Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

Illustrator Text-->Photoshop Text-->AE Convert to Editable Text

Hey everyone,

I've recently been setting type in Illustrator (CS4) that I would like to bring into After Effects (CS4) and still edit if I need to. I read a post somewhere where someone gave the cool idea of exporting the illustrator file to a .psd and then bringing it into AE to convert to editable text. It sounded like a great idea until I tried it. It converts, sure, but for some reason the anchor points (showing 0,0) are shifted thousands of pixels to the top left. So the text is centered in the screen, but the position reads -8021,-8122. It does this even if I open the .psd in photoshop and save it again. I'm guessing there must be some export setting that uses some sort of screwy artboard setting in illustrator? Is this something that can be fixed, or should I just give up and do my type in photoshop?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jayfaker

After you covert it in AE and the ancor point gets all screwed up, are you not able to move it where you want it? If you can't, then parent it to a null object with the anchor point where you want it and animate using the null.

Open the rulers in Illustrator, set the 0.0 points (by hitting Show Rulers & dragging the crosshair from the rulers' top-left corner, if you didn't know) to where you want the anchor point to be. This centre point will be remembered when you import the same .ai into Photoshop, AE or even C4D.