Sign in to follow this  
magictea

Thinking particles and modynamics

I've set up a scene using mograph dynamics and i wanted to continuously spawn the clones using a particle system rather than using a cloner or some such. So I used a thinking particle multishape emitter with some fracture objects inside which worked great. However the preview playback drops right down pretty fast with all the dynamics objects and I can't find a way to cache the animation I've tried using a mograph cache tag on the fracture objects but it doesn't work (I think it just bakes the source object but none of the ones being spawned). Is there any way I can bake the dynamics out?

Scene Heirarchy:

MoDynamics.jpg

Anyone? I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this and I'm being dumb. Thinking particles are always my downfall :(

Many thanks.

Were you able to find a solution?

Also, have your tried the Point Cache under Character menu?

Were you able to find a solution?

Also, have your tried the Point Cache under Character menu?

Nope never could figure this out. I had thought the point cache could be the answer but after adding the tag everything is greyed out except store state and this doesn't change after i click on that to store the init state. I don't really have any experience of it though so maybe i'm doing something wrong.

TP/simple particles can NOT be cached.

and since you're creating new geometry continuously I do not think point caches or even baking PLA would work...as i don't think they can handle the introduction of new points once they have been started.

I don't even think you could use any of the current hacks for baking dynamics etc...as once again you are introducing new objects continuously into the scene.

and since you're creating new geometry continuously I do not think point caches or even baking PLA would work...as i don't think they can handle the introduction of new points once they have been started.

I don't even think you could use any of the current hacks for baking dynamics etc...as once again you are introducing new objects continuously into the scene.

Makes sense but what happens when it comes to rendering it through Net Render? Wouldn't the particle output vary between different render nodes/different CPU(s)?

How about Function / Bake Particles (All the way at the bottom).

Actually thats not strictly true, Tim Clapham did a script (was going to link it but can't find it as he's moved sites) using the mograph matrix object that allowed you to bake thinking particles using the mograh cache tag. It wouldn't work for this though as the particle global matrix position isn't related to the result of the dynamics.

Actually thats not strictly true, Tim Clapham did a script (was going to link it but can't find it as he's moved sites) using the mograph matrix object that allowed you to bake thinking particles using the mograh cache tag. It wouldn't work for this though as the particle global matrix position isn't related to the result of the dynamics.

so TP/simple particles still can not be cached...in that case he is caching mograph stuff...I do stand corrected on the current hacks thing if its out there.

This is (related to) the backdoor señor Clapham came up with :

What you would do is use a cloner (or cloners) in place of the TP particle geometry object and PShape nodes.

Set your cloner to object mode and drag your particle group into the cloner's "object" box.

You can now do anything you like with the Thinking Particles Dynamics in Xpresso and with (regular) Mograph / Modynamics.

you can then use Follow Animation to switch between particle dynamics and modynamics.

Then give your cloner a MoGraph Cache tag and cache it.

Once you do that you can delete the thinking particles setup completely. The particles will also render consistently accross NET.

example here

Now, although this is actually caching mograph and not thinking particles, it does allow you to get your particles cached.

hope you can adapt this to your needs.

douwe