Sign in to follow this  
m.feder

AE Script: Get Shit Done Palette

Inspired by the Lazy Layer Creator by Grundly I put a script together to speed up my workflow.

Its even more lazy cause it not only creates Layers it also adds effects to them ...

The script compresses a sequence of successiv steps of my workflow to one single click.

For example: If I want to add Particular to a Composition I usually Right-Click, New Solid, Right-Click,

Effects, Trapcode, Particular plus renaming the Solid to "Particular" if I feel tidy ...

With the "Get Shit Done" Palette I just select "Particular" from the "Trapcode" Dropdown list and all

is set up to go on ... I think you get the picture.

So here it is: Get-Shit-Done Palette (for CS4)

UPDATE: The Get-Shit-Done Palette is now hosted at aescripts.com

here's the new link: aescripts.com/get-sht-done

Get-Shit-Done_Palette-Screenshot.jpg

Here's what it does in detail:

Basic-Menu:

all pretty straight forward, create layers quick and easy

- Text

- Solid

- Light

- Adjustment Layer

- Camera

- Camera (AutoOrient off): Camera with Auto-Orient off, wich I use quiet a lot

- Null

- Slider Control: Expression Control Effect is added to the selected layer

- Project Setup: Creates the Standard folders I use in my Projects (PreComps, Material, Audio, Solids)

- Timecode: Puts Timecode in the lower right corner

Adjustment-Menu:

creates Adjustmentlayers and adds effects

- Color Correction adds Levels, Curves and Saturation

- Tritone

- Looks

- Fast Blur

- Depth of Field

- RSMB

- empty Adjustment Layer

Trapcode-Menu:

according to the selected effect a solid or an adjustment layer is created and

the effect applied to the layer.

Generate-Menu:

creates Solids with

- Fill

- Ramp

- 4-Color Gradient

- Checkerboard

- Grid

- Fractal Noise

- Solid (black)

- Solid (White)

- Set Composition Background to Black

- Set Composition Background to White

- Set Composition Background to Red

That's it. It's not very sophisticated its all about doing 1 step instead of 3 or 4. Have fun!

Edited by m.feder

Nice, I dig it. I was thinking of creating it further, but hey, I'm lazy - this is good.

Here's the original thread: http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=23354

Also an extra note, this thin window layout sucks with CS5, wish they didn't make that UI change.

rad!

how did you go about learning AE scripting?

These scripts are quite simple, if you look at the code, it's pretty intuitive. Plus referencing AE CS3 Scripting guide you can figure most things out.

Hey, Thanks for all the feedback!

how did you go about learning AE scripting?

I am a fan of reverse engineering, especially with this kind of scripts its easy to take a look and find out how

they work. This way you can find out a lot of stuff. (But don´t look too close at my script, I´m afraid its quiet a mess ...)

Another valuable ressource is the aftereffectscs3_scripting_guide.pdf its good to find out how to address the

different elements in aftereffects.

For stuff you can´t figure out on your own its worth checking out aenhancers.com and the

aftereffects expression forum at creative cow.

I hope that helps ...

Edited by m.feder

You should made a PG friendly version called "Get Stuff Done". You know, for kids. ;)

Kids shouldn't use AE at an early age.. Give them plastic ducks or something more appropriate :)

Feder, definitely hero of the day

Edited by stoiqa

Does it work for cs5?

I don't know yet cause I work with CS4. I will check it out when I upgrade to CS5. If there are any problems

I will try to fix em ...

For the kids maybe its cool to work with abbreviations like G.S.D. so its open to their imagination what the S. stands for.

Awesome! Thanks!

By chance, do you see any possibility of a way to right click a timeline tab and select a 'close all except this' function? I really want that functionality. I spend a lot of time opening other people's projects and closing down the 30 open tabs down there.

By chance, do you see any possibility of a way to right click a timeline tab and select a 'close all except this' function? I really want that functionality. I spend a lot of time opening other people's projects and closing down the 30 open tabs down there.

I'm going to guess no on that one, I don't think closing and opening panels are a function, but I could be wrong. But, you can right-click and choose Reveal Composition in Project, then press Cmd+Option+W to close all. You can then re-open the comp that you selected in the project window in the first step.

press Cmd+Option+W to close all

awesome. I can't believe I didn't even try that modifier combo. Excuse me while I go slam my head in the door.

(cntrl+shift on PC)

Edited by AromaKat

Is anyone else's drop down options not appearing after you resize the docked window?

*edit: It only occurs if you drop down, don't select anything and resize while the drop down list is displayed.

Edited by AromaKat

Is anyone else's drop down options not appearing after you resize the docked window?

*edit: It only occurs if you drop down, don't select anything and resize while the drop down list is displayed.

wow, that sounds weird! What system are you using and what aftereffects version?

Is there a slam the head in the door shortcut for mac too?