Sign in to follow this  
samwelkertv

I'm back with a better site! :D

Hey guys! I am back and I need critique again! Http://www.samwelkertv.com/ I used a wordpress this time. I also used a lot of critique from the last chat. Thanks for checking it out and and critiques! Means a lot! Also if you could vote on the poll. http://samwelkeriscool.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/movie-genres/ I need a lot more votes..

Thanks!

SamWelkerTV

Edited by samwelkertv

Hey guys! I am back and I need critique again!

ok, i'll go easy on you.

at least you're still there after, what was it, 5 or 6 months, so you're more serious about this than many of us expected.

essentially still the same message though :

Don't burn yourself long before you are able to actually impress.

You're gonna need a cleaner slate and mad skills before you risk raising your profile all over places like this like you tend to do.

got some sympathy for the "hey ho let's go" attitude though.

douwe

Okay thanks for the advice.. I do know I have a tendency to rush things. I will try to keep it calm until I have great stuff out there that really impresses people. I've moved my personal work to filmmaking and video effects after all that happened these past few months and I plan to work my tail off and make money doing such. I have good content.. I know this. Not all of it is up online, in fact my greatest stuff isn't online. I'm currently working on a project that is planned and should look good.. I will be doing lots of shorts and hoping to impress people with my work there. I have creativity and talent in filmmaking. I've acted for 5 years, and storytelling is something I know I'm capable of. Let's just hope i get lucky and have a video go some what viral after i put it out then get a lot of subscriptions on youtube.

I believe I have a good working plan of action:

Get good content made and put up on youtube.

Keep a good consistent view base.

After that either find a person/business to advertise on my videos or

Partner with youtube or

Maybe work to get on Revision3.com. Not sure on the last part yet.

But thanks for the help! I will work hard and keep things moving. I won't give up and that's a promise. Thanks for the help!

Sam Welker

It's hard to tell what exactly you're looking for when you post here. If you've got this stuff all figured out then great, start rockin it and we'll see you at the industry events. If you're looking for serious critiques...at this point it seems like you're not going to find too many around here. The well has been poisoned, so to speak.

Check out cargocollective.com for your site. And think about switching from youtube to vimeo.

Well I have done vimeo, but i get better results through youtube. Close enough in quality. And unlimited upload space for free. HD whenever I want to upload it. It just suits me better.

Kind of like Freddie Wong and Corridor Digital on youtube.

They're also my inspiration currently.

Thanks!

SamWelker

http://www.samwelkertv.com/

and I want that site picked apart in every way! I want to know what my videos can improve on and what my site can improve on!

What the fuck are you talking about? There is nothing that can be picked on.

Why? Because there is no content worth critiquing.

Imagine someone farting then apologizing for the smell, but in reality they never farted.

^ Best analogy I could think of.

And why the fuck do you paste your site every time you post? That takes courage and/or lost marbles.

Edited by hyp3

Sam....

Obviously the advice from your last thread didn't take... I guess I can only hope that if I'm harsh, it may actually help. So here it goes...

Shut down the site. Forever. Completely off.

Don't publish anything until you finish your schooling, decide what it is you want to do, and are looking for work. When you do post a site, post your work. Not regurgitations of tutorials you have done, or any bloggish content. Only your work. I would also advise you to either hire a copywriter, or don't say a thing on your site (my approach). Your words will only cause harm. Just show your stuff, and leave it at that. Use a new domain or everyone will be able to see what it used to be in a cached form.

Also, when it comes time to publish something, completely re-brand your image. Especially if your reaching out here on mograph.net where you are a legend that will be remembered for years (not in a good way). You need to make it so nobody remembers who you are, or puts the two together. The name Sam Welker is ruined here (what saint meant my 'this well is spoiled'). Consider it a branding exercise. Well... probably not so much an exercise as your personal branding will be the most important of your career.

You should also start thinking about money. Real money. No five dollar bullshit, or "little videos", unless you plan on living at your mom's forever. You probably won't be jumping into the world of freelance off the bat, so turn up the modesty, and look for an internship or something - if for nothing else, to fully realize how little you know at this point and learn from real experiences.

It's also been a good while into your FS program. Either your going really slow on your own (if its self-paced), or you really need to look into real schooling. Perhaps your wasting too much time creating endless versions of a pointless site?? Bury yourself in your books / training and don't come out. And aren't you in FS's Computer Animation program anyway?? Thats an all-3d program. What are you doing?? If you need money sooner than later, get an unrelated job until you can support yourself doing this stuff or get your foot in the door somewhere.

Nobody here is hating.. Not even hyp3. I assure you its all only much needed tough love. I really hope that in a couple of years I see some bad-ass student reel, and not even be able to connect it to what we have come to know thus far. Everyone loves an underdog / comeback.

Edited by AromaKat

Sam....

Obviously the advice from your last thread didn't take... I guess I can only hope that if I'm harsh, it may actually help. So here it goes...

Don't publish anything until you finish your schooling, decide what it is you want to do, and are looking for work. When you do post a site, post your work. Not regurgitations of tutorials you have done, or any bloggish content. Only your work. I would also advise you to either hire a copywriter, or don't say a thing on your site (my approach). Your words will only cause harm. Just show your stuff, and leave it at that. Use a new domain or everyone will be able to see what it used to be in a cached form.

Also, when it comes time to publish something, completely re-brand your image. Especially if your reaching out here on mograph.net where you are a legend that will be remembered for years (not in a good way). You need to make it so nobody remembers who you are, or puts the two together. The name Sam Welker is ruined here (what saint meant my 'this well is spoiled'). Consider it a branding exercise. Well... probably not so much an exercise as your personal branding will be the most important of your career.

You should also start thinking about money. Real money. No five dollar bullshit, or "little videos", unless you plan on living at your mom's forever. You probably won't be jumping into the world of freelance off the bat, so turn up the modesty, and look for an internship or something - if for nothing else, to fully realize how little you know at this point and learn from real experiences.

It's also been a good while into your FS program. Either your going really slow on your own (if its self-paced), or you really need to look into real schooling. Perhaps your wasting too much time creating endless versions of a pointless site?? Bury yourself in your books / training and don't come out. And aren't you in FS's Computer Animation program anyway?? Thats an all-3d program. What are you doing?? If you need money sooner than later, get an unrelated job until you can support yourself doing this stuff or get your foot in the door somewhere.

Nobody here is hating.. Not even hyp3. I assure you its all only much needed tough love. I really hope that in a couple of years I see some bad-ass student reel, and not even be able to connect it to what we have come to know thus far. Everyone loves an underdog / comeback.

Well two things.. I know i ruined my name here, but i haven't ruined it elsewhere. I am no longer at full sail (I was quickly unimpressed with their schooling) and i am fully aware that no one here is hating. Trust me, I've come a long way from the person I was 5 months ago. I am currently branding myself as a visual effects artist and I am not planning on stopping. I am glad you gave me your advice, however I don't think i'll take it all. I have a route set that I am sure to work, Nothing in little fun graphics. I plan to work in film for life. I may even try to get payed making videos on youtube. I have the capability. I just haven't tried hard enough yet. Also, fiverr, agreed. That is a waste of my time and money. I'm currently working as a photographer for weddings and events and making good money for my age. I can still make it into this industry, mainly because I haven't really stepped into the film world online yet. I have maybe one account on a film forum but the online part of me that got all screwed over was in graphic design, the area I don't plan on touching.

I am getting a lot of hits on my site. I won't lie a good amount are from this site, however, I get 50 to 150 hits a day from other sites and such. Not negative locations like this one. I'm hitting 100 to 200 hits a day on my site, and getting feed back. I've been live for 4 days. I've gained more subscriptions on youtube through this site. I am seeing results. The difference now is my target audience. The world you seem to believe I want to work in has an adult target audience. My current audience is 10 year old kids to 18 year old teens on youtube who want to watch cool videos and learn how this is done. I am not working for five dollars any more. I figured out what i believe my time is worth right now and I'm working hard to make money doing that. One day I may want to work on a project projected at adults, however I don't think that will be any time soon. Also Independent films, I've worked on some locally and I have gained a lot of knowledge through there.

What I'm trying to get at is I've set things in motion and if I get off now I'm not sure how things will be able to start up later as.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep checking back, but I'd really prefer that I just get critique on what I've asked for. I know you're trying to help, but i promise you, even if it takes 10 years I will be working in this industry (Filmmaking) and making a good living.

Sam Welker.

Sam....

Well two things.. I know i ruined my name here, but i haven't ruined it elsewhere. I am no longer at full sail (I was quickly unimpressed with their schooling) and i am fully aware that no one here is hating. Trust me, I've come a long way from the person I was 5 months ago. I am currently branding myself as a visual effects artist and I am not planning on stopping. I am glad you gave me your advice, however I don't think i'll take it all. I have a route set that I am sure to work, Nothing in little fun graphics. I plan to work in film for life. I may even try to get payed making videos on youtube. I have the capability. I just haven't tried hard enough yet. Also, fiverr, agreed. That is a waste of my time and money. I'm currently working as a photographer for weddings and events and making good money for my age. I can still make it into this industry, mainly because I haven't really stepped into the film world online yet. I have maybe one account on a film forum but the online part of me that got all screwed over was in graphic design, the area I don't plan on touching.

I am getting a lot of hits on my site. I won't lie a good amount are from this site, however, I get 50 to 150 hits a day from other sites and such. Not negative locations like this one. I'm hitting 100 to 200 hits a day on my site, and getting feed back. I've been live for 4 days. I've gained more subscriptions on youtube through this site. I am seeing results. The difference now is my target audience. The world you seem to believe I want to work in has an adult target audience. My current audience is 10 year old kids to 18 year old teens on youtube who want to watch cool videos and learn how this is done. I am not working for five dollars any more. I figured out what i believe my time is worth right now and I'm working hard to make money doing that. One day I may want to work on a project projected at adults, however I don't think that will be any time soon. Also Independent films, I've worked on some locally and I have gained a lot of knowledge through there.

What I'm trying to get at is I've set things in motion and if I get off now I'm not sure how things will be able to start up later as.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep checking back, but I'd really prefer that I just get critique on what I've asked for. I know you're trying to help, but i promise you, even if it takes 10 years I will be working in this industry (Filmmaking) and making a good living.

Sam Welker.

What the fuck are you talking about? There is nothing that can be picked on.

Why? Because there is no content worth critiquing.

Imagine someone farting then apologizing for the smell, but in reality they never farted.

^ Best analogy I could think of.

And why the fuck do you paste your site every time you post? That takes courage and/or lost marbles.

Fine then, just tell me i need more content without dropping several f bombs for no reason.. Seriously..

Sam, you gotta give it a rest man. You're passionate, and thats awesome, but your pointing your enthusiasm in the wrong direction. You want to work in film? You say you've been on a set before? Ever seen what happens when an AC busts focus on a lock off? They're fired. Ever seen a second flash a mag of film? They're fired. It can be brutal out there and you need to be prepared before you jump in head first.

It takes a lot of time to learn all the ropes (be it on set or doing motion design). You're going to work jobs that you think are shitty. Accept that now, and it will make life a lot easier down the line. I used to tell myself I'd never do an unpaid internship because my time is worth money. What I didn't realize is that there are a lot of smart/talented people out there willing to teach me for free, but I have to have the right attitude. Right now you have the wrong attitude. You're basically telling everyone here to fuck off because you've got it figured out. Your profile says your 17 so let me assure you, you have nothing figured out. Do some research, find a place that will teach you some things, and listen to them. Don't pull this "I am no longer at full sail (I was quickly unimpressed with their schooling)" bullshit. Like it or not they know more than you do, and you could have learned some good stuff there if you weren't so hard headed.

Aside from all the other brilliant advice in this thread, all I can offer is this.I wish I had been into design when I was 17, instead I didn't get into it until my mid 20's. Now I'm just getting to a level where I feel like I can contribute on some level in a studio environment (maybe). You've got a hell of a head start, don't blow it.