Sign in to follow this  
BrandonRidge

Tornado Animation/Thoughts

I'm working on a tornado animation and would like your thoughts. It's to be used in an upcoming promo. When creating the animation I wanted to make something that looked convincing. Let me know if I succeeded.

http://vimeo.com/15322917

Thanks

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

It's not there yet. I think you need more depth. The flying debris needs to look blurry and lighter towards the back of the tornado. You need a little bit more blur on the tornado itself. Also you need to work more on the tornado's shape...it's too boxy. It needs to be more funnel shaped. Try to add some more depth to the piece as a whole. It might also be a good idea to add more color variation to the tornado. Adding water drops or dirt or some sort of grit to the lens might also help sell this. I would also suggest throwing a couple adjustment layers over everything and color correct this thing. That will tie things together better. That's all I got for now. Keep it up! :D

about 24 minutes into this video Mo shows a nice and easy setup in c4d for doing tornado-like particle stuff.

although the presentation is in german, it is easy to follow along.

some nice tips, especially for making the shape more realistic.

douwe

Thanks for your thoughts. I have implemented some of them and am rendering as we speak. The tornado itself took so long to render 35hrs!(Pyrocluster bogs down my machine, brand new MAC Pro quad core doesn't work so fast with C4D 10.5, I hope to upgrade soon) Because of the slow render I'm not going to change the shape itself, at least for now, later when I have less going on I might be able to afford a new render but I think the suggestions given in other areas will help the overall piece.

Thanks

Brandon

Thanks for your thoughts. I have implemented some of them and am rendering as we speak. The tornado itself took so long to render 35hrs!(Pyrocluster bogs down my machine, brand new MAC Pro quad core doesn't work so fast with C4D 10.5, I hope to upgrade soon) Because of the slow render I'm not going to change the shape itself, at least for now, later when I have less going on I might be able to afford a new render but I think the suggestions given in other areas will help the overall piece.

Thanks

Brandon

You could duplicate the tornado render several times in after effects and arrange it in a manner that made it look more funnel shaped. Mess with masks, feathering, and scale. I really think the shape needs work.