Sign in to follow this  
Infernal Robot

2.5D in Maya. Paper Cut-Out animation.

I have been tasked by a client to create a dense 3D environment made up of paper cut-out, pop-up-book style animation.

I'm wondering if anybody has any advice or know of any tutorials, resources for this type of thing in a 3D application.

Ideally I would like to do all my drawings in photoshop, bring them in and somehow rig? animate them with some serious bounce, squash/stretch. Etc. I can work in 3D but rigging/animating in 2.5 D is baffling.

To get an idea of the type of animation I would like to achieve here are some examples:

This one HERE was done using 3DS Max, i'm using maya.

This one's beautiful. And they've given their models some depth, apparently they can tilt the train, etc, 15 degrees before you see it's vector flat.

How is this done!!!

pivot points and hierarchies. do it in after effects especially if you're going to be going back and forth from photoshop. if you suck at ae then look up how they make southpark. they use maya and their techniques could probably help you a lot.

Edited by killkillakillyo

It seems extremely counter-intuitive to make a paper cut out animation in a 3D app like Maya or 3DS Max. This is what After Effects was designed for. You'd hamstring yourself before you even started the race.

As Sao said best "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

edit: after rewatching the AICP clip it's clear there's a mix of 3D and 2D animation, so if you're interested in something along those lines as opposed to the bosco clip, I'd definitely incorporate MAYA.

Edited by mete_shop

With what you're able to accomplish rig and control-wise in Maya I can see how that may be a better option. It depends on the sophistication of the final animation and your relative levels of comfort with the 2 apps. It's hard to say, in particularly specific terms, how you should go about rigging things up as it's a pretty broad question. Generally speaking I'd say take a look at the storyboards and style references to determine what you need your characters and rigs to accomplish. I've had reasonable luck with designing things in Illustrator and bringing them into Maya for rigging. There's going to need to be some cleanup, but it shouldn't be a problem if you're proficient with the modeling tools in Maya. If you need sophisticated character controls you could consider using a rig based on a full 3d character rig (with IK, squash and stretch, etc.) but then altering it to a 2d character. If you think what you know about 3d animation and then remove a dimension it's really not that different.