Sign in to follow this  
Steven J.

Creativity versus Plagiarism

How much, if any, can we use CONCEPTS we see in tutorials or things we see? You can't tell me everything I see on network TV is absolutely original. For example, can anyone use cherries again, now that they've been in a tutorial?

Edited by Steven J.

You "can" do whatever you want. The goal should always be to do original work (or at least combine a bunch of different references and influences into something somewhat original). Then I think the reality is you make whatever compromises you can live with based on the pressures and demands of the gig. I've seen plenty of promos that are pretty much straight up tuts so you "can" do this if you want, question is more is this something you would want to do, it's up to you...

How much, if any, can we use CONCEPTS we see in tutorials or things we see? You can't tell me everything I see on network TV is absolutely original. For example, can anyone use cherries again, now that they've been in a tutorial?

do whatever makes you money. but once you get picked out as a busta ass biter then you will always be known as "steven j that busta ass biter who passes off tuts as his own work."

the keyword is "concepts" and it has nothing to do with which buttons to push. nobody said cherries are now banned because nick decided to use them in his tutorial. but there's a certain bullshit factor that goes into play when you start passing off "his" work as "your" work. did you do the research and experimenting to come up with the animation? did you even bother customizing it enough so that it looked nothing like his finished spot? these are questions only you can really answer. but any discerning eye is going to know the difference.

but anothername is right. do whatever you want. respect is optional.

this is also true for work you've done in a team or within a pipeline. i've been lead on projects that have ended up plastered on peoples' reels when they did nothing more than a few frames of roto or designs that the animation weren't even based off of. that's a real burn and typically i just turn my head to people like that. some people i know will refuse to ever work with those types of individuals again.

you will eventually find no work, the "industry" will know you by name, you will be outcast for life. a career killer in my book.

Edited by killkillakillyo

Just to be clear, I have no intentions of copying tutorials and passing them off as my own work. I think it's wrong to do that, and I don't want my name smeared. But I do like to watch tutorials and learn and mess around with features I never thought to mess with. Maybe concept is the wrong word choice. I like to think you can learn a feature, or see a particular problem solved by watching a tutorial, and use the "tool" you have learned and later apply it to something else in one of your own projects. For example, I was trying to make some fish swim around and arrange themselves into words. I was able to do that before I saw Nick's tutorial, but after seeing the dynamics applied as well as the effectors, and the cooler way the objects seemed to arrange themselves, I decided pop that project back open and to apply that technique.

Just to be clear, I have no intentions of copying tutorials and passing them off as my own work. I think it's wrong to do that, and I don't want my name smeared. But I do like to watch tutorials and learn and mess around with features I never thought to mess with. Maybe concept is the wrong word choice. I like to think you can learn a feature, or see a particular problem solved by watching a tutorial, and use the "tool" you have learned and later apply it to something else in one of your own projects. For example, I was trying to make some fish swim around and arrange themselves into words. I was able to do that before I saw Nick's tutorial, but after seeing the dynamics applied as well as the effectors, and the cooler way the objects seemed to arrange themselves, I decided pop that project back open and to apply that technique.

What you are describing is the way tutorials are intended to be used. So it's all good as long as you are not just replacing the cherries with fish, but if you are just using that technique, we'll that's the whole point of the tut.

From my point of view I think what keeps it all legit is not to design backwards. In other words don't see a cool technique in a tut and then say how am I going to work this into a project, but instead come up with a concept for your project and then if there is part of your idea you don't know how to execute look through some tuts to find technical solutions. But if you couldn't use what you learned in the tuts on real projects wouldn't be much point in doing them, as long as you are using the general principles behind the technique and not biting there's nothing wrong with that.

For example, can anyone use cherries again, now that they've been in a tutorial?

The good part, learning of the masses/education value of it. Then again, this can only push your originality.

about the Cherry....reinvent it, or use bananas ;)

Edited by stoiqa

As far as the cherries go, I was being facetious, because it's such a well known example, obviously, and it has been imitated. Heck, I was tempted to, but I know better than to touch 'em with a ten foot pole. Maybe raspberries. :P

Guest Sao_Bento

Psst - he ripped it from Pac Man :D

As far as the cherries go, I was being facetious, because it's such a well known example, obviously, and it has been imitated. Heck, I was tempted to, but I know better than to touch 'em with a ten foot pole. Maybe raspberries.

Here's a related article I read yesterday.

Inspiration v Creativity

Very sobering and really knocks you down a peg, like any artist should be (as if we didn't do it enough ourselves...).

There's some valid points in that article, but I have to say, on a whole I don't agree with him.

The "inspiration" that he trashes is the catalyst that's allowed for the huge leaps in aesthetics over the past decade in our industry.

Despite what your mother might have told you, chances are you're not special. I know I'm not special, but I can still do good work because I'm willing to admit that I build on top of what already exists.

Of course being able to sit down with a pencil and come up with ideas is key, but you have to be aware of what's been made in the past, and what's being made now in order to do that well.

Looking at other people's work doesn't make us lazy, it makes us aware.

Edited by Spence