Sign in to follow this  
eldanielaso

Daniel Cervantes Demo Reel 2010

Your reel seems to show quite a variety of work, which I think is great. My opinion is that your editing skills seem stronger than the design elements. One note about your resume - I'd avoid putting the bit about the pharmacy gig - keep your resume focused on the career you want to be pursuing.

Your reel seems to show quite a variety of work, which I think is great. My opinion is that your editing skills seem stronger than the design elements. One note about your resume - I'd avoid putting the bit about the pharmacy gig - keep your resume focused on the career you want to be pursuing.

Thanks Dave,

Regarding the design elements, how would you recommend I add to my repertoire? Would you make some mocked up motion graphics for existing brands, or would you do branding for lesser known brands, such as local businesses of friends and associates? I am in the process of getting 3D studio Max so that I can learn some modeling. Any pointers would be great!

-Daniel

There are quite a few posts discussing how to go about personal projects that you could check out of inspiration or suggestions. In fact there was a thread in the past week discussing exactly this topic. A good place to start would be figuring out what it is you want to do moving forwards. As Dave mentioned it does feel like there's more of an editorial leaning to the reel you currently have. Are you trying to move in a new direction with your work? Are you just trying to supplement your work with some graphics?

There are quite a few posts discussing how to go about personal projects that you could check out of inspiration or suggestions. In fact there was a thread in the past week discussing exactly this topic. A good place to start would be figuring out what it is you want to do moving forwards. As Dave mentioned it does feel like there's more of an editorial leaning to the reel you currently have. Are you trying to move in a new direction with your work? Are you just trying to supplement your work with some graphics?

I have a desire to learn more about how to make graphic elements used in commercials and promotional materials. I guess you could say I am not very well versed in graphics because I get no graphics work, but I get no graphics work because I am not well versed in graphics. I suppose the only real answer is to practice on making graphics for "imaginary jobs." I am installing 3-D studio Max today and am going to look up some tutorials. Any recommendation?

As I'm sure you've seen discussed on this forum previously the general consensus is that, in general, to be commercially viable 'graphics' need to extend from good design foundations in general. (Really they are just two heads of the same coin)

I'm not sure what your design background is, but if your goal is to get more heavily into motion design then I would recommend directing the lion's share of your personal-learning time to studying the fundamentals of graphic design and how graphic design can be put into motion. Assuming you're background is not already in design. Learning 3d Studio Max will probably be a lot of fun, but ultimately what will help you in your career and to reaching your goals is not learning a specific piece of software, but rather learning the concepts that can be implemented with ANY piece of software.

That said it's important to be proficient with the tools once those foundations are established. Unfortunately I don't know what the best resource for 3d Studio Max is these days, but I'm sure a quick search around the interwebs (and Mograph.net) should yield some useful results.