Sign in to follow this  
surreelstudios

Immersing 3D Objects into Live Footage

I'm deep into the pre production of a music video and need a little advice:

I am planning on shooting a band play the living room of an old Victorian home where suddenly a variety of 3D objects appear floating and multiplying amongst the players.

Currently I plan on shooting the scene and variety of shoots all "locked off" in full 1920x1080 HD so that adding the 3D objects will require minimal motion tracking. Also, I would like to have the objects appearing in-front and behind the players, often times obstructing the camera's view.

With this in mind, it has come to my attention that it may be best to shoot the band in a green studio rather than the living room of the Victorian and THEN nest the them back into the final environment.

Is this the best solution?

Here is a test scene I have created to demonstrate the look I am going for:

http://vimeo.com/15036880

password: geometric

Any advice would help.

Thanks

greenscreening it wouldnt really do much help unles you were puttin them into an entirely fabricated environment. really, its a matter of masking the individual players cleanly and matching the light and defocusing. it's all about refinement and integration now. what you have shown is a step in the right direction, the only thing that directly pops out at me the the flat lighting of the floating objects --they definately dont seem to be lit from the same source as the rest of the environment.

I wouldn't use green screen for obvious reason.

I would measure the height of the camera and the distance to the subject

recreate the same camera in the 3d software

shoot the band and then rotoscope each member and layer on top of each other to allow object to pass behind (you'll end up with original look versus the green screen)

layer the 3d export at the very top

easy ;)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input, especially misanthrope. and ootb.

Any suggestions or advice for making rotoscoping as painless as possible? In the past it has never turned out the way I'd like.

I was actually considering upgrading to CS5 just for the roto brush tool option. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Cs5 would probably help you with faster roto, if u wanna pay for it :]

it just takes time but if you do a good job, the final should be really quality...

send us a link when you done so that we can have a look ;)

You should also create an HDRI of the living room to help with the lighting of your 3D objects. FX Guide.com may also have some tips for you.

Wow, I've never heard of using HDRI this way! I went to fxguide.com and found this article:

http://www.fxguide.com/modules.php?name=fxtips&rop=showcontent&id=304

Not sure if this is exactly what your were recommending, but it sure does give some more insight into lighting.

Would you suggest I employ a similar technique?

I will be mainly working in AE and Photoshop, not Maya. Will this matter?

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input, especially misanthrope. and ootb.

Any suggestions or advice for making rotoscoping as painless as possible? In the past it has never turned out the way I'd like.

I was actually considering upgrading to CS5 just for the roto brush tool option. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Try Mocha, they have the roto planar tracking technology going on, which will save you lots of time. Also get the mocha shape plugin for Ae.

http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/