Sign in to follow this  
moshun

Cinema 4D - How do I create a mini-Earth?

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

I'd like to find a way to attach objects to the surface of a sphere. I want to make a mini-earth, like the ones here: Honda Drive

I'm still a bit new to Cinema 4D and am not sure how to create this effect efficiently. I've already created it manually (painstakingly) but I know there has to be a way to do this that doesn't involve manually positioning 2 unconnected objects in space. I've already used the warp deformer, but I'm not satisfied with the fact that the object being deformed has no connection to the sphere itself. I'm looking for something that will actually attach to the sphere and give me the ability to animate rises, falls and slides on the surface.

Is there some way to stick one surface of an object to a sphere like the Honda ad has done?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Edit: clarification

Edited by moshun

thats a nice spot.

well there is the clamp constraint (either in xpresso or in mocca), there is mograph, which will let you arrange stuff on a surface, And now in 12, there is the surface deformer, which should help in this situation =)

just get a cloner object, set it's mode to Object and drag the sphere into the object field.

then put your buildings under the cloner.

then you can change the mode of arranging stuff ( faces, points, edges..)