Sign in to follow this  
g-off

Building the perfect team

10 seems excessive, unless you're planning on putting out high end 3d.

It would be helpful to know what kind of projects you plan on producing. And what you've produced in the past, where you've felt shorthanded etc.

I just finished a spot for British Gas at Hornet Inc. The team working on these spots consists of the director, a lighter and a gaffer, 2-4 character animators, 1-2 compositors, a 3D modeler & texturer, a 3D animator, and a technical director. So we usually are 10 or more. The budget is appropriately large.

We also have some directors at Hornet who do things solo, or in pairs; one person handling 3D and one doing design and comping. I'd recommend that for smaller budget projects, though it means having to work much harder.

Edited by mete_shop

10 seems excessive, unless you're planning on putting out high end 3d.

It would be helpful to know what kind of projects you plan on producing. And what you've produced in the past, where you've felt shorthanded etc.

I just finished a spot for British Gas at Hornet Inc. The team working on these spots consists of the director, a lighter and a gaffer, 2-4 character animators, 1-2 compositors, a 3D modeler & texturer, a 3D animator, and a technical director. So we usually are 10 or more. The budget is appropriately large.

We also have some directors at Hornet who do things solo, or in pairs; one person handling 3D and one doing design and comping. I'd recommend that for smaller budget projects, though it means having to work much harder.

First off, great job with that spot. I actually just looked at it again today at work while scouring the internets lookin' for some inspiration :)

Secondly, I know 10 does "seem" excessive. The intent is to not go out and look for 9 others to be hired in the next year or two by any means... I'm thinking over the next 20 maybe as the church continues to grow and the need becomes greater and greater.

Right now, I am the only motion graphics designer and am spending most of my time creating custom "graphics packages" for what we call "sermon series." These are topical sets of sermons that last anywhere from 1-5 weeks mainly. I, along with the video team, depending on what is needed, put together a trailer used to advertise the series and then a bumper used as a transition during the worship experience between worship set and the sermon. I also design the graphics used for the L3rds and Scripture. Also responsible for supplying support graphics for a LOT of video pieces that are created and then also create some stand alone pieces that are used during the worship experience.

Part of the larger issue is the volume of work that our team creates and the lack of time that is give to spend on each project. I'm often not spending more than 25-30 work hours on any given animation that is 30-45 seconds long from. This includes concept, to design, to animation. Again, completely solo.

On top off that, there are other areas of the church that don't really get any of my attention that I feel would strongly benefit from some motion work... kids ministry, small groups, volunteering, community outreach, general church marketing, etc.

The long term goal is to be at a point that we as a team can be creating award-winning level work. As you know, this takes people and time.

The first goal would be to get another person in that is an "all-arounder" perhaps with some more skill in 3D than I have. Then, I'd love to get someone who is more in tune with VFX. Then perhaps someone who is more specialized with "kids" style graphics.

Again, there is probably an endless amount of work that I can see being done and I'm trying to prioritize what needs to get done and then who is best to do it.

So, hope that sheds a little more light into my world. Again, any advice/suggestions you might have would be invaluable.

Thanks.