Sign in to follow this  
iline

My 9520x1050 Comp Render Fails on Frame #1

Hey hey. I'm usually the go-to guy on horrific, arbitrary render failures but this has me stumped. I have a massive comp ( going out on 4x projectors in the real world) which fails at the first frame. I have tinkered with the cache settings, secret prefs, used a PC to look at the comp, pre-rendered all precomps and heavy fx layers, and now I have about 15 layers of masks, mattes and solids with gradients on them and a few full-size layers of video.

Mac OSX Leopard on 32-bit non intel (at least 4 of our boxes are of a similar standard and we've tried them all)

AE CS3

using DFT 55mm and tripecode (mostly all pre-rendered...)

I was thinking that I could use a 64-bit machine and try that, but i'll report back on that. This comp has always rendered when set to Half res, so we didn't see this coming. Needless to say we're delivering within the next 72 hours.

I may have recourse to CS5 on 64-bit, has anyone saved themselves in a similar way?

cheeeyars!!

Just really seems like your asking a lot from a weak machine and an old version of Ae. Try the background render from Aescripts.com

Sometimes rendering in that through terminal can bypass the frame buffer failures your experiencing.

fingers crossed.

Hey hey. I'm usually the go-to guy on horrific, arbitrary render failures but this has me stumped. I have a massive comp ( going out on 4x projectors in the real world) which fails at the first frame. I have tinkered with the cache settings, secret prefs, used a PC to look at the comp, pre-rendered all precomps and heavy fx layers, and now I have about 15 layers of masks, mattes and solids with gradients on them and a few full-size layers of video.

Mac OSX Leopard on 32-bit non intel (at least 4 of our boxes are of a similar standard and we've tried them all)

AE CS3

I was thinking that I could use a 64-bit machine and try that, but i'll report back on that. This comp has always rendered when set to Half res, so we didn't see this coming. Needless to say we're delivering within the next 72 hours.

I may have recourse to CS5 on 64-bit, has anyone saved themselves in a similar way?

cheeeyars!!

Yeah, frame buffer for me has all but disappeared with cs5. Are you cropping your elements in your frame down to absolutely your comp size? Or are there elements that could be reduced to manually cropped down. I.E. A lot of times I do dumb stuff like put a bunch of huge textures in 3D space as a background when a simple pre-rendered loop would have sufficed.

c

AE CS3

I would concur with the others. The comp size sounds about right in terms of breaking the magic ceiling for 32bit AE on all its memory consumption plus you never know how much those effects take up, too. I'd definitely try this on a 64bit machine, if splitting up the comps into separate pieces is not an option...

Mylenium

I eventually nailed it by taking out layers one-by-one and hitting cmd+M until it seemed to get past frame 1. It was three things: 1: Massive comp 2: Crap computer (a neighbouring 32-bit intel box took 1h40 to render the final comp, my machine reported 27h ETA but actually squeaked it out in 7 hours, 3: Video Copilot Reflect applied to huge parametric precomps.

There's a lesson in itself - complain more loudly about using piss-poor workstations to make comps at 9800 pixels wide...and don't use weak plugins when duplicating and rotating 180 on the X axis would suffice...

If you are doing a huge comp, it is always worth throwing together a "worst case scenario" test render, before you commit to a particular solution. That way you can have an idea of whether the system is up to it, and how long your renders may take.

I just finished a job with a 7050x1050 screen, showing three or four 4.5k Red camera clips simultaneously. I upgraded to CS5 before I started, to give myself the best chance from a memory handling point of view. I was using minimal effects, primarily Colorista II to grade the footage.

My only real problem was that Colorista II defaults to GPU processing, and my video card couldn't handle it at full resolution; having switched to CPU processing, everything was fine.

My render times for a four minute film were around 17 hours, which was manageable.

By the way iline, what technology was used to play out your footage? Ours was handled with Delta Media Server, which looked pretty good once a few issues were ironed out.