Sign in to follow this  
Encity

leaving a job?

Hey, I wanted to ask some more senior motion designers about leaving staffed positions for another company. Im a bit in that situation where I might have another job offer that interests me more. but I would be leaving my first job in this industry at this company. (ive been here for about a year, including internship) I know i want to do whats best in my interests, but I don't want to severe any relationship I have already here since I very much enjoy my current company.

How do other people approach their boss to tell them they might be leaving? do you tell them that you have another job offer. etc. Nothing for me is a definite yet, but when I'm faced with the situation I want to be prepared to know how I should word things. Currently I think i play an important role in my current job because im the only employee and I do a lot of the grunt work. (not trying to be full of myself) Slowly we've been getting more jobs coming in, to the point where my boss has "mentioned" that we need to talk about my future (which i assume in regards to full time, only part time now)

Any help? It probably is silly, but this really is sort of a "fear of confronting boss" kind of thing. Just trying to make sure I word things properly to keep a good relationship. (though i cant imagine my boss really being on bad terms with me)

Edited by JeffreyM

No one in their right mind would be upset since you are just a part-time employee. Is the new potential job full-time? Permanent? Benefits? i understand that you have some loyalty to your current employer, and that is admirable. I would wait to say anything until you have a solid offer from the new job, then think about your options. If you want the new job, tell your current boss and he may up the offer. He may make you full-time.

If he says well, sorry to see you go, then take the new job if it's something you want. However, don't screw around too much and try and play one off the other. That will only end bad. If the new job makes an offer, but you don;t like all of the details, then thank them and tell them that you are no longer interested and try again.

My thoughts on the matter.

Pursue the new gig and don't worry about burning bridges. As long as you aren't a dick about it, nobody will hold anything against you. If they do, and give you negativity, its probably because you are a cheap asset to them and they don't want to lose that.

Just say that you have been presented with a better offer. Simple as that. Of course, wait until you actually have that offer in hand. You don't want to tell them you are looking around. Well... maybe say that since you are trying to get full time. Part time just doesn't cut it.

Your boss is just a guy, just like you, so there's no reason to be afraid of anything. I always find the more open you are with your employer, the better things are when the time comes for you to leave. At my last Motion Design job, I told my boss in the interview that I was interested in teaching, and that there was an opportunity about a year away where I may leave to go and teach. About 8 months later, that day came around, and they were totally cool with it, since it didn't come out of nowhere. I've worked a few freelance gigs for them since, and our relationship is great.

Honesty has always been the best tool, in my experience.

I'd like to add that if you're going to post questions like these (which are totally acceptable, btw) it's recommended you do so on a account that is not so clearly identifiable as you. Things have a way of getting around on our beloved (and ubiquitous) internet. The last thing you want is for your boss to surprise you with, "So Jeff, I stumbled upon the mograph.net boards today and..."

Don't think it can't happen to you.

Sound advice everyone, thanks, its appreciated

I'd like to add that if you're going to post questions like these (which are totally acceptable, btw) it's recommended you do so on a account that is not so clearly identifiable as you. Things have a way of getting around on our beloved (and ubiquitous) internet. The last thing you want is for your boss to surprise you with, "So Jeff, I stumbled upon the mograph.net boards today and..."

Don't think it can't happen to you.

Totally, I was thinking about this for a while before posting, but believe the chance of my boss stumbling across was minimal. (mainly because I've noticed that she hasn't been the type to troll these kinds of forums.)

Just walk into the office say you need to talk and close the door. Tell them you are leaving and then, tell them you are going them two weeks. Before you do, buy a new hard drive and copy off all the projects, applications, footage that you want, also grab there client contacts. Just say you are tired of this place and ready to see what else is out there. Then say thanks. Try to make it short and don't let them try and talk you into staying. Just cut the cord and bounce.

Before you do, buy a new hard drive and copy off all the projects, applications, footage that you want, also grab there client contacts.

rob the damn place FTW!

but don't let them push you around. in my experience we tend to spoil our more noobish clients and like children they tend to lean on that a bit. when they lean a little too hard just pull the rug from under them and leave with a copy of the studio on your backup drive. there are more than enough jobs out there that you don't have to walk around with your eyes to the floor. then again social milieu still applies so don't be too cocky either. i wholeheartedly believe that our side of the industry has to come together to change the tides of compensation and how we are treated. either we do it, or the clients will CONTINUE pulling the rope across their side of the line.

jman i've seen your work and i think you are definitely in a good place with a lot of potential in your future. don't let the studio punk you. the fact that you would even consider leaving means that they aren't treating you right or aren't paying you enough to make it worth your while. not that it's a good idea to be a consistent hardass, but it's worse to always give in to their countless revisions, late nights, and never ending holds. i've worked at some dream studios where they truly valued their freelancers and compensated them likewise. i've also been to places where the heads were arrogant fucks who genuinely felt they were doing the freelancer a favor by allowing them to sit at their stations to bask in their greatness.

if you don't know if you're leaving a good thing or not ask your producer how much they billed their client for each hour or day (the budget) on the last project you finished. if they hesitate to answer then you can probably bet that you've been screwed and they have no respect for you. that's your que to gtfo. don't make a scene of it but don't get on your knees either. tell them that you've gotten another offer for more money, better terms, and at a studio that won't treat you like a dog.

most producers play poker when it comes to negotiating contracts. that's what they're paid to do. either you play too or you're getting the dick end of the deal.

+1 on anonymity. word gets around very very fast. i have shit on freelancers and studios worldwide.

and another thing. if you feel the studio depends on you being there then definitely use that with your other job offer to leverage a higher rate at your current studio. you are in a situation that almost every staff-to-freelancer has gone through so don't feel like you're out of place to be bringing this to your producer. they might try to play the sympathy card but don't fall for it. if they are still in business then they are making a killing on top of what they pay their employees.

Edited by killkillakillyo

if you wanna stay on good terms, then just try to give a lengthy notice of like 6 weeks. that'll give them plenty of time to find a replacement.

keep in mind that your boss and any producers, PMs, etc are probably even more concerned than you are about not burning the bridge... you're the young talented one matriculating up to a better job where you'll acquire better contacts etc after all.

if you feel guilty or apprehensive, just remember that literally every job is temporary.

hope this helps and best of luck.

Edited by jaan

6 weeks!!!!!????? sheesh that's a little overboard hahaha. I'm finishing up my 2 weeks tomorrow and starting a new job on the 25th. I told my boss I was leaving and giving that i'd give them 2 weeks....that's all. It's been a little awkward but i'm excited for my new opportunity!

Good luck Jeff

6 weeks!!!!!????? sheesh that's a little overboard hahaha. I'm finishing up my 2 weeks tomorrow and starting a new job on the 25th. I told my boss I was leaving and giving that i'd give them 2 weeks....that's all. It's been a little awkward but i'm excited for my new opportunity!

Good luck Jeff

assuming you're on good terms with your employer and they're not gonna abuse your remaining work time, and you're simply moving on, why would you wanna give them an ulcer? would you want to have to find a new designer/animator in two weeks on top of all your normal workload? 2 weeks notice is for retail and food service.

you're new gig is gonna wait 6 weeks for you? I doubt it....the norm is 2 weeks. I'm leaving on good terms and they are going to be looking for a replacement but there's no way I'd put my life on hold for 6 weeks for a company.

you're new gig is gonna wait 6 weeks for you? I doubt it....the norm is 2 weeks. I'm leaving on good terms and they are going to be looking for a replacement but there's no way I'd put my life on hold for 6 weeks for a company.

it really depends on the market you're in. for some larger markets there's a line of talent that stretches around the block and employers don't have to look far or long to find a replacement, so two weeks might even be too generous.

but i think it all depends on the studio and how well they treated you. don't be afraid to offend them or get on their bad side either. from what i've seen, it's those studios with a long blacklist that end up going under because they've built a "too good for themselves" image. for every day they made you stay past the typical 10 hours within the past 2 months, i'd knock a day off the typical 2 weeks notice you give them. so if you've stayed more than 2 weeks OT, just get up and leave. this of course is relative to how much they've been paying you, but definitely trust your gut.

On the anonymity thing: totally agree. I'm an example. This profile is an alternate one. For several reasons, including current/future employers. Don't forget your messages will stay around for years to come. I still stumble now and then with things i posted way back in 1999 in other sites. And boy, do they make me look dumb...

Thanks guys appreciate all the advice.

And the thing about the anonymity on this matter. I also figured if they truly do find this post, can they really penalize me for thinking about my future and how to improve it?, the same stuff Im sure they had to go through anyway. The people in this industry seem more down to earth and a bit less like corporate ass, (though of course they can be). And if they do penalize me, then I wouldnt want to deal with these kinds of employers anyway, who would play a guilt card.

Anyways, an offer was made, so I'll see how things go. :]

Thanks guys appreciate all the advice.

And the thing about the anonymity on this matter. I also figured if they truly do find this post, can they really penalize me for thinking about my future and how to improve it?, the same stuff Im sure they had to go through anyway. The people in this industry seem more down to earth and a bit less like corporate ass, (though of course they can be). And if they do penalize me, then I wouldnt want to deal with these kinds of employers anyway, who would play a guilt card.

Anyways, an offer was made, so I'll see how things go. :]

you shouldn't be so worried w/ a reel like the one you have ;)