Sign in to follow this  
awollsoder

Unfolding

Hi guys,

I just wonder if anyone know how they did the second part of these amazing syfy clips (Man vs Machine Syfy)? The triangles that unfolds.

Im using c4d and dont know what program they was using for these.

They may have been hand animated, but I wonder if there is some easier way to do this with maybe Mograph or Joints?

Holla,

DFMN

i dont have time give u huge long response, but it can be done by render the 'folds' in different layers, so that you can comp them on top in post. so in AE you would have 30 or so folds as single layers with the bg layer, and then at the point the layer folds, have that be the first frame they show up on your timeline. hope that helps a little

Edited by getSOME

I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but I do know they use Maya almost exclusively (definitely for those spots) and there was quite possibly a MEL script involved for some of it. If you watch the spot though I think there's a lot of close ups and it wouldn't be far fetched to hand animate and fake a lot of it (as discussed in that other thread if I remember).

Edited by froj