Sign in to follow this  
NastyJames

Font Management

So I just got ton of fonts from one of my clients. I figured I wouldn't be able to install them all, as there were far too many. So I put them only into font book, thinking that I could use it like a browser, like extensis. But apparently putting fonts into font book automatically installs them. Needless to say, I crashed the fuck out of my computer. After multiple restarts I've gotten them off, but I still want access to them. Can any body recommend a font management program? I tried extensis years ago, and really struggled with it. Has anything better come out, or am I stuck with trying to figure out the suitcase?

Edited by NastyJames

Font Explorer X is a good free one for Mac (there may be a Windows version as well). They do have a pro version available now on their site, so the free one will have to be downloaded elsewhere, like softpedia

http://mac.softpedia...xplorer-X.shtml

I have Suitcase Fusion at work, which is almost useless, but I use Suitcase version 2 at home and it is a very solid program with a lot of new features.

*edit- Looks like they have version 3 out now: http://www.extensis....n3/overview.jsp

Edited by Artistic Synthesis

I'm actually the other way around. Have been using Suitcase for years but it's been growing clunky for me. These days I'm using Font Explorer X, which is pretty nice.

Me too. I used to use SF2 although it always seemed a bit clunky. Font Explorer X Pro is both user-friendly and powerful. The free version is fine but not officially supported any more so I'm guessing it'll become more crash-prone as OS X updates leave it behind. I didn't think much of Fontcase which struggled when I imported 6000+ fonts. Suitcase Fusion 3 might be better but the new features list didn't strike me as enough to switch from FontExplorer.

Guest Sao_Bento

I think I literally own every font manager out there for Mac OS X. I ended up coming back to the paid version of Font Explorer X Pro.