Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

Looking for a music video: deliberate MPEG artefacts

Hey all - not sure if anyone can help but it's worth a try. I remember seeing a really clever music video linked from here a while back - could be a year, could be two - where they made very deliberate use of MPEG compression, the artefacts became an integral part of the transitions, new footage emerged from the noise and it worked really well with the feel of the music. I've tried searching but the terms - 'mpeg compression', 'music video' - are too frequent to be useful.

Hope someone can help! Cheers - Chris

Hey all - not sure if anyone can help but it's worth a try. I remember seeing a really clever music video linked from here a while back - could be a year, could be two - where they made very deliberate use of MPEG compression, the artefacts became an integral part of the transitions, new footage emerged from the noise and it worked really well with the feel of the music. I've tried searching but the terms - 'mpeg compression', 'music video' - are too frequent to be useful.

Hope someone can help! Cheers - Chris

I think it could be this

Artifacts

There are some really sick transitions in there. I am still trying to figure out how its done. The use of the MPEG glitch transition I'm speaking of is sprinkled lightly throughout, so keep your eyes peeled.

Yeah it's that Presets video isn't it? Surprised that there's no render plugin for AE that does it. If there is one I haven't found it. We spend so much time chasing perfection and all we really want sometimes is a bit of filth ;)

Bit late to this party but in case you didn't figure it out the term you want to google is 'data moshing'. I just finished making a video using a bit of it (and actually ended up turning the 'moshed' video into an animated gif and then back to video) - great fun once you figure it out. The best results come from edit between clips with varying amounts of motion and background detail.