Sign in to follow this  
eley

12-core mac pro... has anybody tested them yet?..

I'm curious to see what the performance difference really is between these and the 8-cores. Are the extra 4 cores worth the extra $1500, and how much ram do you have to cram in these to make them worth it....

Are the extra 4 cores worth the extra $1500

I'm betting not. Pretty sure I would rather buy a render cow (or two) for the money instead.

Edited by AromaKat

I will be testing one starting this week. I will try and post here what kind of performance gain I see. I would guess the answer to your question about performance gain would depend on how much 3D animating or 2k/4k/1080p machine-crushing work you do. If you are just doing average AE work, you probably won't see as much gain as you would like for the money you are investing. It may be your best bet at this point to invest in a secondary render box as stated before.

I will have the box under my desk, alongside my OctoCore Nehalem setup and both will have at least 16GB of RAM. I will also be testing CS4 against CS5 and C4D 11.5. I can try and post some numbers when I get the tests done.

sureMOE!

Edited by BOY:1:DER

I'd love to see those numbers bro! I may just be able to afford a used Nehalem when everyone dumps them for the monster 12, hehehe.

Edited by xllr8

I just got one of these bad boys at work today. I have to admit I was skeptical but they are amazingly fast at cinema. I was previously on a 2.6 Ghz 8 core with 4 gig of 667 ram. Now on 12 core (24 render threads) with 6 gigs of 1333 ram.

The low down... a frame that took 4+ minutes on the old machine rendered in 16 seconds on this!!! Dont tell the clients

I just got one of these bad boys at work today. I have to admit I was skeptical but they are amazingly fast at cinema. I was previously on a 2.6 Ghz 8 core with 4 gig of 667 ram. Now on 12 core (24 render threads) with 6 gigs of 1333 ram.

The low down... a frame that took 4+ minutes on the old machine rendered in 16 seconds on this!!! Dont tell the clients

oh no... tell the clients. and let them know it's an investment that needs to be paid off. justify the rate hike. :D

Is this also including a jump from CS4 to CS5?

That's fast!

Yeah.... sorry about the vagueness of the posting. I will post Cinebench results soon, just in the middle of a crazy deadline. The previous machine was about 3 years old, so its not surprising to see such a huge jump. Basically went from 8 render threads to 24 and on chips with a much faster architecture. If it was me and my money, I would personally be buying two slower machines and mostly likely even 2 PC stations.

BTW, I think I still have that Double Dragon game somewhere AWESOME

my 6 core feels sooo small. whooping 24 threads, can I have two of these, please

12core mac, cinema 12...the world is changing so fast :)

Edited by stoiqa