Sign in to follow this  
heau

Basics.

(edit) I guess what I mean to ask is if with just this information will I be able to go to more advanced skills on my own after I learn the basics?

I wrote the document that you linked to.

I recommend that you start here and work through the resources that I link to---methodically and in order:

"Getting started with After Effects (CS4 and CS5)"

That'll get you well on your way. If you actually follow all of the links that I provide, you can learn After Effects deeply and broadly.

I wrote the document that you linked to.

I recommend that you start here and work through the resources that I link to---methodically and in order:

"Getting started with After Effects (CS4 and CS5)"

That'll get you well on your way. If you actually follow all of the links that I provide, you can learn After Effects deeply and broadly.

ty, how does that differ from the link i posted?

ty, how does that differ from the link i posted?

It points to a different page.

Follow the link and see.

As I said, I wrote the document that you linked to, which is basically a reference document. The link that I provided is to a page that collects links to resources for beginners. Some of those resources are pages in the reference document.

i think the adobe help site is an awesome resource that barely any newbie ever uses.

but if you're game to go through those archives you'll be leap years above the rest and can take pride in saying you "read the manual" like a real man instead of hitting boards like this or creative cow like a little girl.

big ups to you heau.

And once your done with those, hit the Google. You will be surprised what you can learn on it.

I think that that is very bad advice. The web as a whole (which is what you're pointing someone to by saying "hit the Google") is full of garbage, with a relatively small fraction of materials being good.

See this post for better advice:

"How to search for After Effects tutorials, Help, and more"

I think that that is very bad advice. The web as a whole (which is what you're pointing someone to by saying "hit the Google") is full of garbage, with a relatively small fraction of materials being good.

See this post for better advice:

"How to search for After Effects tutorials, Help, and more"

i agree somewhat that using google can sometimes lead you to wrong answers. but that could be attributed to user ignorance. if you know how to search properly using google, then you will be much more than satisfied with your results.

most people who diss google are the types that look at the first two results, and then if not satisfied, diss google for life. read the first two pages of results and then walk away. the real gems are hard to find and are typically not officially adobe.

i stand behind google as the premier source for all your adobe, maxon, autodesk needs. and i back that with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

on a side note, kopriva you probably want more people using adobe forums so there's a larger archive of questions and answers that people can use a reference no?

the real gems are hard to find and are typically not officially adobe.

There are nearly 1,000 websites other than Adobe's website in the search engine that I pointed to in my previous post. It's not "officially Adobe". But it also doesn't include crap made by 12-year-olds on YouTube.

Sure, it's likely that I missed a few things on the edges here and there, but the overall likelihood of success for an After Effects user is much greater using the Community Help search than just a straight unfiltered Google search.

Think of it this way: It was someone's job for five years to do nothing but make that the best possible way for people to get information about After Effects. That someone was me. If that search engine doesn't do better than a plain ol' Google search, then I am really, really bad at my job.

yea you're right todd. hug it out bitch?

btw i haven't read all the AE help files but you did a hell of a job. thumbs up from me.

how much they pay for that job? and why did they put it all on you? i would think adobe was a multi-million dollar corp that could've at least given you a 2nd hand.

Edited by killkillakillyo

Alright Todd, you win. I didn't know the AE help was that extensive. Although I will not concede complete defeat because of your use of a custom Google search *cough* <_<

BTW, I have moved on to a different job within Adobe (a few months ago), so I no longer work on the Help document or the Community Help search. One reason why: It didn't matter how good a job I did; almost no one would ever notice. This thread demonstrates that there is such a deeply rooted set of habits and assumptions that it's a sisyphean task to try to get people to use the resources that we provide.

So, now I'm in technical support, because that's not a thankless task at all. Oh... crud.

If you follow the link that I gave, you'll see that the Video Copilot Basic Training series is one of the places that I point people---but not the first place.

Sorry Todd missed that I have the bad habit of reading the 1st couple of lines and then skimming the rest, seems you have all bases covered ;)

yeah, in my head there is a solid feeling that the official help for anything is probably useless. Guess it's from the old days. nowdays im always amazed at how useful it is to read the help file for stuff.

. . . it's a sisyphean task to try to get people to use the resources that we provide.

sisyphean - this gets my vote for The Best Word in a Mograph Post of the Year award. Nice.

So, now I'm in technical support, because that's not a thankless task at all. Oh... crud.

Heh, tech support and techpubs - both are a bit like being a security guard: if you do your job to the very best of your ability and even beyond...the net result is that no one will ever notice (nothing happens.) Make a mistake or mess up though, (the store gets robbed) and you're screwed.

No one ever calls or writes just to say "Hey, this shit works great, and I love it!" (ok, maybe rarely they might)

I feel your pain, brother.

yeah, in my head there is a solid feeling that the official help for anything is probably useless. Guess it's from the old days. nowdays im always amazed at how useful it is to read the help file for stuff.

I was completely awestruck when I saw how extensive the C4D help files were. And how easy they were to access for just about everything. Amazing.

Kids and their tutorials.

Whatever happened to trial and error?

Shit.

I know, it's ridiculous, really a bunch of lazy asses in some respects. Just try, fail, try again, fail again, try again and repeat.

Guest Sao_Bento

second that-

I have a feeling that the tutorial craze is what is driving everything beneath a certain level to look the same. Getting out of the biz and selling things to people trying to get into the biz is the new big biz to be in.