resisting.... second.... fanboy joke... must resist..... to avoid.... further crying....

I don't hate on Macs but I occasionally hate on Apple. It's mostly because of the massive hypocrisy. They are innovators but they can take their 'holier-than-thou' attitude and shove it up their money-grubbing assholes.

precisely, and the attitude has carried over into the die-hard users.

Edited by AromaKat

I switch between the two platform every few years. I'm in a Mac cycle now and will probably stay for a while. I do a lot of work on my iMac, and send it to my MacPro for rendering (probably because I like the iMac screen so much... looking forward to the 27" LED).

Anyhow, I noticed the latest and greatest from BoxxTech and remember some of the things I loved about them when I was using their gear a few years ago. Premium prices, but real workhorses. BTW, they have new personal rendernodes that will work as a rendering solution for both PC and Mac, Definitely a handy addition to a C4D NetRender workflow. droooool....

-mike

Never thought of striping SSD's - it seems to work:

5x faster read than a WD Velociraptor. Neat! Not cheap!! Here's the full feature (from 2009 btw)

Repeatedly, it has been shown, the onlything limiting the speed of an SSD raid is 1) the physical connection to the mobo, and 2) the # of drives you want. When SSD's first "arrived" in a reasonable form, a website did a test over a few months trying everythin they could to get a peak speed, they gave up when they went through like 3 raid controlers and just couldn't spend more money on it.

A striped raid of smaller standard sata HDD's was always faster than 1, the r/w speeds of the collectio compensated for not only the disk speed, but also the controller cand/could equally effectively scan multiple drives worth of data as a single drive.

So take SSD where the only thing holding it back was connetion hardware at ths point the speeds are astoundingly fast.

Here's the article - Battleship Mtron

How's the SSD working out for you?

its nice 'n snappy. I threw the SSD in (as the system and programs drive) on a whim to see if SSD was noticably faster. I don't have a before/after to compare it to but boot times and program launch speeds are very speedy and snappy, even Illustrator launches quickly, which could be CS5, but CS3 was a pig back in the day!

its nice 'n snappy. I threw the SSD in (as the system and programs drive) on a whim to see if SSD was noticably faster. I don't have a before/after to compare it to but boot times and program launch speeds are very speedy and snappy, even Illustrator launches quickly, which could be CS5, but CS3 was a pig back in the day!

Thanks for the info. Good to hear. I've been waiting for SSDs to get cheap enough for years.

Why one must cancel the other from the start? I got a job done two weeks ago in Motion(got the shit done), and next week I was back to C4D.

Swift Flexibility. Is it worth, to lose a presumably gig, over a not having a mac or pc?

"I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba, I'll bring you something out of it." - John Lennon

Anyone complaining about either system can shove it.

Edited by hyp3

The only distinction between a Mac and a PC is that to have full support of Apple you need to buy apple hardware. A Hackintosh is for me the most perfect computer aside from taking the risk that you will be boning yourself at some point by running into an unsupported problem running OSX on "PC" hardware that isn't the PC that apple sells.

Outside of that they are both PCs. OSX is just another flavor to run on the intel hardware. If Apple would officially support OSX on other hardware I would jump on newegg and build an uber computer so quick...

For what it's worth I see quite a bit of Macs at Siggraph. I was happy Maxon gave us one this year to demo on so I didn't have to wire in my laptop. But I would expect in general terms to see NAB being Mac heavy and Siggraph to be PC heavy. Especially considering that a huge amount of Siggraph is geared towards the gaming industry.

If Apple would officially support OSX on other hardware I would jump on newegg and build an uber computer so quick...

Considering how badly that went for them last time, I bet the hatred of that concept is instilled in to the bones of all employees --past, present, and future.

Considering how badly that went for them last time, I bet the hatred of that concept is instilled in to the bones of all employees --past, present, and future.

Yeah, and last time it happened I didn't buy an Apple. Had a Radius 81/110. Great computer.

The Lennon quote is spot on. Since I'm most comfortable with a mac and I do just want to get on and work rather than geek out for the next 2 months I think I'll stick with them for now.

Seems like imac SSD self install is not much of an option. The i7 2.93ghz imac comes in at about 3K (pounds sterling) with 16GB Crucial RAM and the SSD and then I'd save a bit of cash selling my 30" Cinema Display, whilst the new 8 core MP would be almost another 1K on top of that assuming I self-install an SSD.

It's looking like imac + £1500 worth of something, or a base Octo Mac pro. Pricing of the 6 core will be interesting but my guess is it'll be higher than the 8, in line with the current pricing.

Bald face lies.

The MAXON guys are almost all PC guys, but everybody they get to demo for them is a mac user (you can draw your own conclusions from that), so they bought that iMac for us. Autodesk had two iMacs right up front and I bet you I could give a list of others if I were actually looking for them. I'm deathly curious as to why PC people spend so much time hating on macs.

Ready when you are.

-m

I did enjoy nick and you demo'ing windows for me though.

other than that I'm with CS and the likes...open up the OS and let people be hardware independent.

I'm against opening up OS X for wide distribution.

#1, it will be bloatware because it needs to have drivers for thousands of hardware.

#2, security holes.

#3, The whole point of owning a Mac is to have a system that is designed to fully work with the operating system and vice versa. There are no stones unturned.

I have no problem paying the Apple premium, though it pisses me off sometimes. Since I primarily use Apple products to make money, it's more of an investment and it will pay for itself in due time.

Honestly, using Windows for 13 years was fine. Then I gave OS X a try (on a full time basis) and I fell in love (sounds corny, I know).

But as noted before, you can do the same shit on both systems so it all depends on the person.

Don't care if I'm forced to use Windows again, I'll adapt, but for my own sake, I'm sticking to Macs as much as I can.

No striped SSD, 12 core, RAM or OS will ever save you the .01 % of time saving that will be eaten up between now and the end of your career compared to what gets burned in one job while waiting for clients/agencies in committee to decide if they want: the product on red or not, if they want the logo bigger, if we should roto out the background, if the music is "punchy" enough, or while they weigh the option of needing merely an egregious number of particles as opposed to a truly stupefying amount.

c

EDIT: Huh. I sound grouchy/jaded.

Just so weird to debate the merits of getting .05% more efficient when the freaking OS never seems the bottleneck on most jobs. I've noticed all the platforms seem to crash when you throw a server into the mix. Especially when you are rendering. over the weekend. for monday review.

Edited by Colin@movecraft

This went south fast but not to deter in the topic about the new Mac Pro am I bummed no big expansion options yes.

But consider a 12 core with dual Nivida Quadro 4000(fermi) which IS coming to mac in October.

Check the fxguidetv 2nd half with Nividia talking about it. -http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv.html

Ill take a Fermi card and 12 cores for now.

The reason you have not seen USB 3 on Mac or others is because Intel is the one holding out.

They are vested in Light Peak to win out as would I one bus to power mutiple devices with sustained speed and power .

I can wait a bit longer for a revamped Mac Pro and the other side of me would hate to admit that Apple may one day be done with desktop computing, pro apps.

The ship is already going that way look at every consumer and mobile move Apple and other PC makers are doing.

@Hyp3

Good points

@Filmbot Jim

I agree. I want to build a station just for doing color correction with the new DaVinci for Mac and some transcoding dailies things. Which means I need the host Graphic card, a Red Rocket card, a Black Magic card for output, an eSata card for moving data between shoot drives + the CUDA card required by DaVinci that is in addition to the host GPU card. Not enough slots so I get to see what I want to compromise. Technically Macs have eSata built into the motherboard even though they aren't officially supported. I may try and use those instead of the eSata card. But still I walk through the computer store and see PC cases with 8 card slots and it makes me frustrated I can't use them without "jailbreaking" a Mac.

simple issue came up recently. Does anyone know a free image sequence player for mac? I can't find one.

small things like that is why i stick with win.

Try DJV, it's a free cross-platform image-sequence viewer with just about every feature you could ever imagine.