Sign in to follow this  
g-off

Building the perfect team

So, my name is Geoff Schultz and I am the solo motion graphic designer at a church in Charlotte - Elevation Church (www.elevationchurch.org)

Our church has a heavy HEAVY emphasis on the creative side of things. We have experienced extreme growth over the past 4 years and I am trying to build the vision for what my team will look like moving into the future.

We currently have a Creative Pastor, Project manager, 2 graphic designers, 1 web developer, 2 video producers/editors, and myself as the motion graphic designer.

I am looking for some insight from people who work at very successful studios into what their teams look like from a MGFX/VFX standpoint so I know who to hire as time goes on.

My main strength is in animation and a lot of the design direction comes from our graphic designer although I feel that I am capable of design direction when I need to.

All that being said, hope to get some solid advice from some experienced pro's.

If you're interested in seeing my "level" of work, check it out at www.g-off.com - might help in what you would advice as a next hire.

Think of the team size being 10 people.

Thank you in advance

Geoff Schultz

www.g-off.com

So, my name is Geoff Schultz and I am the solo motion graphic designer at a church in Charlotte - Elevation Church (www.elevationchurch.org)

Our church has a heavy HEAVY emphasis on the creative side of things. We have experienced extreme growth over the past 4 years and I am trying to build the vision for what my team will look like moving into the future.

We currently have a Creative Pastor, Project manager, 2 graphic designers, 1 web developer, 2 video producers/editors, and myself as the motion graphic designer.

I am looking for some insight from people who work at very successful studios into what their teams look like from a MGFX/VFX standpoint so I know who to hire as time goes on.

My main strength is in animation and a lot of the design direction comes from our graphic designer although I feel that I am capable of design direction when I need to.

All that being said, hope to get some solid advice from some experienced pro's.

If you're interested in seeing my "level" of work, check it out at www.g-off.com - might help in what you would advice as a next hire.

Think of the team size being 10 people.

Thank you in advance

Geoff Schultz

www.g-off.com

you're setting up a mograph "team" for a "church?" dude a lot of major studios max out at 10 staff. i wonder what church you're apart of (scientology?) to budget a team of 10 "pros."

and why is a church spending money on graphics? don't they have better stuff to spend on like the millions of hungry people on our streets or helping pay for our crusades in iraq?

* sorry for the bitching. had a rough week and i'm sure i'm not the only guy doing OT so be prepared to get flamed.

edit: i work at many very successful studios. in fact any studio still standing should be considered successful with what a typical payroll looks like but i work at some of the bigger ones (10-20 staff and big money projects).

usually you have a couple directors and their underlings. you guys have a thick bankroll and are privileged enough to have a creative pastor (i wish my studio had a creative pastor), who can double as principal as I assume he just sits around doing lines of coke. you should only stack up the talent that is necessary and never carry dead weight. you want 10 people for a church so you will definitely have dead weight but if you guys can afford it hey more power to you.

in all honesty it sounds ridiculous with what you're asking and i find it very laughable that a church is spending money on this shit. and in reality ONE person can do the shit i see on your church's website. some of the most successful ad campaigns had no more than 10 people involved so don't spoil yourself or dip your hands too deep in the offering basket.

can't you guys read some "samwelker" in what this dude is asking? i get reel submissions that start off the way he did "hey i'm an animator but i can direct" and those go straight into the trash bin. i know i'm being crass but he wanted input and there it is. i'm sure you're not an asshole g-off but i know a lot of "pros" that would laugh in your face if you asked them this. i was actually being nice in retrospect.

Edited by killkillakillyo

I'm kinda at a loss to describe where this chruch gets a budget for such a huge vfx team, but i do like their stuff.

The "Healer" thing is pretty cool.

Having grown up in Charlotte, I thought for sure you were referring to Calvary. Drove by that beast of a building all the time, wondering what went on in there. But.. I realize now its not your church.

3336136919_2568cf2144.jpg

Usually church reals are borderline comical but the reel is solid. I knew these new types of churches were getting big fast.. but wow, I had no idea. Is there TV programming or something, ie: a popular tv church?

I think its going to be hard for many of us to relate. A completely in-house operation (no clients), etc. There have been some guys that worked in churches that came through here in the past, but they have all seemed to be single-person operations. Everyone's needs are different in general anyway. Even without knowing the workload your looking at, I think a team of 10 would be insane considering your getting by fine now. Build a smaller team with a smarter pipeline. Staff up piece by piece.. not a spree of 10 animators unless you just increased operations 15 fold overnight. Is there a major development that has increased work this much, or is it just dreaming way into the future?

I would just focus on bringing in who you could actually really use right now, like a designer dedicated to the motion department rather than sharing available time with the print or web guys. I imagine in a church setting there is a huge risk of an obligation to hire anyone in the congregation that even remotely fits the criteria, and you want at least your initial few to be solid candidates with real talent, so I'd also try to grow quietly in the beginning. Each time a bottleneck appears, address it and staff up then. It needs to be organic and fit your 'business model'. Unless, perhaps your thing is to simply create as much content as possible for the sake of having content out there... which may very well be the case here. If so, its all dependent on your workflow. If you do a lot of 3d rendering, you may want a render wrangler to free up the artists, etc. Just figure out whats slowing you down and fill that position as needed.

i wonder what church you're apart of (scientology?) to budget a team of 10 "pros."

These groups have enormous congregations and major coin

** Just realized I hit 800 / Deity with this post. laugh.gif

Edited by AromaKat

Guest Sao_Bento

I kinda feel bad when someone attempts to be straight forward and ask for help and all they get are antagonistic or smart-ass responses. I don't see where there's anything the OP said that was disingenuous.

In terms of advice on hiring people, check out the 37signals blog or their book. I think they do a pretty good job of painting a realistic picture of what's involved.

I kinda feel bad when someone attempts to be straight forward and ask for help and all they get are antagonistic or smart-ass responses. I don't see where there's anything the OP said that was disingenuous.

I agree.

I can't get my head around the idea of a church having a motion graphics dept. (or a video or web dept. for that matter). It might help if you explain what you need to produce in a typical week/month, where you are being stretched now that leads you to want to make a new hire, a lot of what kind of hire to make would depend on your specific needs. If I was in your place I would probably hire another all rounder. One of the hardest parts about building a team is learning to delegate and manage people, if you start with another all rounder it makes it easier to pass on a lot of stuff (not a bad idea to try and find someone with different strengths and weaknesses than you so you can learn from each other).

I would also say hire one person at a time (I might be wrong be I think a lot of the big shops got to be that way gradually at first?). You will need to learn to delegate, manage, art direct etc. by the time you have ten people you aren't a motion designer, you are a full time manager it takes time to figure that stuff out. Sure in big studios they crew up for big jobs and bring in lots of people at once, but you don't necessarily get the best working relationships that way and they have people in place who's sole job is to manage that and delegate tasks, I think it would be disastrous to try and do this without the infrastructure. Seems to me the only constant on teams that I have seen that have been successful is really strong leadership and art direction (the bigger the team the clearer the vision needs to be to not get lost in the shuffle).

An HR person somewhere I once worked gave me the best advice I've ever been given with regards to hiring "Someone who is smart, driven, and nice will eventually figure anything out. A talented jerk will always be a jerk."

Take this advice for what it's worth I have hired some people to work with on really small teams and observed how some bigger teams worked, I'm certainly no industry vet who has seen how it's done in all the top shops or anything like that.

For those of you who are skeptical of what I'm asking, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough that you misjudged my intentions.

Our church is just about 4 1/2 years old and have a weekly attendance of over 6,000 people.

We've given away over 2 million dollars to the community in outreach within our 1st 4 years.

We've baptized over 2,000 people.

We've seen over 7500 people place their faith in Christ.

We believe in doing everything with excellence for the glory of God.

I know the stuff that we've done so far could all be done by one person, and that was me. The point in asking the initial question is that I know that the potential to do much greater work is there if more people were able to work together on projects.

There are also a lot of areas of the church that I feel could benefit from having some motion work added to their ministries and I'm unable to do all of it alone.

SO, the idea is that over time, I would build a team that would be successful and NOT wasteful.. hence me trying to receive some direction from people who have worked at successful studios.

Whether you believe in the Christian Church or not, I'd hope that as a professional artist you could appreciate somebody trying to produce better work for something they believe in and do it as efficiently as possible as to NOT waste resources in hiring people we didn't need.

All the church stuff aside, I'm asking if you were to start a studio and build the perfect "well-rounded" team, what types of people would you want and in what order would you add them on?

Again, thank you to those who offered some insight.

-Geoff

For those of you who are skeptical of what I'm asking, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough that you misjudged my intentions.

Our church is just about 4 1/2 years old and have a weekly attendance of over 6,000 people.

We've given away over 2 million dollars to the community in outreach within our 1st 4 years.

We've baptized over 2,000 people.

We've seen over 7500 people place their faith in Christ.

We believe in doing everything with excellence for the glory of God.

I know the stuff that we've done so far could all be done by one person, and that was me. The point in asking the initial question is that I know that the potential to do much greater work is there if more people were able to work together on projects.

There are also a lot of areas of the church that I feel could benefit from having some motion work added to their ministries and I'm unable to do all of it alone.

SO, the idea is that over time, I would build a team that would be successful and NOT wasteful.. hence me trying to receive some direction from people who have worked at successful studios.

Whether you believe in the Christian Church or not, I'd hope that as a professional artist you could appreciate somebody trying to produce better work for something they believe in and do it as efficiently as possible as to NOT waste resources in hiring people we didn't need.

All the church stuff aside, I'm asking if you were to start a studio and build the perfect "well-rounded" team, what types of people would you want and in what order would you add them on?

Again, thank you to those who offered some insight.

-Geoff

as a professional artist, i could give respect to a monkey painting a banana. what you're asking for is a free business consultation, which many people, myself included, take offense to. if you really wanted an answer, google it, go through the board archives, or try calling a studio and see what they say hehe. some guys here are willing to take the time to provide very in depth technical advice, but when it comes to starting your own franchise (which is basically what you're asking), we can't take you seriously as any serious production never starts on boards like this.

however what really peeves me is the fact that you couldn't read between the lines of what i was saying. i can tell you haven't worked in a major market because you simply can't swallow the reality of what you're asking us. a lot of us work in huge markets with million dollar productions. perhaps you weren't prepared to ask that question in this forum. your church has an audience of several thousand, well most of us work on projects that are part of global campaigns and rarely ever work in teams of more than 10. so take that into consideration when you're reading these responses.

again, since i wasn't clear enough, unless you're putting together a huge production, you will definitely not be needing 10 "pros". and if you are staffing 10 "pros" and not producing stellar shit or keeping up with the work, then you need to stop addressing them as pros and start cutting the fat off your team and start hiring real talent. as who to hire next? shit, if i was you i'd find my own replacement because you're asking the wrong fucking questions. you could have a 100 strong team and put out dogshit. or you could find a rockstar who can play the role of 5 people and solve all your staffing needs. and each team is project specific. meaning if you need cg, then hire a cg guy. you didn't provide us with anything except your church website and your reel leaving us to sift through your shit to figure out what you wanted.

and good for you that you've, so far, produced most of your churchs' graphics. stop bitching and realize that for most of us, 40 hour weeks have never existed and am not impressed by your work.

try not to come off as so arrogant and you should do just fine.

thanks in advance. :)

Edited by killkillakillyo

The point in asking the initial question is that I know that the potential to do much greater work is there if more people were able to work together on projects.

I think your intentions are good but your in pipedream mode right now. Which is perfectly fine; who hasn't been there? I think your just dreaming of a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Get the work first.

If you are overwhelmed, pick a task that is consuming a lot of your time and make a position for someone to perform that task so you can focus on the overall output of the department. Basic stuff. Relax, and know you will grow when you have a reason to grow.

Don't you have to get such increases approved by someone? Whoever signs their checks? Or... do you have a pool of 6,000 free / borderline free workers to pull from? dry.gif

If I had to say what positions to create / fill now, I would say:

1) Good dedicated designer for your department

2) Another animator, preferably more knowledgeable in 3d or something than you are

Thats really all I see a need for.

Edited by AromaKat

Thank you to those who at least helped with SOME direction.

Apologies for using a forum to ask a question.

I'll make sure to not use it again for advice.

killkillakillyo: thanks for sharing your insults

ok buddy i was trying to make a point on your thread and now you're hunting me down in my other posts?

your question is stupid. plain and simple. if it's not obvious who you need to hire next, then you're really not in the position or mental capacity to be asking questions like that anyways. stop crying i wasn't insulting you.

I'm not crying over here, trust me...

It just seems that if you thought a post wasn't worth responding to, you wouldn't. If nobody responded to my post, than nobody responded... i'm not relying on it to make a next hire, was just hoping to see what people thought made up a well-rounded dynamite team. Wasn't even trying to say that I'm qualified to be the lead on it/ overseeing it... just hoping to begin looking into expanding the team so I can spend more than 2-3 days working on a project. Wasn't trying to come across as if my work is awesome, again the whole heart behind the post was to build a team so that I can continue to grow as well as produce.

I've never understood how a church is able to hire a team of designers, let alone any profitable business possibilities.

You guys are the same people who claim their lake houses as "churches," thus escaping property taxes.

decisions-joel-osteen.jpg

Thanks but no thanks.

Edited by Pemberton

I've never understood how a church is able to hire a team of designers, let alone any profitable business possibilities.

You guys are the same people who claim their lake houses as "churches," thus escaping property taxes.

decisions-joel-osteen.jpg

Thanks but no thanks.

We aren't creating any "work for sale" - All the design work created is kept for usage during our worship experiences and actually then given away for free to other churches who are not able to afford to have a creative team.

Our church doesn't own lake houses for "churches" - not sure what you're talking about.

We aren't creating any "work for sale" - All the design work created is kept for usage during our worship experiences and actually then given away for free to other churches who are not able to afford to have a creative team.

Our church doesn't own lake houses for "churches" - not sure what you're talking about.

I just don't understand how you guys are able to afford these type of services. Through donations? If so, what are these people even donating to?

Profits? How does a church even make a profit? Sorry, I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to this.

All insults aside in this thread, your reel is solid, man. I think a lot of artists are the non-religious type, so it's tough preaching to the wrong choir.

was just hoping to see what people thought made up a well-rounded dynamite team.

dynamite team = psyop. why not be more specific with your question. like "if i was doing a 3d heavy spot, what would a typical staff structure look like?"

Killkillakillyo: Dude, you're kind of a dick. Hope that strategy works out well for you in life.

bro he asked the forum a question and i responded. was i harsh, fuck yea, and now that we've established that g-off can't handle the heat, i will consider that next time he posts. that's all that is. and if you think i'm a dick then you're probably right and i happen to be doing really well right now. dick.

I just don't understand how you guys are able to afford these type of services. Through donations? If so, what are these people even donating to?

Profits? How does a church even make a profit? Sorry, I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to this.

All insults aside in this thread, your reel is solid, man. I think a lot of artists are the non-religious type, so it's tough preaching to the wrong choir.

1. Thank you for acknowledging my work and not just bashing me - appreciate the compliment.

2. You are exactly right that a lot of artists are non-religious. I am however "preaching" (if that is what ya wanna call it) to the right choir... The point of our church is so that people far from God will be filled with life in Christ. People do give to our church, like they do to any non-profit, which is how it is funded. The people who go to our church believe greatly in the message we share and in how we share it. Striving towards excellence in every area is of the utmost importance since we believe we carry the most important message in the world, so we invest into bringing on professionals in every area of our staff to best present this message.

Hope that helps shed a little light into why we have a design team on staff at our church.

Killkillakillyo: Dude, you're kind of a dick. Hope that strategy works out well for you in life.

The guy is harsh, nothing wrong with that. There aren't enough blatantly honest people out there. When I post something, I'm not looking for "This looks cool, good job man." I want it torn to pieces.

The guy is harsh, nothing wrong with that. There aren't enough blatantly honest people out there. When I post something, I'm not looking for "This looks cool, good job man." I want it torn to pieces.

Not disagreeing- but check his post history. 80% of what he posts on here is just senseless bashing. There's a difference between honest criticism and being a dick.