Sign in to follow this  
invertum

reel feedback

Hi-

I'm new to motion graphics in general, having seriously started only about a month or so ago... I've had one client project so far, and am now working on a music video and a commercial.

comments would be appreciated! i know i need to add music... working on that....

my reel: invertum.org

thanks,

bob

Edited by invertum

I would say to go with a standard format for your reel, 614x480 isn't 4:3 or 16:9. Also the beginning is kinda just a slideshow of that building. I would at least get some video renders of it with a moving camera and cut them together. A slideshow doesn't seem like the most exciting way to pull people in. Even if you faked it by panning the stills it would look better than it does now.

There is a crazy glitchy piece in there ~0:24 where I can't really tell whats going on, I would lose that all together. I also suggest to find some music before you go any further. Music really helps set the pacing for a reel and gives you points you can cut to.

Oh and make the link to your reel clickable, you have a much better chance of people seeing it when they can just click it, rather than having to copy/paste.

Edited by Albert Omoss

Albert-

Thanks for your comments, I agree with them. I want to add a moving camera to the building, and in order to do that I'm going to have to hide or delete some of its geometry, since the model is too complex for my computer to render.

Thanks again!

Edited by invertum

There's a good deal of ground to cover before you have a seriously marketable reel with only 1 month of experimentation under your belt. I agree with Albert's advice on this iteration of the reel. I'd also add that you probably don't need title cards for every shot in the reel. In fact you'd probably be able to cut something together more creatively without organizing it sequentially by shot. More generally I'd recommend spending your time learning and experimenting before getting too worried about putting a serious reel together. Creating new content, at this point, should definitely be your priority with regards to time and effort.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with eliminating the title cards, that occurred to me just a few hours ago. I'm not sure if it's clear, but with the exception of the shots of the model at the beginning (which I'm still going to fix) everything else has been or is for clients, and they fully approve of what I've created thus far.

I'm working on making some additional changes at this moment, and will update soon.

Thanks again.

Hi-

I'm new to motion graphics in general, having seriously started only about a month or so ago... I've had one client project so far, and am now working on a music video and a commercial.

comments would be appreciated! i know i need to add music... working on that....

my reel: invertum.org

thanks,

bob

Check this reel out: http://robbybranham.com/generalist.html

Focus on how he breaks down each show in an aesthetically pleasing way, having wipes of mesh within the final shot. Check out other demo reels, too.

Also, if for some reason you do need to place text in your reel, keep it within title safe areas. Not that it's gonna get cut off playing it here on the internet, it just looks better design-wise.

You have some nice models in there, I'd just like to see them all taken a few steps further.

A quick note: the part that Albert mentioned at approximately 24 seconds. This is the most complete version I have of a client music video that I'm still working on. It's deliberately supposed to be relatively jarring, based on their wishes. How would I best present the work I've done for this project thus far? Most other shots: the two interiors, the simple skull, and the cut screen of the rigged and rendered character are also part of this same video.

Thanks again for your comments!

Edited by invertum

I've just updated my reel based on some of the feedback I received. I'll make the other changes when I get the chance, which will be soon.

I've eliminated the cards, with the exception of the final one, added some music, and have an animated logo for myself at the beginning.

Let me know what you think.

invertum.org

Thanks again!

I've updated things again.

* Completed logo for a television commercial at the end of the reel. At the risk of asking an obvious question, should I have a clip of the actual commercial showing the logo in addition to the isolated logo animation?

* Improved end card with contact info within title safe area.

Here's my link: invertum.org

Thanks for any comments.

i dunno about the reel, it doesnt look like your a motion artist yet, but that's some hectic modelling! I might be able to get you to do some work based on that.

Cheers,

Aleksey

It's *huge* that even though you're still starting out you're already getting client work. That's actually a big selling point -- a lot of people come out of school with cool work but don't play well with others. I wouldn't add back in the title cards, but I would do a lower third that gives us some basic information about the project. For instance, that devil/music video project could be titled something like: "The Devil Inside" music video/The Band of Band People. Don't go overboard making anything fancy for your L3, just do it in a basic, clean typeface and add a tiny, tiny drop shadow or bar for visibility.

I'm also confused by the clip at ~:21. I definitely have some client work that is exactly what they wanted but doesn't really fit on my reel. (In fact, I'm making more of it today!) Either find a way to show off what you've done in a more clean way, or just show the models and animation. The models are really, really cool and you've rigged them well. That's all people need to see.

Again, I'd still lightly animate the buildings, even if it's too big a file to do a traditional turntable. They're really awesome and there are a lot of cool details in the photos, but I have a short attention span. Like, three seconds. It's sad but true... Also, are any of your renders connected with that shot of the set or building that you have in there? Maybe this is another thing that you need to point out with a lower third.

One of the things that you do a couple of times in your video that stuck out is that you let your animation "thud" into place. It's there in your logo and in the "I" logo at :42. The rule of thumb is that unless something is hitting a wall or you want the animation to pop or be kind of aggressive, be sure to ease things in and out. It's a minor detail, but it will help your reel look just a little more polished.

Very cool reel overall! I'm impressed that this is what you were able to do in a month of experimentation. Keep going and keep us updated as you change things...

Hi-

It's been a little while, but I've finally made at least one change. I've eliminated the more abstract clip from the music video I'm working on.

I intend to add some rotoscope work and some experiments with Smoke to the reel as well.

I've been pretty busy lately at a studio, so I'll add the changes when I can.

Thanks!