Sign in to follow this  
DreVanGough

Boujou Motion Tracking Help

So i have this clip with a zoom in/ pull out, then steady for a few mins then zoom im/ pull out again. Its a clip of 3 guys standing against the green screen. The targets on the green screen are blurry during close ups and sometimes not visible, and when the camera pulls out everything is visible and targets are apparent. Basically my problem is the camera solve from boujou doesn't last throughout the entire clip just the ending, maybe the last 30sec or so.

Any tips on how to go about fixing this?

Thanks

-Dre

No idea what you can do to fix that procedurally, but I guess you have a couple of extra things to add to the checklist!

- Set focus in post

- Film a test run and check the markers before shooting for real (preferably on set)

- Take measurements of the start and end points on your pull and any relevant camera settings

- Take a load of reference photos to use as helper frames, sometimes these can save a shot.

You could try reverse tracking the shot (although I imagine you've already tried that. Finally there's tracking the shot by hand, you could probably build a half-decent solve by going over the curves you've managed to track as long as there's no lateral movement.

That's pretty much all I have to offer, I'm sure there are far more experienced VFX guys on here who will be of more use than me!

Dan

could you do the camera pull and bluring in post? If you have the opportunity to shoot again ofcourse.

otherwise yeah wait for someone with more experience, maybe there is a way around it =)

but i don't like your changes :P

Edited by vozzz

Are you just using automatic tracker? If you still see blurry blobs which are the markers you can try use target tracks and manually track keyframes for the blobs (then let Boujou interpret the in-betweens). Or you can do manual frame by frame tracking w/ Locators. Also you can adjust the size of the automatic tracker points to take bigger samples vs. smaller points in the frame (on the track features tab click on advanced). For footage with tons of DOF it's usually a combination of automatic/manual and a lot of luck.

Ok ill try that but what if there are no tracking points(or targets) at all in the shot just green background?

If there are any scuff marks or other other details on the greenscreen you may be able to pull that. otherwise you'll have to just guess the general position of the camera (in Maya, C4D, or whatever 3D package) in the sections there is nothing to track.

you could draw tracking markers on frame by frame, but i don't think that would work very well.

I guess just guessing the camera position is your best bet if there are no markers, because if you have no markers, you really don't have anything to track.

Like you need static locators for tracking software to work...