Sign in to follow this  
BrandonRidge

Updated Reel, Need Critique

Hi Brandon,

Your reel is pretty good. Your out seems pretty strong. I do think that you could improve your intro. For one, your intro feels pretty long. You have a pretty good build up and then nothing really happens. I think you need a stronger transition to reveal your logo and a stronger transition to the work your presenting.

Your reel is a good length. I still think that your Severe Weather animation could use some work-the tornado shape seems off. Your strongest work is the Pama clip and the NBC open. Your weakest is the view master.

Keep it up, man. :D

Robby: Thanks for the feedback, it helped give me insight on what needs work and what you thought were my stronger pieces. I appreciate it.

My plan is to work for a company that does network/show branding so if anyone has any feedback that will help me land in a position like that I would appreciate it. There's one company in particular that I plan on sending it to this coming week so some quick response would be awesome.

Thanks

Brandon

Well, here's my best guess concerning how a studio will perceive your work: You're a junior 3d artist with some aesthetic sensibility but no complimentary design/communication skills. And they'll probably read your reel that way because it demonstrates that you only work in 3d, and you have some understanding of basic lighting setups and so forth. Your animation skills are in development, but there's not a whole lot of compositional sophistication or communication evident, which is some of the evidence suggesting a lack of design education. And at a branding-oriented studio that will mean that someone will have to spend a lot of time directing your work. You will, in essence, be valuable as a pair of hands to run a 3d app, at least here at the start of your career. And that's kind of the way it works for most people. So, in the long run, if you find yourself interested in network/show branding, you'll want to keep beefing up your 3d skillset to increase your value, but mainly educate yourself in design and communication. Make that your focus.

Binky,

Thanks for your input. I actually posted a reel a year or so ago that you gave me some feedback on, and it was much, much worse then, and I took those words at the time to heart and I've been working hard ever since to improve my skills, including going back to school and I am about to finish a design degree. I fully grasp that I am a jr. artist but I have a real passion to grow and continue to find ways to create motion graphics work. I hope that in another year or so when I post another reel, you'll be here to keep me in check and my work will be that much better then.

Thanks

Brandon

You're comin along, for sure. I'm just giving you the perspective of a studio. They'll be looking at how they can use you. Where your value to them is most apparent. And all you have is a reel to communicate that to them. Your reel is communicating a few certain things, so if a studio hires you, they'll probably hire you for those things. You'll want to continue to become more valuable to them in those specific ways while also continuing to educate yourself in design and whatever else on the side.

But all of that said, there's always the possibility of re-cutting your reel to emphasize some other skillset if you feel like you're not quite representing yourself. That's sort of a problem of self-marketing or positioning. Just depends on how you want them to see you. You don't have a lot to work with just yet, understandably, but you could for example reshape that tornado thing into something exemplary that might look more like a useable show title, y'know?

You're doin ok with what you have. Don't sweat it. But keep working to fill that reel out with high quality examples of things you'd like to be doing.

It looks like you got some pretty sweet 3D skills but some of your work in there doesnt truly reflect what youre capable of I think(the viewmaster and severe weather spots in particular). If I were you Id work on some personal projects that highlight more of your strengths and add those to the reel, since its pretty short as it is. If you already got a job though then congratulations and dont sweat it!

Edited by highfive

Thanks for all of the feedback, I agree with most of the comments, and will be keeping that in mind when I get to update my reel again. Thankfully this cut did the trick and I should be working with the company I was referring to here shortly.

Awesome. Congratulations, man.

You put a lot of thought into your music track, I like your intro because it animates perfectly with the audio.

All of your stuff was really nice, I think the weakest was your tornado piece, only because the tornado needs some tuning up.

I think the view master piece has a lot of potential! I would maybe add more of those stripe ribbons, and make the animation a little smoother. :)

You have a really good eye for design. I liked your reel a lot.