Sign in to follow this  
Winston64

Does anyone use Maya for mograph?

If not, why not? Not defending the program, just curious. Seems like few if any do.

It's more complicated than C4D and I don't think I'd take advantage of any of the strengths it has over C4D.

Not to mention that C4D has more or less become the standard 3D tool for motion graphics studios.

That said, yes, some studios do use maya, but it seems to be the ones that do allot more character animation.

I use whatever program gets the job done with better results/faster/easier. Sometimes that's Maya sometimes that's C4D. Example, Maya's handling of Illustrator type isn't that great compared to the ease of dropping new type into an extrude nurbs in C4D. However out of the box the bevels in Maya are far more flexible for edging. C4D has much much easier GI to quickly light a scene compared to Mental Ray's complex initial setup. On the flip side I've found the motion blur is absolutely terrible in the Advanced Render compared to Maya's built in Software or Mental Ray renders. I could go on and on but my point is to use whatever software/OS/tools gets the job done for you.

Edited by superegophobia

I use whatever program gets the job done with better results/faster/easier. Sometimes that's Maya sometimes that's C4D. Example, Maya's handling of Illustrator type isn't that great compared to the ease of dropping new type into an extrude nurbs in C4D. However out of the box the bevels in Maya are far more flexible for edging. C4D has much much easier GI to quickly light a scene compared to Mental Ray's complex initial setup. On the flip side I've found the motion blur is absolutely terrible in the Advanced Render compared to Maya's built in Software or Mental Ray renders. I could go on and on but my point is to use whatever software/OS/tools gets the job done for you.

I couldn't agree more. I initially started out in C4D and just recently jumped into the world of Maya for school and I have to say there is definitely a love hate relationship with the program. I love the what it can do but like many have stated there is a very steep learning curve. When I first started using Maya I was of the mindset that "Im a C4D guy through and through". But the more I use Maya the more I see that every program has its strengths and weaknesses. The big thing is what you feel the most fluent with and are more comfortable using.

As for now I think I will stick with Maya and learn all I can for it but you better believe if it comes to doing some mograph ill be jumping into C4D and playing with the mograph module. :)

I use maya, but thats only because I want to get into character animation, vfx, and everything else, So when It cam time to sell my company on a 3d app, I suggested the one that would allow us to do the most. Now that its time to purchase my own 3D app, I'm not sure I can just as easily justify the price tag of maya. Cost can also be a major factor as well, obviously.

-K

Maya, it crashes way too much! I do have a legal copy of it and it's always crashing. I guess it's because it's so deep and you can just about do anything with it, if you want. Myself, I'm a C4D guy, it just works:)

Maya, it crashes way too much! I do have a legal copy of it and it's always crashing. I guess it's because it's so deep and you can just about do anything with it, if you want. Myself, I'm a C4D guy, it just works:)

It all depends on what version you are running. Unfortunately, yes, Maya 2011 crashes ALL the time. From what I have heard it is just a matter of time before the kinks are all worked out. Not a very good excuse, I know. But older versions work like a dream. I know a few people who are still using Maya '08 (or '09?) and loving it.